Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Getting charged in 5th ed.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 02:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Getting charged in 5th ed.

I'm reading in the rules (5th ed.) about the defender's reaction to getting charged. Do defenders leave their cover to countercharge whether they want to or not? If so at what distance is this triggered? I know that if the attacker forgoes shooting to run , he can't charge that turn but I'm afraid things get a bit fuzzy for me after that.
I'm wanting to play a game this coming weekend with 5th ed. rules and I'd like to get5 this cleared up. I'll be playing Tau against a 1700pt. Ork army that I built for a friend and I know that this topic will indeed pop up. ???
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Getting charged in 5th ed.

you are forced to move out of cover, and i think its 3" but i could be wrong there, also try to make him go through cover to get to you, then he auto goes at initiative 1 (not much of a boon but its something)

another question, if he charges through cover will he have to roll difficult terrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, it says so in the rulebook. Can't remember the page, but it's either in difficult terrain or assaults.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Yes, they have to roll for it. If they fail, they don't even move. Pretty much leaves a nice surprise of barrage fire when they fail and go oh crap. And as for the reaction, its 6". Also, its a reaction, so attacker moves into position, then the defenders react accordingly.

Damn Ninja'd!
Old 16 Nov 2008, 03:30   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So on the reaction, do defenders get asault benefits on their reaction when they come ...CHarging out of their nice comfy cover?
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They get the +1 attack for charging.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

This is my interpritation of the rules... A=Assullter D=Defenders ORIGINALITY IN MOTION GOING ON HERE!!!

The Assulters move their FULL 6 inches or full D6 in the case of assulting through Difficult Terrain into combat
<----6---->
A D
A A D
A AD D
AD D D
A D

As you can see from this a couple of D's are not in combat so they HAVE to move up to 6 inches to get into combat

D
AD
A AD
A AD
ADD
AD
D

This happens even if they were in Cover/Difficult Terrain. Also they did not charge, so they don't get the bonuses. They were reacting to the charge.

But like i said this only happens if the Assulters have moved there full 6 inches and only you men that are not in combat have to react.

Hope this hopes

P.S. Orginality In Motion would make a great song title!! DIBS!!

[i]edit- for clarifcation added or full D6 in the case of assulting through Difficult Terrain
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

but what if the attackers had to go through difficult terrain Merqu? would they need to roll a test for that?

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

well then they have to move there full D6 then :P
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 04:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok ;D so put your fire warriors 6" from the start of cover and they will be fine >

Quote:
Quote: