Building a Tau Army - Part 1
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Building a Tau Army - Part 1

[size=14pt]Starting a Tau Army[/size]

Hi Everybody!

This is my first article for the TO newsletter but I thought I would post it here as well so all could read! It's a Tau orientated piece, aimed mainly at beginners but hopefully will make good reading for all!

[size=12pt]First Up – Starting Off and Buying Stuff![/size]

What to buy first? Well if you haven’t already the codex is the best buy, familiarise yourself with the rules and the units and get a taster of how you want your army to be.
* *Of course I cannot create an army to appeal to every single player, but what I will try to do is create one that is solid composition wise, a fluffy (typical in ‘real life’) Tau army, and also one that would do well against all foes!
* *The first actual buy should be that of the Tau Battle-force. Battle-forces are an excellent way to begin an army and will save you a lot of money. Within the Tau force we get a nice range of models, you have the potential for a solid army with 1 HQ, 2 ELITES, 2 TROOPS and 1 FAST ATTACK already!
* *Despite this the best way to start checking out your new army is in 400pt combat patrol battles. You won’t be using all your models, but it gives you an opportunity to see how each type of unit will fare on its own.
* *To be able to field a competitive Combat Patrol immediately I suggest buying one Devilfish troop transport then you are away…Choose a colour scheme and get painting!

[size=12pt]Secondly, the army itself[/size]

In combat patrols there are certain things you know for definite you won’t be facing. Th rules for combat patrol you can find in the back of the fourth edition Warhammer 40k rulebook for further details.
* *Most armies have access to at least one vehicle, either transport or light skimmer, so it’s essential to have the weapons that can take down the enemy vehicles fairly quickly.
* *Furthermore it can be very helpful to take some armour of your own. Right on the legal limit the devilfish is your only option, but provides the fire warrior cargo with a safe haven from assault and a mobile platform to keep out of trouble and pick the next firing point.
* *The Fire Warrior and Devilfish option is an obvious choice but a very effective and flexible one too! Equipping the Fire Warrior team with a Shas’ui and the Devilfish with decoy that makes a 215-point squad. With 185 points you still need a few numbers to bulk up that army and some heavier weapons…
* *With the models you already have you are fairly limited, but the battlesuits can be kitted out to suit any enemy and are ever present in most tau armies. Furthermore if you turn to your Kroot, you have some infiltrators who have a nice number of shots with their rifles and 3 attacks per model on the charge!
* *It is no crime to take Kroot in small units, and 10 is pretty much all you are going to afford if we are going to be able to squeeze in a couple of battlesuits as well! Use these models to infiltrate and harass, keeping in cover (preferably jungles!) to lure and hide while your fire warriors and battlesuits do the damage!
* *So finally we just have the two battlesuits to configure and a tight budget of 115 points to play with. Firstly some missile pods are about the most versatile option you can take. Excellent range, decent AP, good strength and rate of fire. As you have no real anti-tank prowess in this army then taking a twin linked missile pod will do for one suit nicely! (57 points…a versatile flamer fills the other slot as this must be done to make the suit legal). The same configuration can be done with the other crisis suit, however I advise taking twin linked plasma rifles for this one. They can knock out light skimmers and also are excellent at cracking those models in power armour! This puts you two points over, hopefully that isn’t too much to ask of your opponent! If not than switching the flamers to (totally redundant!) target locks or multi-trackers puts you at 400points exactly!
[size=12pt]
So what was that army list again?[/size]

[size=8pt]TROOPS –

12 Fire Warriors, Shas’ui
Pulse Rifles

Devilfish Troop Transport, Decoy Launchers – 215pts

10 Kroot Carnivores – 70pts

ELITES –

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit, - 57pts
Twin Linked Missile Pod, Flamer

XV8 Crisis Battlesuit – 60pts
Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Flamer

TOTAL – 402
Model Count – 24 (1 Vehicle)[/size]

Brought to you by your friendly Aun'Ro'Elan 42
Old 20 May 2005, 18:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to wera Send a message via MSN to wera Send a message via Yahoo to wera
Default Re: Building a Tau Army - Part 1

[size=20pt]WOW[/size]looks good ;D ;D
Old 20 May 2005, 18:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I would probably slap some tealth in there for begginers! THey are easy to use and get good results!
Old 20 May 2005, 19:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

would be good certainly, but an effecitve team means buying at least 3 stealth blisters....so thought about ahving to buy models etc. as well and the need to get up and playing as soon as possible!

However stealths should be coming laong at the next stage!

Old 20 May 2005, 19:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, the battle force is really worth it for the $90. Perhaps thats why I got 3 of them!

But for all you out there who are starting out, The battle force and codex should be your first purchace. It is a good starter for your army. After that, Devilfish to carry your troops around. And following that, you need either stealth or a Hammerhead (both Tau NECESSITIES)!
Old 20 May 2005, 19:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

well you will just have to wait for the next issue to find out what happens next! (of the TO newsletter i mean!)

Old 20 May 2005, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh Boy, I cant wait!
Old 20 May 2005, 20:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

I STILL haven't got mine... *fumes*

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 20 May 2005, 21:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Looks pretty good

Couple little things though (small things):
  • [size=7pt]
    "goo dreading" I assume you weren't letting the taint of chaos influence that one

"To be able a competitive Combat Patrol immediately" Missing a couple words, but otherwise, going well...

"Th rules" Lacking a little letter there.
    [/size]

Nice starter for people who are just getting into the game, picking up Tau and purchasing a battle force to get started gaming as soon as possible. You mentioned a fast attack choice and mentioned the next purchase of a Devilfish, but you didn't mention much about those 10 Gun Drones that they're going to have which may be pretty useful as an alternative to Kroot or a Devilfish should they simply go for more units with jet packs to learn to use (scoring units too that is).

Final note is that it may be helpful to mention page 182 for combat patrol rules for people who are starting may not even be familiar with the rule book itself quite yet.

Good job! I look forward to the next installment.
Old 20 May 2005, 21:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Looks pretty good

Couple little things though (small things):
  • [size=7pt]
    "goo dreading" I assume you weren't letting the taint of chaos influence that one

"To be able a competitive Combat Patrol immediately" Missing a couple words, but otherwise, going well...

"Th rules" Lacking a little letter there.
    [/size]

Nice starter for people who are just getting into the game, picking up Tau and purchasing a battle force to get started gaming as soon as possible. You mentioned a fast attack choice and mentioned the next purchase of a Devilfish, but you didn't mention much about those 10 Gun Drones that they're going to have which may be pretty useful as an alternative to Kroot or a Devilfish should they simply go for more units with jet packs to learn to use (scoring units too that is).

Final note is that it may be helpful to mention page 182 for combat patrol rules for people who are starting may not even be familiar with the rule book itself quite yet.

Good job! I look forward to the next installment.
Thanks for the proof reading.

On the actual article I know it may not be everyone's cup of tea list wise but that is just how I have done it trying to make the army fluffy, competitive, cheap and fun to play with! Of course its only a guideline, experiment at your will!