Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Tao of the Tau: Mechanized Armies
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 02:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The Tao of the Tau: Mechanized Armies

I have read the Mechanized Tau Bible and looked over the forums here, but I am still a little unsure about how the Tau actually do the dirty work, the killing, in a mobilized army. I know the Hammerheads blast a lot of things, as do Stealth Teams, Crisis Suits and Pathfinders (if any). However, what about the Firewarriors? I have read a lot about FoF in Mechanized Armies, but at the same time, I often read how Firewarriors mainly aim to 'preserve their victory points', which is to say, run away and hide so they don't get blasted or ripped limb from limb.

Do I rely mostly on my Tanks and various Suits to do the killing? Jumping in and out of range and shooting with the right guns for the right job, while my Hammerheads blast things to smithereens? Do my Firewarriors just hang around until turn 5, then jump out and claim the objectives?

I hope I haven't missed this topic explained in more detail somewhere else. If I have, please point me in the right direction so I know where to go and read up on this.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: The Tao of the Tau: Mechanized Armies

actually, firewarriors play a fairly important role in mechanized tau armies, or atleast how I play them. Their job is to find any unit that strays from the enemies main army and FoF it, then get out of their so their not sitting ducks to enemy anti armor and infantry fire, and then repeat the process. with kroot, just infilitrate them into cover within 18" of the enemy, and shoot the enemy. With that you get a cover save and first strike if the enemy attacks. every unit in a mechanized tau army has its role.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 20 May 2005, 02:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

well it depends on you if you want you can FoF isolated units if u dont like saveing em for VPs.you could also moov them with suits and stuff for a mbile fire line.
Old 20 May 2005, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

You can embark and disembark in the same turn without losing your movement, right?

If so, then just remember that. You can move your FoF 12" every turn, which is more than enough to harass the enemy line.

If not, then ignore me.
Old 20 May 2005, 07:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega62a
You can embark and disembark in the same turn without losing your movement, right?

If not, then ignore me.
Ignore him. You can not embark and disembark on the same turn, nor can the FWs move once they disembark (must remain within 2" of the access point).

Quote:
Do I rely mostly on my Tanks and various Suits to do the killing? Jumping in and out of range and shooting with the right guns for the right job, while my Hammerheads blast things to smithereens? Do my Firewarriors just hang around until turn 5, then jump out and claim the objectives?
Yes and no. For the most part, the killing is in fact done by the HHs, suits, and kroot. In a completely mech tau army your FWs are there to grab objectives or finish off isolated units. Most good opponents won't leave units all by themselves to get FoF'd nor is the FoF the be all & end all of mech tau tactics (the bible has a tendency to give some people that impression). Instead it's meant to mow down an already crippled unit or take out something that's isolated and unsupported. So, in many cases your FoF FWs are hanging out until around turn 5. That does not mean they have to be mounted up though - you can have them standing next to their DF and firing 30" single shots for the first couple turns of the game if need be.

I think the main objective of playing mech tau is to avoid being forced into being purely static - that doesn't mean you can't have static elements (most people refer to these armies as hybrids), but rather that the majority of your force is meant to be able to move during the game. Contrast that with IG or shooty marines who often are forced to stand still in order to use their heavy weapons.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 20 May 2005, 12:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
In a completely mech tau army your FWs are there to grab objectives or finish off isolated units.
The rapid-fire Firewarrior dismount is a killing blow. I use my Firewarriors in a defensive role. I pepper the enemy with my Suits/Heads as they march across the table, and then on the turn they move to within assault range, I dump the Firewarriors and finish 'em off. In many armies, there are slower elements and faster assault elements. I also often use my Firewarriors to counter the faster assault elements... but again, in a defensive manner.

Quote:
nor is the FoF the be all & end all of mech tau tactics (the bible has a tendency to give some people that impression).
I agree. It's unfortunate that many have a slanted view of Mech Tau. To a lot of people, Mech Tau means, "bringing Firewarriors mounted in Devilfish and executing FoF's". Then people ask what the FoF is, get directed to the one page in The Guide to Mech Tau that describes it, and don't bother reading the rest.

For some other views on how Firewarriors fit into a Mech Tau army, read this.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 20 May 2005, 14:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
I agree. It's unfortunate that many have a slanted view of Mech Tau. To a lot of people, Mech Tau means, "bringing Firewarriors mounted in Devilfish and executing FoF's".
The Dakka discussion on FoF is a good example of this. I've steered clear of the firestorm over there. After reading the back and forth debate, I decided there was no point in just giving Ed one more person to contradict. I've got to admit I'm impressed at how you've managed to stay very civil... Ed's a hoot but he and his ego can be a little too much take in large doses. :

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 20 May 2005, 15:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

Quote:
Quote:

If not, then ignore me.
Ignore him.* * You can not embark and disembark on the same turn, nor can the FWs move once they disembark (must remain within 2" of the access point).
I stand corrected.* Damn.

The movement thing though, was referring to rapid-fire weapons.* Can you still use your 30" rapid fire shot after disembarking, just like you can disembark Pathfinders and fire Markerlights in the same turn? (That's what I've been told can happen, anyway, but that was 3rd edition rules.)

If this is true, you've still got a damned good start.
Old 20 May 2005, 16:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If not, then ignore me.
Ignore him. You can not embark and disembark on the same turn, nor can the FWs move once they disembark (must remain within 2" of the access point).
I stand corrected. Damn.

The movement thing though, was referring to rapid-fire weapons. Can you still use your 30" rapid fire shot after disembarking, just like you can disembark Pathfinders and fire Markerlights in the same turn? (That's what I've been told can happen, anyway, but that was 3rd edition rules.)

no i dont think u can do that because it a hevy weapon but u do get a free turn with pathfinders before the first turn so they can get set up so on turn one they can ML

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 20 May 2005, 16:22   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If not, then ignore me.
Ignore him.* * You can not embark and disembark on the same turn, nor can the FWs move once they disembark (must remain within 2" of the access point).
I stand corrected.* Damn.

The movement thing though, was referring to rapid-fire weapons.* Can you still use your 30" rapid fire shot after disembarking, just like you can disembark Pathfinders and fire Markerlights in the same turn? (That's what I've been told can happen, anyway, but that was 3rd edition rules.)

You may not fire at the 30", since you count as moving. Pathfinders may not fire their markerlights on the turn they disembark, nor could they in 3rd edition.
Closed Thread