Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What makes a good kill team?
Closed Thread
Old 17 May 2005, 18:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What makes a good kill team?

I can only get online at schoo so you won't get a reply from me till tomarrow and tonight i'm gonna bone up on the rules for a kill team mission. all i want to know is what concepts make a good kill team. if you know what i mean.
Old 17 May 2005, 20:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: what makes a good kill team?

Tejis:

In Tau, what makes a good kill team is the simple power of the pulse rifle. You merely need to be able to shoot, and no matter what you're facing, 12 pulse rifles will deal death to them. Tau firewarrior Kill Teams are actually too powerful in Kill-Team (in my opinion) as they just out-range everything and have really strong basic weaponry. You don't need much for a Kill-Team except imagination.

Unfortunately, Tau can't be overly customized such as Guard or Chaos kill-teams for example.

An alternative could be Pathfinder teams, as they're smaller but have a more mobile oriented weapon in the entire squad (pulse carbine) and can have more flavor as they're more scouting and all, compared to fire warriors.

Basically - all you need is any weapon in the Tau arsenal, and good range. If you avoid combat like the plague, you'll win the Kill-Team pretty much too easily with them.
Old 18 May 2005, 15:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

A really nifty kill team that I have is:

Shas'vre Stealth Suit (breaks two rules: more than 2 shot weapon and different unit selection)
Drone Controller and 2 Gun Drones
4 Pathfinders w/ EMP Grenades
1 Pathfinder w/ Rail Rifle and EMP Grenades

There is some other stuff but I don't have the sheet with me so I don't remember.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 18 May 2005, 15:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

just to point out the pathfinders actuly break too many rules (heavy weapons (markerlights)) and the devilfish will raise a few eyebrows as they cant be taken without one.......
Old 18 May 2005, 15:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

I have an all-stealthsuit kill team which seems to work well...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 18 May 2005, 16:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxev
just to point out the pathfinders actuly break too many rules (heavy weapons (markerlights)) and the devilfish will raise a few eyebrows as they cant be taken without one.......
i think an oppoenent should be lenient on both of those things...

Consider a kroot team perhaps as well, even taking kroot mercs if you want a larger variety (ok that isnt tau but a close option!).

The most fluffy choices after the pathfinder would certainly be stealthsuits, however with only 5 of these models allowed it may be tricky. Just remmeber they get some speical rules when fielded in kill team!

5 Stealths, Shas'vre and Silencers would be a nice combo IMO.

As MalVeaux said if you are jsut worried about performance than a fire warrior team would be best. Write some fluff then convert the models a bit and you could have a nice team going there.

All in all its either the stealths or some fire warrirors with character, get both and see how they do! Part of the fun comes in modellign kill teams and individulaising the models so the palstic fire warriors may be the easiest choice to do this for.

Old 18 May 2005, 23:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

just a note, but in kill teams musts are ignored. hence u can use kroot or pathfiners.

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 19 May 2005, 02:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Yeah, pleanty of stealth suits would actually make a good team, although, you would be breaking alot of mutable rules, so the brutes get more stuff.

My question is though, for the brutes. If a kill team breaks tons of rules, so the brutes get extra points to spend, I can spend them on my Boss right. Now for a boss for Tau, it must be a Shas'ui. Now a Crisis is a Shas'ui, so if my opponent breaks enough rules, can I use a Crisis if points are provided?

As for the pathfinder deal, they dont need to be taken in a devilfish. And all squad minimums are lost. Hence, you can take 1 stealth , or 1 pathfinder.
Old 19 May 2005, 02:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

unfortunetly u cant take a suit, it adds and extra W and u can only use 1 W models. Besides that, i dont think the codex actually has a pt cost for suits.

"We are the might of Tau'va and the Aun. Our might knows no bounds and our Technology can overcome any foe. We are the Omega Cadre and we conquer in the name of TAU'VA!!!!" Common pre-engagement encouragement from Shas'Ui of the Omega Cadre before battle commences.
Old 19 May 2005, 14:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Each Stealth breaks one rule (No weapon that can fire more than 2 times). And on the subject of Markerlights I think GW said those don't count because you can't ML for your own squad so the ML are useless.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Closed Thread