Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Black Sun Filters. Worth it just incase?
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 20:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Black Sun Filters. Worth it just incase?

Well if you're playing gamma or omega rules you always have a chance of night fight! It is rare since you need to roll a 6 or a 1(for turn 1) for dusk and dawn. But those times you do roll it, you'd have a very good advantage if you took them. However, they're not really worth the points unless you have them to waste in the first place. Hrm.
Old 20 May 2005, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef
Default Re: Black Sun Filters. Worth it just incase?

No, not with infantry, not with tanks. But if I have a spare 5 pts, then sure, why not, Ill slap that on my HH!
Old 20 May 2005, 20:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not for dusk to dawn situations, but for tournaments and campaigns you definately want to invest in the filters.
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 20 May 2005, 20:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The BSF is actually one of the few Tau upgrades that lends itself well to mathmatical analysis.

If we're playing standard missions and we assume we're rolling for the level (1-2 = Alpha, 3-4 = Gamma, 5-6 = Omega) then we can figure it like this:

The "Dusk and Dawn" special rule applies to Gamma and Omega level missions... which will be played 2/3 of the time. If we are playing a mission that uses "Dusk and Dawn", we will have a 1/3 chance of having at least one turn of nightfight. Therefore, in the average game, we can expect there to be:

2/3 x 1/3 = 2/9 turns of nightfight.

Let's first consider the use of a BSF on a Railhead. This tank is usually gunning for enemy armor. Let's take a Predator as the "typical" target. A Railhead has a ~30% chance to destroy or immobilize a Predator (these are the results that matter for victory point purposes). Therefore, if we multiply the number of turns of nightfight by the chance to kill a Predator and then multiply that by the cost of the Predator, we get:

.222 x .30 x ~135 = 8.9

This is how many points you should be willing to pay for a Blacksun Filter. Since the BSF costs 5 points on a Hammerhead, it is worthwhile.

Now lets consider the BSF's use on a Broadside. The Broadside's chance to destroy or immobilize a Predator is a little better at ~33%. Therefore our calculation becomes:

.222 x .33 x ~135 = 9.9

Since the BSF costs 8 points on a Broadside, it is also worthwhile... but less so than on the Hammerhead.

This analysis made several important assumptions which may or may not be valid:

1. Your opponent has brought tanks
2. There is a tank that is still alive by the time the nightfight turn(s) arrive
3. Your Railhead/Broadside is still alive by the time the nightfight turn(s) arrive

Furthermore, I didn't consider the application of BSF's to IonHeads or Crisis Suits. That is because these units aren't capable of killing valuable enough models in one turn to really ever justify the cost of the BSF. The only time this might be the case, is if there was one lone member of an expensive squad and a BSF allowed you to finish him off thereby granting you the other half of that unit's VP's. However unusual situations like this are very difficult to model.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 May 2005, 22:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Black Sun Filters are very handy. They're much better than your typical search light, which does not do much for you. Night Fight can be a really bad match up for a Tau player who doesn't have an army list which can take advantage of it. For example, a big suit army with tanks and Fire Warriors will not be doing much in a Night Fight turn other than running because they simply won't be seeing anything or shooting at much. A more close range oriented army packed with stealthsuits and kroot on the other hand may be better suited for the night fight game.

The black sun filter is really a minimal cost to throw on your hammerheads. When you're playing a small game, sure, forget about them and just buy yourself more models. But once you're even at 1,000 points, allocating a small upgrade like that just to your hammerheads is not really a waste. The first time you have a night fight game with a ion cannon hammerhead and you cannot see the marines or necrons, you'll wish you had those black sun filters for example.

It's really a taste issue, as some people simply don't bother, but really the Black Sun Filter is very useful. It's just it's more useful on certain models than others. It's not very useful on FireWarriors, Shas'ui, etc in general. However, It's cheap and useful on Commanders and Hammerheads and XV-88's, with it being ultimately the best when taken on a Hammerhead.
Old 20 May 2005, 22:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Absolutely not worthwhile taking on a commander of any sort; there is nothing it would work with. No deepstrike on first turn, so fusion (tank killing) wouldn't be able to shoot, and nothing else could make up it's points in that one round of shooting shot.
Old 20 May 2005, 22:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by VV1LD
Absolutely not worthwhile taking on a commander of any sort; there is nothing it would work with. No deepstrike on first turn, so fusion (tank killing) wouldn't be able to shoot, and nothing else could make up it's points in that one round of shooting shot.
So you don't think the black sun filter would work with missile pods?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 20 May 2005, 22:46   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm, seems to me that putting it on an XV88 would take up valuable hard points. Wouldn't you be better off with drones, a shield gen, etc? Even if it is a squad leader and has 2 spots, aren't there better things to put on it? I know if it was a night fight it would rock, but is banking on that chance worth it?
Old 20 May 2005, 22:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainik
Hmmm, seems to me that putting it on an XV88 would take up valuable hard points.
The BSF can't be brought in a hardpoint. It can only be hardwired. That is why I said it costs 8 points... 5 for the upgrade to teamleader and 3 for the BSF.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 May 2005, 22:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've been thinking about putting them on the HHs. On the HQ would be nice since you could HW it.