Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker drone and sniper drone uncertainties.
Old 07 Dec 2008, 19:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Marker drone and sniper drone uncertainties.

I do believe that the codex overrides the rulebook for special situations. The rulebook states that jet packs units gain the relentless rule. Gun drone squadrons are jet pack powered, and therefor relentless even though they don't gain any real benefit from it. In the tau codex on page 31, marker drones unit type is "as owner." Do they still have the relentless rule?
I bring this up because I was thinking about giving my carbine squads drone controllers with a marker drone or two, but if they are as owner do they become infantry. Infantry cannot fire Heavy weapons while moving, but a "networked markerlight" isn't necessarily stated on the weapons page. Even if it is, I can't see how it suddenly wouldn't be able to move and fire with the rest of the squad.
I have the same thought with sniper drone teams. Technically the squad is labeled infantry, but that would only apply to the spotter I would assume. I don't see why the squad couldn't move and fire, without the spotter being able to fire only his networked ML, but he could still fire his pistol.
I know you shouldn't try to bend the rules in your favor, but do I have reasoning behind my thinking, or should I just pack this up until the next codex comes out and play by the rules exactly?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Marker drone and sniper drone uncertainties.

This has been covered a lot when the switch to 5th ed was done. Here it is in a nut shell.

Independant gundrone (fast attack slot) are relentless since they use the same jetpack as a suit.

"Wargear" drones (marker, sniper, shield and gun) take the same type as their controling unit.They have relentless if and only if the controling unit has it (eg it is a XV-8 or Xv15/XV25 suit) otherwise it does not have relentless (treated as simple infantry).

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 19:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

This subject has ben covered fairly comprehensively. It was concluded that since marker drones become "Infantry" and not "jump infantry" when they join a squad of pathfinders, fire warriors or broadsides, then they lose their jetpacks because they are no longer jump infantry. Thusly they are no longer relentless.

The result being that you cant take marker drones with fire warriors and move and fire the heavy weapons because they are no longer relentless. Similarly, Sniper drones cannot fire and move because they are not relentless and never can be because they must be taken with a spotter, who is an infantry type. As such, they become infantry and are not relentless. Even if the spotter dies then all the drones go with him because of the drone controller.

The only way to move and fire marker drones is if you take them with a squad of crisis suits, where they still count as jump infantry or if you take them with stealth suits where they still count as jump infantry.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2008, 20:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Alright, clears all my confusion up, thank you.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote