Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau newbie
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 03:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau newbie

Hi, I've played Blood Angels for the past 8 years or so, and it's time for a change. After deliberating over some different codexes I decided on Tau. I am either going to buy a new battle force to start with or buy something already together used, but overall cheaper. I need help deciding, so my question is:

Do the crisis battlesuits come with multiple detachable arms similar in design to the space marines dreadnought? Or does it have to be permanently glued on?
Old 20 May 2005, 03:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
Hi, I've played Blood Angels for the past 8 years or so, and it's time for a change. After deliberating over some different codexes I decided on Tau. I am either going to buy a new battle force to start with or buy something already together used, but overall cheaper. I need help deciding, so my question is:

Do the crisis battlesuits come with multiple detachable arms similar in design to the space marines dreadnought? Or does it have to be permanently glued on?
yeah u have to glue them on but u could make holes and use magnets or clay to hold them in place

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 May 2005, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

so like in the battle force the crisis suit would come with all their suit options?
Old 20 May 2005, 04:04   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
so like in the battle force the crisis suit would come with all their suit options?
yes they do the battle force is a great way to start

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 May 2005, 04:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Warning Label

i just bought one this weekend after switching from SMurfs and it is the best way to start. fully functional outa the box and just a great way to start. now if only they showed ya how ta make those damn trees......
Old 20 May 2005, 04:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

The only things missing are the big guns and the transports <3
Old 20 May 2005, 05:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lance - your next question should be "What is a useful setup on my crisis suits"

Answer = Twin Linked Missile pods + target locks for 2, and a flamer for the third. My reason for this is all the other weapons besides plasma (which is shady) can be filled with other units we have, and better I might add.

Flamers on your suits is just asking to get assaulted but here it fills points and gives you another option a third target lock doesn't.

Burst cannons are fine weapons but unless you know you're facing a swarmy army with low armor saves, you are wasting valuable slots on your suits.

Plasma - Generally overused by tau players everywhere but a good weapon. Expensive and denies saves. Doesn't overheat but it has a lower strength than the imperial one. Good range but low rate of fire/high price hurts it.

Missile pods - Excellent range, good strength for busting tanks being able to glance 13's and penetrate 12's. I use them as rhino busters and for eldar vehicles.

Fusion - Niche weapon. Some people swear by deepstriking "lone" suits with twin linked fusion, but you really are better off using your railguns for breaking armor. Good weapon but limited range hurts it especially on relatively fragile suits.

My general opinion - unless you have a very good idea what you're going up against or a glaring hole in your army otherwise, stick to the twin linked missile pods on your non HQ/Bodyguard suits.

Hq's and bodyguards can get away with a twin linked weapon + unlinked weapon + multitracker for a lot of shots a turn but with standard crisis suits I would suggest NEVER using them with two weapons and a multi-tracker. You are investing a lot of points in a multi wound unit that can be auto killed by all sorts of nastiness with only a 3+ save so you should try not to take any weapons that require you to get too close or inaccurate ones due to our 3BS.

Good luck!
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 20 May 2005, 06:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the help

I really liked the missile pod stats, so that was my obvious first choice. A second choice for my suits would be the plasma rifle, because I like the ap and strength. a twin-linked missile pod like you said is probably a better option. I want to suit my suits (heh) to fight horde armies like orks, which I'll probably be facing on a regular basis. If anyone has any experience using their Tau to kill orks, I'd appreciate your wisdom in that realm also.
Old 20 May 2005, 08:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you play horde armies, hammerheads and stealth suits are your best friends. Then again HHs and stealths are always your best friends. ???

TL missile pods are a great weapon option - the suit kits come with one MP though which means you can only TL a MP if you buy two boxes and then don't give the 2nd suit a missile pod at all. Same goes for any other TL weapon option.

The burst cannon on crisis suits is largely a waste b/c it's cheaper to buy stealths to get a BC.

My suggestion is to start with a basic 'el and not going crisis crazy until you know exactly what you want to play.

Using magnets to mount the weapons is the best option since it lets you swap out stuff as you find out what works best.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 20 May 2005, 10:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeth
Fusion - Niche weapon. Some people swear by deepstriking "lone" suits with twin linked fusion, but you really are better off using your railguns for breaking armor.* Good weapon but limited range hurts it especially on relatively fragile suits.
But Deep Striking Fusion Blaster carrying Crisis is fun...

On the subject of taking out Orks, not only are Hammerheads and Stealth suits very useful but so are massed Fire Warriors which can obliterate Orks with such a high number of strength 5 shots. Though not many people here do that as for as i am aware because they near enough all use Mech Tau in which case large amounts of FWs are not used, because they are all mounted in Devilfishes. But they are definitely worth having large amounts of against any horde army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Closed Thread