Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Test Thread
Old 17 Nov 2008, 13:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Test Thread

Ok, I'm suggesting that we post our test results in this thread to help help us keep track of what tests are being done and what the results were. This will cut don't on having to read through about 9 bazillion posts for Ender and I to get the data we need Anyone who wishes to test is more them welcome. The more the merrier. Just please don't post fraudulently to help you back up an argument. Actually test something out and report it here. Thanks!

I will be using this format for my posts.

Idea(s) tested -
Armed played vs. -
Point level played -
Mission -
Deployment -

Shooting Units

Idea Tested -
Name of unit -
Number of shots fired - over a whole game
Accuracy -
Wounds -
Kills -
Transported? -
Times used Marker Light support, and number used -

Non Shooting Unit

Name -
Options tested -
Observations -

Vehicles

Name -
Option Tested -
Damage taken?/Survivability -
Damage done -
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Tau Test Thread

What good would a thread like this be? Especially considering the fact that things like "accuracy" in-game depends solely on your luck, and therefore is no reliable method to design an army around. Just go with the mathematical approach (BS 3 = 50% accuracy).

Play-testing is generally only of use to find out how units react with each other in a way that you CAN'T predict with probability - i.e. how they interact with terrain, how their movement affects their performance, and so on.
You can't really use numbers to show this, since this is not a strictly speaking scientific approach. it has more to do with gut-feeling and the decision how strong a particular unit is in the hands of a shrew tactician and how strong it is in the hands of a newbie.

Besides, playtesting and development of new Tau rules should, if possible, not be done by Tau fans - being a fan of something tends to cloud your judgement.

But that's just my two cents...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 14:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Test Thread

Thats cool, you don't have to help us test. But I've also noticed that every single one of my dice rolls didn't come out to mathematical average. Something about Chaos Theory and chance. Math is fine if you want to play that game, but tactics and skill (and the dice gods) play into this, even more then statistics. One game worth of testing will give you something on the order of about 50 pages of statistics. You can't figure out every singe little option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Especially considering the fact that things like "accuracy" in-game depends solely on your luck, and therefore is no reliable method to design an army around. Just go with the mathematical approach (BS 3 = 50% accuracy).
This is exactly why we need a thread like this. Plus it save me and a few others from having to email Ender all of our results. Puts them in a nice easy format for us to read.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote