Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau engineers (earth caste)
Closed Thread
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:48   #21 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: tau engineers (earth caste)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
I always imagine Earth Caste having beer bellies. :P
How very helpful that is, thankyou for contributing. :P
I contributed earlier. Read the thread.

From all discriptions I've read about the Earth Caste, they're shorter and more portly than the other castes. And most mechanics (of the blue collar variety) seem to have a beer belly...

Then again, we should also remember the Fio are artisans as well, not just mechanics.

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but to reiterate, Fio would probably use unarmored XV8s.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:51   #22 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos

Wouldn't it make sense for a vehicle cadre on a long mission to have a mechanic attached to it?
Thankyou Mr X, that's a very good idea. ;D Someone to fix that devifish that blew a casket. (not sarcastic )

Anyway - perhaps the earth caste longs for war like they had "the terror". And who's to stop them from wearing special issue systems if they made them themselves? Or even systems they havent told the fire caste about yet...

Old 23 Nov 2008, 18:52   #23 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Well, folks, there's always going to be a particular amount of cross-training involved there.

While Shas'la tank crew in the field probably wont be able to fix something like a battle cannon shell right through the sho'aun'or'es generator - they will be versed enough in vehicle maintenance to perform routine or emergency repairs on their own vehicles with the help of support crew like Devilfish recovery vehicles or even DX-4 technical drones.

Shas'la should, in theory, also be able to fill the role of "Combat Engineer", erecting battlefield defenses, laying mines and traps, and defusing/displacing the enemy's.

In addition, Shas'la will be able to fill the billet of "Combat Medic", being able to perform basic life-saving first aid with their medi-packs whilst awaiting the medevac 'Fish to transport the casualty to a field triage center.

---

IMHO, where the Fio come into play in the combat theater are when something catastrophic happens to a piece of equipment that is beyond the scope of a Shas'la's maintenance ability (replacing entire Hammerhead/Devilfish engines/armor panels/generators/weapons systems/etc.), as construction crew and overseers for standing up field expedient bases of operations (like the builder drones from Dawn of War - but hopefully well out of the line of fire), and as full-fledged doctors and surgeons at triage centers, field hospitals, or crewing ambulance-type Devilfish for treating casualties.

Given the Fio's distant past as hardened combatants and their codex/novel-stated stoicism and hardiness, I highly doubt they'd be that adverse to getting their hands a bit dirty or even serving in a hot combat zone - but I wouldn't expect them to be doing menial stuff that a trained Fire Warrior should be able to do himself.

Fio are technical experts of their craft, and would likely only be present on a battlefield to perform such roles as previously stated or supervising training regimens of Shas'la who are learning how to become better tank crews, combat engineers, or medics.

Fio also would probably not be utilizing XV-8 armor if there's no need for them to. They can perform just about any task given to them while on foot or crewing a modified Devilfish transport (with the proper amount of repair/construction/medical equipment and tools loaded in the rear).

Hope this helps.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:01   #24 (permalink)
Shas'O

I meant the Fio XV-8 as an unarmored lifting exoskeleton, not for combat. :P
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:13   #25 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO earth caste FTL, HAHHAHHHA

Warning given - no need for this post
Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:23   #26 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

I know - but what would a Fio need to lift in a combat zone that he needs an XV-8 to do?

He has a small army of drones (DX-4 and otherwise) custom-made to do such lifting for him! He only needs to direct and supervise those drones, while occasionally dispatching one or two to the back of his Repair-a-Fish transport for tools, and viola!

People underestimate just how much of a logistical nightmare a war really is. There's probably countless pieces of Tau technology we have yet to see (obviously because this a wargame and the fluff beyond the scope of that is lost on us, leaving me to ponder) that many will assume don't exist at first.

Loader/Lifter drones that can be dispatched from supply depots and reload Sky Ray missiles, replace spent XV-8 missile pod canisters without the pilot having to disembark, and drop hot chow and water for the Shas in the field. Kor'vesa orbsats that have only been seen in Fire Warrior but have the highly important role of serving to augment the Tau with a reliable global positioning system and relayed communications to the opposite side of the world. Drone surveyors that map the DTED data of the planet which the Shas are fighting on, to enable the GPS systems to give those Seeker Missiles accurate elevation data so they don't miss by a mile!

Hell, we've all been told in the codex that all our Fire Warriors should be able to drop from altitude from a Manta, but still haven't been shown the piece of equipment (grav-chute or otherwise) that allows them to do that!

I pose a question; with the information at hand, when a Hammerhead goes down - and goes down hard - and gets stuck in a bog; how do you presume the Tau will retrieve it? Don't see any winches on those Devilfish, do you? DX-4 are probably too small to be lifting 24 tons, eh?

There's got to be some kind of specialized repair/recovery vehicle out there (no doubt manned by Fio and probably using the same modular chassis as the Hammerhead) that can retrieve the Gunship, position it for the work crews, and possibly tow it back to base/prepare it for aerial extraction if the tank's too busted up to fix right then and there.

Not everything has to be an offshoot of the XV-8, you know.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 23 Nov 2008, 19:28   #27 (permalink)
Shas'O

True, I forget just how extensively the Tau utilize drones.

Always rely on Doombringer to bring in some awesome Tau thoughts. :P
Old 23 Nov 2008, 20:11   #28 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
There's got to be some kind of specialized repair/recovery vehicle out there (no doubt manned by Fio and probably using the same modular chassis as the Hammerhead) that can retrieve the Gunship, position it for the work crews, and possibly tow it back to base/prepare it for aerial extraction if the tank's too busted up to fix right then and there.
that is an interesting idea,but I imagine an Orca,with the center portion of its hull removed,with lifting winches etc. and a full repair facility

Not unlike the tank carrier thunderhawk, or an Eagle from Space 1999...?

Just thought,
...Orca mobile field hospitals?

"Lem otesh, lem koem dath kian na slidd"
-Raiph Hastoisista of the Iaereabelah

"We saw the fall of our race and we laughed,
We see the galaxy wreathed in war, and we laugh,
We know the futility of the universe and laugh and laugh!"
- A Shadowseer of the Dris'suith.

"La mayyitan ma quadirun yatabaqa sarmadi
fa itha yaji ash-shuthath al-mautu qad yantahi"
Old 23 Nov 2008, 20:19   #29 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Certainly an interesting, and useful possibility there Mon'Tor!

Orcas with droppable bay doors and lifting winches would certainly be our best bet, but in a heavily forested region or in an area of dense urban sprawl the Tau would have to have a vehicle of comparable size and displacement to retrieve the downed tank (not unlike the relationship between the M1A2 and the M88).

Regardling the Orca hospitals, I'd imagine the Orcas would have to be set up pretty far behind the "lines" though - they aren't really armed for the task of being forward-deployed and their rather large footprint would mean they'd make convenient targets of opportunity, plus landing in a dense urban environment would be problematic. There's quite a bit of room in there for a few hospital beds and plenty of supplies though.

Perhaps Medevac-Fish (think military ambulances, like this) can be on-site to evacuate casualties to the landed Orcas in the rear.

If the casualty is deemed too far into critical condition for the Orcas to handle, the casualties are conveniently already in an orbit-capable transport craft and the Fio can evacuate the casualty further to established hospitals and ICUs aboard ship in orbit.

Doombringer

Old 23 Nov 2008, 20:27   #30 (permalink)
Shas'La

hmmm, I have always thought of grav vehicles as helecopters

Eldar tanks are a little bit russian in style?

and the 'fish is the equivelent of the american
Huey?

otherwise I agree with the med-fish idea
(the nurse shark?...lol)

*also landing may not be nessacery to recover vehicles with an Orca, winchmen linkup cables and it is airlifted out, far quicker than trying to tow it out with a 'fish?

although I agree that situations could arise where another small recovery vehicle may be required.

"Lem otesh, lem koem dath kian na slidd"
-Raiph Hastoisista of the Iaereabelah

"We saw the fall of our race and we laughed,
We see the galaxy wreathed in war, and we laugh,
We know the futility of the universe and laugh and laugh!"
- A Shadowseer of the Dris'suith.

"La mayyitan ma quadirun yatabaqa sarmadi
fa itha yaji ash-shuthath al-mautu qad yantahi"
Closed Thread