Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to warhammer 40k, need some advice
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default New to warhammer 40k, need some advice

Okay so I'm just starting to get into warhammer 40k and I've come up with some basic ideas about what I want for my 1000 pt army, and would like some comments/suggestions on improvement but mostly on commander, I can't decide which to get. well here's what I have so far.

2x xv8 Crisis battlesuits
2x burst cannons
24x fire caste warriors
4x bonding knife
2x hammerhead gunships
2x railgun turrets
2x two burst cannon
2x xv88 broadside battlesuits
2x Devilfish APC

Point total: 926
Points Remaining: 74

so I need a 74 point or less commander...
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 13:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New to warhammer 40k, need some advice

Make one of your existing crisis suits the commander. 74 points for a commander will not get you a very effective unit. The commander, because he is so flexible, will often have to take up a role that nothing else in the army can do. Usually that role is killing heavy armor, but with two hammerheads and two broadsides in the army you might be OK. While it's not my favorite configuration, I would try a commander (BS 5, one way or the other) with plasma rifle, missile pod, and hardwired multitracker.

You could also ditch the bonding knives that you have everywhere and get a few points back. I find it fairly hard to keep a single model alive under 5th edition wound allocation rules. Also, I think the broadsides should be upgraded to have shield at least shield drones, and likely either multi-trackers and plasma rifles or advanced stabilization systems. If they can't move and fire at all, a clever opponent will be able to hide from them. Do your vehicles have any upgrades? They should all have disruptions pods, and probably multi-trackers as well. My vehicles usually have 20 points of upgrades beyond the standard equipment.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

what are the rules on having a battlesuit commander, can I still have that burstcannon http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/rymp1store.jpg something like that with a burstcannon instead what what I was thinking.

P.S. this is going to sound completly noobish, but how does damage work in W40K? I really am just starting out.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Okay I didn't make one of my battlesuits a commander i just added a commander shas'El with a burst cannon and a shield generator, removed the bonding knifes, gave sheild generators to my broadsides and switched out the hammerhead gunships for skyrays.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 15:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

First, try to avoid double posting, just edit your previous post.

Damage-wise well it's pretty clear in the 5th Ed rule book(you do have your book right?), but the basic is this

You shoot and depending on you BS the Taget number range from 2+ to 6+.

Once the number of 'hit' is found the opponent role his Armour save (if i is allowed) to see how many casualty you have.

Then you remove models.

In the case of multi-wound models it's slightly different, though.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 16:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I don't have the book yet i'm getting it soon though. ... so there is no HP just casualties and wounded? thats kinda cool.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

So before worrying about the list, I would strongly recommand you get the book forst and read it (I'm assuming you have your Tau Empire codex), becasue once you have read all the rules you might change a few things in your list.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 19:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, on your suits, you NEED to fill all 3 hard points. Even if you just give them a flamer or something small.

On your list, for 1000 pts that looks pretty strong, but a bit over done on the heavy weapons. I know you probably don't have the models, but look in to getting a few more suits, or some pathfinders. The Heavy you have is about the amount you need for a 1500 pt game. In 1000, I'd call the 'Sides and 1 HH good enough. Though we also don't know what you'll be playing against.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 23:47   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

neither do I but I'm basing the army on an old gundam forum RP I did a while back with characters translated to tau. Zeon of course, I should have a broadside and some troops painted by thanksgiving, I'll put some pics up.
Old 02 Dec 2008, 01:48   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard

You shoot and depending or you BS the Target number range from 2+ to 6+.
Once the number of 'hit' is found the opponent role his Armour save (if i is allowed) to see how many casualty you have.
Then you remove models.
In the case of multi-wound models it's slightly different, though.
The way that Boneguard has worded this is confusing and incorrect. First you must roll a number of dice equal to the number of shots that your unit can get (in the case of fire warriors this is either going to be 1 or 2 shots per model). The outcome of this roll determines how many of those shots actually hits the target unit and is based on the skill of the unit firing (Fire warriors will hit their targets only 50% of the time normally - This isn't good and you'll want to change it, which I'll talk about later). Then, you must roll the number of hits to determine how many of the shots that hit will wound their target. This is based entirely on the strength of the weapon versus the resiliency of the target (Again in the case of fire warriors; this is their strong point). Then the opponent makes armor or cover saves based on the number of shots that wounded their unit.

As you can see, there are a significant number of steps that will phase out a majority of the damage that you could inflict on an enemy unit when shooting.

A few issues jump right off the page when I look at your army list. The first and most easily corrected is the number of separate fire warrior teams that you are trying to take, which is 4. This is a bad idea because they will be forced to take a moral check every time they lose 25% of their models in one phase. This means that for a 6 man squad, when 2 warriors die, you will be taking leadership checks and risk them running away. This effect will get more severe when you lose only 3 models because you will be forced to take moral checks every turn for the rest of the game for being at 50% unit strength. How do you fix this? You should combine the warriors into either 2 big squads or 3 squads. This offers a number of benefits (especially the 2 squad configuration). You only take up 2 force organization slots, you spend 10 points on bonding knives instead of 20, and it is harder for the enemy to force you to take annoying leadership checks all the time.

The second problem that I see in your list is that you have neglected to consider marker lights. These, in any form, are a must for Tau players. In case you don't know, they allow you to; fire a seeker missile, decrease the cover save of your opponent's unit, increase the chance of pinning for an opponent's unit, increase the accuracy of one of your units (very valuable), or help in night fighting. These effects can also stack. This means that at the very least, one marker light could cause 66% of your fire warrior's shots to hit their target compared to the normal 50%. Stack on another marker light and that can go up to 83%. You can get marker lights through taking pathfinders, adding marker drones to some of your units, or taking 1 marker light per squad leader as an upgrade. The most efficient of these are the first two options.

I also agree with Togashi Johnathan on the number of heavies that you have taken. Broadsides are extremely effective vehicle killers, and as a result you should be taking hammer heads for their ability to double as infantry killers with their submunitions blast. I don't think that you need two hammerheads at all. I would take one, but you would probably fair much better investing those extra points in more crisis suits, 12 more fire warriors, marker lights, or kroot. Crisis suits are one of the things that the Tau have going for them. Also, don't underestimate the value of more warriors or kroot as a significant number of the games that you play will probably be objective games. Both of these troop options are good for capturing and holding objectives. Kroot are efficient due to the fact that they are so cheap. When taken in large quantities, they can tie up objectives pretty well.

Well there are my thoughts. I hope I was helpful. Read the rule book and codex and consider your options. I find that it is helpful for me to visualize how I will be using each unit in against specific enemies. Also consider that you will probably want a different selection based on which enemy you are fighting.

Please reply and let me know if this helps you
KrakenBlue is offline   Reply With Quote