Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marker Light and Seeker Missile
Old 18 Nov 2008, 06:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Marker Light and Seeker Missile

When I fire a Seeker Missile guided by a Marker Light, for the purpose of determining which side (front, side, rear) of a tank got hit I use the (by German Codex) position of the shooter.
In a game with my friend the question "the shooter of the missile or the shooter of the marker light?" rose.
In a few tacticas about Piranhas here on TO I read about using them to rush forward to hit the side of a tank with one of their Seekers, so we played it that way in our match.
Non theless we sent a Mail to the rule guy at GW, he replied:

Quote:
Hallo *****,

die Lenkrakete trifft hier auf die Seite des Fahrzeuges auf die der Schütze mit dem Zielmarker zielt. So kann die Rakete auch die Heckpanzerung eines Fahrzeuges treffen obwohl dein Fahrzeug nur die Frontfläche des Panzers sieht.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Branko
translated:
Quote:
Hallo *****,

the Seeker Missile hits the side of the vehicle, where the shooter of the marker light is. That way a Seeker Missile can hit rear armor of a vehicle even though your vehicle only sees the front armor of the tank.

Greetings
Branko
(sorry for poor almost word by word translation)

My question to you is:
Is there anything in the English Codex which says that the side which is hit by the seeker missile is determined from the position of the vehicle and not the marker light?
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 06:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Marker Light and Seeker Missile

It's specifically from the vehicle. You trace from where the Seeker comes from to the target. Dunno what the hell German GW guy is smoking.
Old 18 Nov 2008, 06:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Is it allowed to quote small parts from the Codex here at TO?
If so, could someone please give me the exact phrase from the English Codex which specifies the direction?
Old 18 Nov 2008, 06:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The vehicle facing you hit is determined by where the seeker missile is launched from. The codex says something like "the missiles are assumed to travel in a straight line for purposes of determining which armor facing they hit." It's from the direction of the vehicle that carried the missile, not the unit that fired the markerlight.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have the german Dex as well (though not with me atm), and I think it is clear from the wording of either the Seeker entry or the markerlight entry that the Seeker is fired from the vehicle, and therefore hits the side of the enemy vehicle that faces your vehicle. Just look through the Dex again, it should be right there.

Asking a question to GW support often doesn't yield the right results; the lads answering your questions are most of the time normal gamers just like you and me, and it is possible that they have no clue about a particular army.

Und es tut gut, jemanden hier zu haben, der auch Deutsch spricht... Oesterreicher, Deutscher oder Schweizer?

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 09:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Same in the french codex... it's from the missile carrier direction that the hit is determined

"Losses are acceptables, Failure is not" (R.Guilliman)
sarddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:02   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

OK, I wrote another mail in which i told him that it was different in the English and French Codex.
He replied:
Quote:
Hallo David,

wir haben die Frage an das Studio weitergeleitet da wir häufig uns nur auf den deutschen Codex berufen. In der Tat hat sich hier die Definition des Schützen bei uns als Fehler herausgestellt da man hiermit doch den Panzer meinte der die Rakete trägt anstelle des Schützen mit dem Zielmarker.
Daher muss ich meine Antwort von Gestern korrigieren und hier doch dem Recht geben wie es im englischen Codex beschrieben wurde.

Man misst vom Fahrzeug der Lenkrakete ab um die Panzerseite die man trifft zu ermitteln.
Es wird hierzu ein Errata folgen, um das Missverständnis zu korrigieren.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Branko
Short translation:

Quote:
You are right, the position of the missile carrying vehicle is used to determine the side of the vehicle which is hit.

This will be added to the FAQ.

Greetings
Thank you all for helping me out with this
And do you think that this will really be added to the official German FAQ?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 12:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That said, it would be logical, that the missile hit the "enlighted" part of the target... well in normal life, I think it is so...

But the rules are the rules.

Old 19 Nov 2008, 23:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

surprisingly - the worst place to get GW rules question answered is GW itself. Rule books are fine, FAQ and erratas are fine, but ask 20 GW employee how many marines can fit in a rhino, and you'll get 20 different answers (including "Marines have rhinos?")
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2008, 06:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
surprisingly - the worst place to get GW rules question answered is GW itself. Rule books are fine, FAQ and erratas are fine, but ask 20 GW employee how many marines can fit in a rhino, and you'll get 20 different answers (including "Marines have rhinos?")
At least, they know what is a Marine... some Mc Donalds employees don't know about Big Mac ??? (thinking about the brother of Ron) ^-^