Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau engineers (earth caste)
Closed Thread
Old 21 Nov 2008, 00:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default tau engineers (earth caste)

i've always been interested in tau technology, so i came the idea of tau earth caste engineers in their' own self-made battlesuits. They would be alot grittier looking, almost to the point of an ork kan... maybe not :P. they would have hands switched out and really big eyes lenses... and maybe huge powerfists! tell me what you think.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 00:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: tau engineers (earth caste)

Well fluff says that they do work with heavy machinery and suits designed for building, but also they have special earth caste drones that do allot of the work.

Old 21 Nov 2008, 02:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It wouldn't be very fluffy, since the Earth Caste (and basically everyone who isn't fire caste) abhors fighting, and probably wouldn't be allowed into the battle zone anyway.

It might happen every now and then, but not often enough for it to be an actual 40k tau unit.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 03:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Unless its an objective in a game. Then making these models is fluffy. A deep strike attack way behind the battle lines and Earth Caste members get caught in the middle/trapped and need a rescue mission.

It would be cool to make some of these, maybe a holiday project.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via Yahoo to Hairy Grim

I can easily imagine them being Jetpack Techmarines...
Old 22 Nov 2008, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yeah, i just thought it might be cool to have combat engineers like they have in imperial guard.

its part of the rules, if u give them a forge world tech drone then it says you can make a unit combat engineers... it might mean something else though...
Old 22 Nov 2008, 05:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I couldn't really see their being anyone with a direct battlefield role outside of the fire caste. I'm sure there have been situations where the Earth Caste has been forced to defend itself from an enemy onslaught but I imagine that this would be in conjunction with and under the direct supervision of the Fire Caste since war is their business.

Similarly, I'm sure that in that very situation the Earth Caste would be forced to hastily build defenses and in doing so would need the extra man-power which would be provided by the fire caste. However, the Earth Caste would be directing that operation.

It would be very interesting to see a Tau scenario that involved members of the Earth Caste. They could repair vehicles and provide technology that would give benefits to the Fire Warriors doing all the shooting. However I couldn't see them really doing a lot of the direct combat. I could also see them using Battlesuits that are specifically built for construction as well. It would basically have the same stats as a regular crisis suit. It just wouldn't have any weapons.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 06:48   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

There might be an interesting story there. The Earth Caste seems to have been the principle opponent of the Fire Caste in the early history of the Tah. The other two were traders and messengers. But when the Ethereals arrived, it was really the Earth caste who had their swords turned to plowshares. Where they once protected themselves with technology, now they were asked to rely on their former opponents for protection.

We know the Water Caste dislikes fighting, but it is the Earth Caste that builds all of these supremely destructive weapons in the first place. The business of the Fire Caste is fighting, but they do not hold a monopoly on war. It is the Earth Caste that designs all those myriad ways for the Fire Caste to kill. I wonder if there are not other tensions being suppressed by the Tau'va. All of the castes had their own ways of doing things.

So I could see the odd Earth Caste taking a more active role if circumstances became dire enough.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 07:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
There might be an interesting story there. The Earth Caste seems to have been the principle opponent of the Fire Caste in the early history of the Tah. The other two were traders and messengers. But when the Ethereals arrived, it was really the Earth caste who had their swords turned to plowshares. Where they once protected themselves with technology, now they were asked to rely on their former opponents for protection.

We know the Water Caste dislikes fighting, but it is the Earth Caste that builds all of these supremely destructive weapons in the first place. The business of the Fire Caste is fighting, but they do not hold a monopoly on war. It is the Earth Caste that designs all those myriad ways for the Fire Caste to kill. I wonder if there are not other tensions being suppressed by the Tau'va. All of the castes had their own ways of doing things.

So I could see the odd Earth Caste taking a more active role if circumstances became dire enough.
Y'know that is a very interesting point you've brought up there. I guess maybe a situation that is dire enough could potentially rekindle the Earth Castes flare for killing.

I wouldn't see them fighting directly though. They'd probably use complex fortresses and automated defenses. So I could see them being relatively few in numbers but with some fairly terrifying guns. On the other hand the Fire Caste would have ferocity, individual combat skill, and numbers on their side. could prove interesting.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 07:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris

Y'know that is a very interesting point you've brought up there. I guess maybe a situation that is dire enough could potentially rekindle the Earth Castes flare for killing.

I wouldn't see them fighting directly though. They'd probably use complex fortresses and automated defenses. So I could see them being relatively few in numbers but with some fairly terrifying guns. On the other hand the Fire Caste would have ferocity, individual combat skill, and numbers on their side. could prove interesting.
This is Mon'tau we're talking about here, my friends, contain yourselves!