Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Yay! First real game.
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2005, 02:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Yay! First real game.

Hi everyone. I just came home from GW with a friend. We played 2 games together and one other game with 2 other very friendly people. I have found out that railguns are super-effective at killing tanks. Also, mech Tau is simply AMAZING! Using a Devilfish and 1 squad of FW's, I am able to kill almost at least 5 SM's every time I use the tactic. Using a Hammerhead, I can kill two or three every game but another tank. When I played against the other two people, my teammate wanted the Hammerhead in the game so I was playing static mostly. Even though we were losing (did not get to finish), it was so much fun. The chapter he was playing really make me mad though. All the special rules like terminator armour on normal SMs and all this other stuff...
I also learned that on normal GW game tables, going first is critical. When I play with lots of boxes with friends, there is usually no line of sight the first turn you move and we are not allowed to shoot if there is.

I have a some questions though.

The other team had deployed their marines already in cover and on top of buildings and such. Is this allowed? I though we had to deploy at the edge of the table. This gave him a huge advantage.

Are you allowed to shoot through windows in normal 40k?

Say some ruined buildings have holes or something in the middle of the wall or with many verticle bars(forget what is called but they are like supports), can he still shoot through it?

What are the point of hills? They dont provide cover because a unit around the hill can still see the head of your guys.

Thanks.
Old 21 May 2005, 08:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Yay! First real game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3n4m31zm1k3
I have a some questions though.

1. The other team had deployed their marines already in cover and on top of buildings and such. Is this allowed? I though we had to deploy at the edge of the table. This gave him a huge advantage.

2. Are you allowed to shoot through windows in normal 40k?

3. Say some ruined buildings have holes or something in the middle of the wall or with many verticle bars(forget what is called but they are like supports), can he still shoot through it?

4. What are the point of hills? They dont provide cover because a unit around the hill can still see the head of your guys.

Thanks.
Ok here goes: -

1. This allowed as long as the cover was in his deployment zone. You can place any squad any where you like within this zone so no they dont have to be directly at the table edge . I forget the distance from the edge our allowed to go though...

2. Yes you are, as long as the shooting model has line of sight it is allowed, but if you are shooting at the guy in the window he gets a cover save.

3. Yes, read the answer to question 2.

4. The hills do provide cover actually, yes you can usually still see your opponent but it is not as much as if there was no hill so in the actual fact it is providing marginal cover meaning you get a cover save.

Next...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 21 May 2005, 14:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Cover saves are pretty much useless for Tau or SM's right? The save is equal or less to their armour save.

My opponent was still in his "quadrant" but the towers were very far from the end.

I didnt know you could shoot through windows! :-\

I like the rules I play with my friends better.

Next time ill put some more terrain on my side to even it up.
Old 21 May 2005, 15:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

No cover saves are great. Lets say your firewarrior squad is in a building. The building provides a 4+ or 3+ (can't remember) cover save. You will always get this cover save against any weapon unless it says ignores cover in their profile. So let's say that your firewarrior squad gets hit by a heavy bolter (str 5 ap 4) Since this negates your regular armor save you would normally die, but since you are in cover you get a 3+ or 4+ save. So you would get the cover save against the strongest weapon in the game and live.
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Closed Thread