Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First army
Old 19 Nov 2008, 23:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default First army

Okay so I'm just starting to get into warhammer 40k and I've come up with some basic ideas about what I want for my 1000 pt army, and would like some comments/suggestions on improvement but mostly on commander, I can't decide which to get. well here's what I have so far.

2x xv8 Crisis battlesuits
2x burst cannons
24x fire caste warriors
4x bonding knife
2x hammerhead gunships
2x railgun turrets
2x two burst cannon
2x xv88 broadside battlesuits
2x Devilfish APC

Point total: 926
Points Remaining: 74

so I need a 74 point or less commander...

Break down goes like this

Tau Special Assault kau'ui

Commander: Dolos Nagisa
Unit Callsign: demonic nightmare
Nickname: Demonic Nightmare
Height: 6'2"
weight: 120
Bio: (not really tau but from another RP, will fix later) Former engineer, joined to help in the fight for freedom from the earth federation.
Role: Blitzkrieg style Combat
Personell: 41

Unit: 31st Heavy Assault La'rua
Codename: Grim Reaper
Commander: Uri Nay Ium
Nickname: Uranium
Height: 7'
Weight: 250
Bio: Big, bad and mean, a hyper violent man
Unit colors: red/black
Unit composition:
XV88 Broadside battlesuit x 2
Hammerhead gunship x1

Unit: 52nd Assault La'rua
Codename: Binary
Commander: zig
Nickname: Sparky (for hacking abilities)
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 100
Nationality: American
Bio: High technology geek, was thought to be water caste multiple times
Unit colors: green
Unit composition:
XV88 Broadside battlesuit x 2
Hammerhead gunship x1

Unit: 106th Infantry La'Rua
Codename: Sunrise
Commander: Karren moor.
Nickname: white dragon
Height: 5'
Weight: 122
Bio: Upperclass british girl from side three. was at one time a lover of Dolos. Adoptive sister of Alexander.
Unit colors: Yellow/white
Unit Composition:
Fire caste warrior x6
Devilfish APC x1

Unit: 105th Infantry La'rua
Codename: Sunset
Commander: Alexander zitsef
Nickname: Black dragon
Height: 6'
Weight: 150
Bio: British gentleman, and nobleman. Adoptive brother of Karren.
Unit colors: Black
Unit composition:
fire caste warrior x6
Devilfish APC x1

Unit: 102nd Infantry La'rua
Code name: Swansong
Commander: Shion Mikatski
Nickname: Majestic Swan
Height: 4'8"
Weight: Undiclosed
Bio: Spunky and Patriotic, she is a private school drop out.
Unit colors: white
Unit composition:
Fire caste warrior x6

Unit: 104th infantry La'rua
Codename: Neurotoxin
Commander: Aki xipher
Nickname: Viper
Height: 4'7"
Weight: 90
Bio: Brown eyes Black hair and Spunky.
Unit colors: blue/green
Unit Composition:
Fire Caste Warrior x6

I just realized this was in the same thread as my other so i'll deleate the other as soon as I can figure out how, but I was trying to find the build forum for tau......
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 00:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: First army

hmm... This is very nice. i would however raise your point value to 1500, because it is much more common to have a 1500 point battle than to have a 1000 point battle. Very impressive how much work you put into it. If you do decide to do a 1500 point battle i would recomend to put in a hammerhead.

taubroadsidecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 00:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubroadsidecommander
hmm... This is very nice. i would however raise your point value to 1500, because it is much more common to have a 1500 point battle than to have a 1000 point battle. Very impressive how much work you put into it. If you do decide to do a 1500 point battle i would recomend to put in a hammerhead.
A third hammerhead? Oh and anyone know where to get the twin burst cannon turrets? I know they burst cannons suck (or so I've been told) but they look so dang cool!

PS. If it go 1500 point, which I won't since our gamestore down here usually does 500-1000 point, i'm dropping the two crisis suits and going with four broadsides.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Or a skyray missile defence gunship. Or if you don't want that you can always get some sniper drones and an aun' va. Or another option is a kroot squad. They are great for cc and necessary for a tau army.

taubroadsidecommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 02:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by taubroadsidecommander
Or a skyray missile defence gunship. Or if you don't want that you can always get some sniper drones and an aun' va. Or another option is a kroot squad. They are great for cc and necessary for a tau army.
Not really a kroot fan... but snipers sound fun, I haven't yet located a dealer that has them... at least not one that displays prices in USD instead of GBP
Old 20 Nov 2008, 02:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

It depends on what army your facing. REMEMBER TO TAKE UNITS TO COUNTER YOUR OPPONENT'S UNITS! This is probably the most important thing to remember when making your list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
For an infantry based list: (guard for example)
Take as many template weapons as you can as these kill infantry fast! The best template weapon in the tau arsenal (imo) is the hammerhead railgun. This said, you'll want a minimum of two hammerheads with railguns. For the third heavy support, you'll ether want a third hammerhead or some broadsides. Broadsides should only be used if your opponent has some nastry or pesky vehicles in his army. Use the broadsides to take out your opponent's heavies while your hammerheads drop templates on the enemy troops. For your troops its pretty straight forward: tons of fire warriors! These troops are great at killing anything that gets in range of their pulse rifles and preform even better when backed up by kroot. Lastly, use up the rest of your points on crisis suits. Get a good HQ crisis suit and then fill up your elite choices with crisis suits.
For vehicle based army: (mech eldar)
Switch one of your hammerheads for another broadside team. This may seam like over-kill but its worth it to get those nasty tanks out of the game on the first few turns. Then come in with the infantry and the crisis suits and mop up whats left. In tank based armies, after the tanks are gone, the infantry usually falls easily.
If you ever start collecting tau, (and I strongly recommend that you do so, its a great army thats really fun to play and paint imo) get the all important codex and then get the battleforce. This huge box comes with everything (except the codex) you need to start playing and its best buy in the entire store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendoikari87
Not really a kroot fan... but snipers sound fun, I haven't yet located a dealer that has them... at least not one that displays prices in USD instead of GBP
Have you tried the Games Workshop website? They got it all for delivery

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 10:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by L
It depends on what army your facing. REMEMBER TO TAKE UNITS TO COUNTER YOUR OPPONENT'S UNITS! This is probably the most important thing to remember when making your list.
For an infantry based list: (guard for example)
Take as many template weapons as you can as these kill infantry fast! The best template weapon in the tau arsenal (imo) is the hammerhead railgun. This said, you'll want a minimum of two hammerheads with railguns. For the third heavy support, you'll ether want a third hammerhead or some broadsides. Broadsides should only be used if your opponent has some nastry or pesky vehicles in his army. Use the broadsides to take out your opponent's heavies while your hammerheads drop templates on the enemy troops. For your troops its pretty straight forward: tons of fire warriors! These troops are great at killing anything that gets in range of their pulse rifles and preform even better when backed up by kroot. Lastly, use up the rest of your points on crisis suits. Get a good HQ crisis suit and then fill up your elite choices with crisis suits.
For vehicle based army: (mech eldar)
Switch one of your hammerheads for another broadside team. This may seam like over-kill but its worth it to get those nasty tanks out of the game on the first few turns. Then come in with the infantry and the crisis suits and mop up whats left. In tank based armies, after the tanks are gone, the infantry usually falls easily.
If you ever start collecting tau, (and I strongly recommend that you do so, its a great army thats really fun to play and paint imo) get the all important codex and then get the battleforce. This huge box comes with everything (except the codex) you need to start playing and its best buy in the entire store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendoikari87
Have you tried the Games Workshop website? They got it all for delivery
Yeah I never saw the sniper drone team...
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you're starting out, and have never played 40K before, I'd suggest you first play smaller games...

I hate to quote myself, but, here we go, this is from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
-The Codex Is Your Friend: Judging - or even playing - an army without an Codex is simply not possible. I play Tau since they came out, and I still turn the car around if I'm going to a game and realise my Codex is still at home.

-The Rulebook Is Your Friend, Too! Same thing as with the Codex.

-Starting Small Is Not A Shame: Really, it isn't. Especially with armies that virtually live through their special rules like Tau (Jet Packs, Stealth Fields, Markerlights...), commanding 1500 Points at the same time can be daunting.

-But Not Too Small: A game revolving around Shas'la Korst and his trusted-but-demented Kroot Sidekick is not much fun. Be sure to bring a tank, as well! ;-) around 750 points should be a good start.

-You Can, And You Will, Lose: It happens; especially when you're young and new to the Hobby. Better get used to it.

-There Is No Super Army: No army grants you an auto-win, and every army needs YOU to make the right decisions at the right time. Thats the whole point of 40K. Every army can beat every other army.
On your Crisis: Don't use Burst Cannons. A typical Tau army has already loads of S5AP5 shots; you need the other stuff the Crisis offer - Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters.
If you want to field BCs, just add Stealths - they're more cost-efficient, AND have a Stealth Field!

As for your Bios... most of this stuff is not really Tau-like; also the sub-unit names are not Tau-like. The Cadre itself usually has a name, and it is possible to name units or groups of units, but this whole "106th Airborne" doesn't work. The Tau don't build their Cadres like that. A Cadre is a Cadre, it doesn't have components that are split off over time, they are trained together, fight together, die together (hopefully not before serving the Gereater Good).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 14:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
If you're starting out, and have never played 40K before, I'd suggest you first play smaller games...

I hate to quote myself, but, here we go, this is from another thread:
Quote:
-The Codex Is Your Friend: Judging - or even playing - an army without an Codex is simply not possible. I play Tau since they came out, and I still turn the car around if I'm going to a game and realise my Codex is still at home.

-The Rulebook Is Your Friend, Too! Same thing as with the Codex.

-Starting Small Is Not A Shame: Really, it isn't. Especially with armies that virtually live through their special rules like Tau (Jet Packs, Stealth Fields, Markerlights...), commanding 1500 Points at the same time can be daunting.

-But Not Too Small: A game revolving around Shas'la Korst and his trusted-but-demented Kroot Sidekick is not much fun. Be sure to bring a tank, as well! ;-) around 750 points should be a good start.

-You Can, And You Will, Lose: It happens; especially when you're young and new to the Hobby. Better get used to it.

-There Is No Super Army: No army grants you an auto-win, and every army needs YOU to make the right decisions at the right time. Thats the whole point of 40K. Every army can beat every other army.
On your Crisis: Don't use Burst Cannons. A typical Tau army has already loads of S5AP5 shots; you need the other stuff the Crisis offer - Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods and Fusion Blasters.
If you want to field BCs, just add Stealths - they're more cost-efficient, AND have a Stealth Field!

As for your Bios... most of this stuff is not really Tau-like; also the sub-unit names are not Tau-like. The Cadre itself usually has a name, and it is possible to name units or groups of units, but this whole "106th Airborne" doesn't work. The Tau don't build their Cadres like that. A Cadre is a Cadre, it doesn't have components that are split off over time, they are trained together, fight together, die together (hopefully not before serving the Gereater Good).

Cheers,
-Bone
Are you supposed to name your units or is this just added fluff?

Good Trades With
TraceofToxin 1

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Lord Scythican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 14:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, but it is far cooler to say stuff like "Crisis Team Hammer shoots your Marine Squad Proteus with its TL-Missile Pods" than saying "Hey, those two Crisis here shoot at those Marine dudes over there."

Also, naming units gives them character, and can forge grudges over the time... my opponents FEAR my Crisis Team Hammer, and my Commander (nicknamed "Bonesaw") is a local celebrity - zou know, one of those guys who are famous for taking too much drugs and beating people up ;D).

Names also make retelling stories more fun: "So, Marine Commander Doremort fought his way through the Nob Mob with his Power weapon, only to face Waaghboss Teefgetta!" has just a certain ring to it.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote