Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

snipers and shield drones
Old 22 Nov 2008, 20:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones
Default snipers and shield drones

Hey I just had a few questions. Firstly Do sniper drones and the spotter have to keep coherency just like all other squads because I saw a pic on Games workshop websight of tau against IG and the sniper drones and the spotters were like a foot apart. Secondly If a shas'ui in a fire warrior squad buys a shield drone from the armoury does it protect his entire squad or just him.

Thank you
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2008, 21:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: snipers and sheild drones

The Spotter and the three Drones he has are a single squad, so yes, they have to maintain coherency. How ever, if you buy more than one squad, the squads don't need to maintain coherency (As like combat squads for Space Marines).

And as far as Shield Drone go, they become another model in the squad for wound allocations that have an invulnerable save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2008, 21:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

1) The sniper drones and the spotter must amintain unit coherency. Just like any other unit with a drone controller.

2) The shield drone doesn't offer specific protection. It's just another moel to allocate wounds to.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2008, 10:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjones
Firstly Do sniper drones and the spotter have to keep coherency just like all other squads because I saw a pic on Games workshop websight of tau against IG and the sniper drones and the spotters were like a foot apart.
I am taking it you are talking about more than one unit of sniper drones? In this case you can get 3 units of Snipers as 1 Heavy support slot. These are all individual units, so you only need to maintain coherency on the UNITs - Ie. One Spotter and 3 Drones. If you Take 2 Units you can happily place them on opposite sides of the table as long as both units maintain there normal coherency.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 12:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Isn't this kinda counter productive, I mean the idea behind having sniper drones is that you can have the dron far away and the drone controller safely somewhere else while he snipes....
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Nov 2008, 12:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendoikari87
Isn't this kinda counter productive, I mean the idea behind having sniper drones is that you can have the dron far away and the drone controller safely somewhere else while he snipes....
Why would you say that?

They all have to be stationary to fire anyway and all have the same range, and having the drones some distance off reduces the usability of the networked markerlight. Having them together would be far, far better in my opinion.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Also, having them apart is against the rules. The Spotter essentially has a regular drone controller. According to the rules for a drone controller you must maintain unit coherency as the drones are just another model in the unit.

Now if you're talking about having 3 sniper drone teams as 1 heavy support choices then by all means seperate them. They act as 3 seperate units, but are 1 choice.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 23:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendoikari87
I see where he's going with this. The drones are for the spotters protection. He's using to drones to triple his shots, and provide protection. So why is he up in the thick of things and not hiding somewhere safe? Kinda like the US Predator drones. The pilot could be like 1000 miles away. He's not running under it!

Ignore the markerlight part and then think about it.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2008, 23:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to rtjones

OK thank you. You guys have really helped me understand some rules here.
rtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2008, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
The Spotter and the three Drones he has are a single squad, so yes, they have to maintain coherency. How ever, if you buy more than one squad, the squads don't need to maintain coherency (As like combat squads for Space Marines).

And as far as Shield Drone go, they become another model in the squad for wound allocations that have an invulnerable save.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
I am taking it you are talking about more than one unit of sniper drones? In this case you can get 3 units of Snipers as 1 Heavy support slot. These are all individual units, so you only need to maintain coherency on the UNITs - Ie. One Spotter and 3 Drones. If you Take 2 Units you can happily place them on opposite sides of the table as long as both units maintain there normal coherency.
I was wondering the same, and this is a slightly confusing answer.

say I deploy 3 sniper squads (3 spotters 9 drones)
according to this I can deploy them into three of the four corners of the map?
but still have to maintain unit coherency of 2in. within the groups of 4 models?

say I place the spotter in terrain and behind a large boulder, then place next model exactly 2in. away, behind a tree, and next model 2in. further away, behind a rock and the final model 2in. further on, in open terrain, so that I am essentially deployed out over 8in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote