Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot unit configuration...How many of which?
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kroot unit configuration...How many of which?

Hey all,

Although I planned on building a Kroot free army I've recently changed my mind and want to add a unit or two.

I need help with a good Kroot unit configuration or two. How many Warriors, Shapers and Hounds(and if Shapers and Hounds are even worthwhile) in a worthy Kroot unit?

Thanks in advance!
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi
Default Re: Kroot unit configuration...How many of which?

With the addition of 5th Ed. Kroot have become even better so it's good to see you taking them on. Generally speaking I'd say Shapers aren't worth taking. Their approx. three warriors rolled into one model but on the charge they still only get +1 to their attack. For the same cost you could get 3 warriors that would have 6 attacks in CC compared to the shapers one and a total of +3 attacks on the charge.

Kroot hounds on the other hand are a must have. Being I:5, if when the unit enters CC (assuming you took some casualties on the way in) you want at least half your unit to be hounds. Hounds really help Kroot get the alpha strike in CC which helps because due to having no save... if they don't win in the first round, their likely to die or run.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 05:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would disagree about the shaper. After all, he does bump the leadership up a bit. Also, it is fun to give him a carbine on the off chance you can pin the enemy.
Another thing to mention is the hounds. Take as many as you can in the unit (10). They are superb in CC.
Lastly, the Krootox. I only recommend it i you plan on having on having your kroot stay by your lines. Essentially, the Kroot gun is a longer ranged missile pod that needs to stay still, and only fires twice when within 12". Also, it is fun to use them in assault as they have a high strength and good number of attacks. They got a real bonus in 5th as now they always strike the back of a vehicle (usually 10).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 07:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Kroot are definitely worth it; I love the kroot! They're awfully fragile, but cheap enough that that's not a big problem. Compared to most units in the game they are only average assaulters, but the rest of the tau list is so bad in assault, that kroot fill a very necessary role in soaking up the assault.

Specific models:
Carnivores: Well, you need to have these, and they're a very good base to build a squad around. You need at least 15 or so total models in the squad, as a minimum strength squad is too easy to scare off the field.

Hounds: hounds are great. They are a point cheaper than the carnivores and have better initiative than space marines. Other than that they assault like carnivores but can't shoot. If I had the models, most of my kroot squads would have a full complement of hounds. I generally run about 1/3 to 1/4 of the total models of hounds, but a static firebase squad wouldn't need any.

Shaper: Useful for the leadership bonus, but too expensive in most cases. He shoots like 1 carnivore, assaults like 2, takes wounds like 3, but costs 4. In a very large squad I will sneak one in, but usually not worth it.

Krootox: I never use them. The missile pod is better and more maneuverable than the kroot gun, they are expensive, and adding one costs you infiltrate and outflank. Some people like their high-strength in assault, but I don't think it's worth it.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for all the great info!
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 19:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hello,
Don't you think, that an "all kroot" army will terribly missing AT weapons?
What can you do for that?

"Losses are acceptables, Failure is not" (R.Guilliman)
sarddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 19:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

As stated above, the Krootox is good for Capture and Control. Just plant the kroot unit on your objective, that should be in some forest terrain, and shoot as much as you can. Anytime the enemy would do a considerable amount of wounds to you, go to ground and have let your warriors roll their 2+ cover save. That's a spicy meatball of an objective to get.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 01:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@sarddok: Anti-tank is a weakness of the (no longer tournament-legal) kroot mercs army from white dwarf. Other than Krootoxen with their strength 7 guns, the best you can do is give most of the shapers Melta-guns. I know all the squads have a shaper in them, but I don't remember if all of them can take meltas or just the command squad.

@aux priest: Sitting kroot on an objective and having them go to ground is a good tactic in Capture and Control, but why does it require the Krootox for it to work? Can't you do it just as well with carnivores and hounds?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 03:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

It can, I just wanted to use the krootox in some form as to answer the above question. You don't really have to go to ground until they start putting in a lot of firepower, and up until then, you can always let the krootox take T5 and less shots to soak up. Also, its range and strength can be used for light vehicles or such.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote