Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

9 sniper drone teams?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 9 sniper drone teams?

Has anyone tried a maxed out heavy weapons allotment of sniper teams? I mean; YIKES! That's 27 ap3 snipers and 9 markerlights!

Has anyone ever tried it?

Anyone ever thought about it?

Sure, the only drawback is at the cost of any sort of Railgun.. but still, I was recently thinking of a list that is severely limited in railguns anyway: O'Shovah. It seems snipers are not part of their 0-1 limitations for being out in the boonies!

So here's what I'm thinking: O'Shovah Suit list, with ~14 Crisis Suits, some firewarrior Objective teams.. and a gazillion sniper drones- taking care of the little things so the suits can take care of the big things.- or if all else fails, precisely blasting enemy units off of objectives with sniper fire and markerlight assisted "Crisis hosedowns" (9 markerlights, remember)

I'm fielding this idea to get others' opinions- like would I need to go fully committed to 9 sniper teams to get meaningfull results[sniper fire volume and markerlight in numbers benefits], or would I be able to settle with only 6 sniper teams and A.S.S. Broadside team? Or would 6 teams and a skyray be a better fill for the anti-tank role? With such heavy anti infantry/MEQ in the form of the snipers, the Crisis could shift more to heavy weaponry for tank hunting- but how much of a shift? Ya see? Id like to get others opinions on all this sorta stuff.

I do know that the all-suit list concept took a severe hit with 5'th edition scoring unit changes [of course right after I bought all the crisis models!], but I still want to field an O'Shovah army with lots of Crisis suits. Just for the looks of the army all arrayed out. And was thinking the sniper team spam may actually be a good fit for O'Shovah: Full teams of 3 Crisis Suits would dearly love 2-3 markerlights assisting them, and in general 9 markerlights is a beautifull thing to think about when you think about cover save negation.

The game plan would be brutal- Let the big guy go have his fun, the 9 wound units of crisis [4 of them] duking it out in flashy Elites-style, while the 27 snipers kill off all the enemy scoring units or pesky power suits walking around out there -cover be damned- then tally up the leftovers at the end of the game to see who won. Win or lose it aught to be a fun game- assuming my opponent can get over the whole "Sniper SPAM!!!" hangup.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 9 sniper drone teams?

A few things to consider, while it would be very cool to see on the table theme wise, your leaving yourself weak in the AT department, being forces to rely onclose range melta's to deal with heavy armor. While it will be incredibly useful against monsterous creatures (aka nidzilla) it will seriously lack against CC and flanking armies or podding armies for that matter.

The one big problem i see with it is your loss of mobility, which is what tau excell at.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

read you codex again. Unless you play (or plan to play) apocalypse, what you are proposing is so illegal it's not funny anymore.

You can only have a maximum of 3 sniper drone teams for 1 heavy weapon lsot and you can only have 1 such weapon slot. it's in the description.

So I seriously doubt anyone tried it.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Nov 2008, 20:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ooooh oh oh... [embarrassed face] Sniper drone teams are indeed a 0-1 FOC slot max- ah well.

The concept would have been nice though... maybe a little too nice, thus the 9 snipers [3 markerlight] restriction.
Old 01 Dec 2008, 06:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I coulda' sworn this conversation was just had a little bit ago... like only a few days ago.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Dec 2008, 08:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I coulda' sworn this conversation was just had a little bit ago... like only a few days ago.
Thats because it did.