Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wondering if anyone's tried this...
Old 15 Nov 2008, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Wondering if anyone's tried this...

Has anyone ever fielded an XV8 with a fusion blaster and a missile pod? just thinking about an armor-busting suit... :P.
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 21:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Wondering if anyone's tried this...

Yes...in a fashion.

My HQ has plasma, fusion and missile pod. the Fusion missile pod combo is the least used, but it is indeed useful for tank busting or dealing with dreadnaught.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 22:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I do it all the time, my commander carries a missile pod, fusion blaster & a multi-tracker and 2 shield drones. I usually send him after dreadnoughts (I play against a lot of space marines)

Better make your guy a team leader so he can have a hardwired drone controller & some shield drones or he won't last very long.

You may also want to twin-link the fusion blaster (to guarantee a hit) and hard hard wire the multi-tracker as well.

Third Sphere
Old 16 Nov 2008, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yes, my Shas'el and coming Shas'vre both have Fusions and Missile Pods. This is mostly due to my need for flexibility, and because it was a cool conversion look.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 13:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've never thought of using it. Interesting though.

When I think about it, I'm reminded of the argument against the Plasma + MP (Fireknife); that you're not using the ranges effectively enough (what with Plasma being close, MP being far.) I think it would be very much the case with a FB + MP.

Just some thoughts.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 13:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikabane Hime

When I think about it, I'm reminded of the argument against the Plasma + MP (Fireknife); that you're not using the ranges effectively enough (what with Plasma being close, MP being far.) I think it would be very much the case with a FB + MP.
A fair point, it's a trade off though, as you close with the enemy you can get a couple of missile pod shots off and when you are shooting a vehicle both weapons have a reasonable chance of penetrating rather than just one of them.

Thats my take on anyway...

Third Sphere
Old 16 Nov 2008, 14:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

It's one of those configurations that I was always thinking about but never did. I imagine it would be great for flexibility in vehicle hunting. But it does strike me as unbalanced. you have 1 weapon with a 12" range (6" to be most effective) and you have another weapon with a 36" range. I wouldn't even bother putting a multi-tracdker on that configuration honestly. The weapons are intended for very different targets at very different ranges.

I find it more usefull to configure my crisis suits for specific weapons that only they can carry. I have plasma on almost all of my crisis suits. Whether it's twin-linked plasma, plasma/missile pod or plasma/fusion I take my suits for the plasma rifles really. I do have 2 units of 3 suits with twin-linked missile pods though. I just find them to be much more usefull when you focus your crisis configuration for a specific goal.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 14:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Truthfully, I never leave home with out this configuration. I run it on my 'O all the time as I use him for tank hunting. Slap a Shield generator, Iridium armour, Stimulant injectors, Hard-wired Multi-tracker and two Shield Drones and you have something to be feared. I run him to Deep Strike (And with 5th Ed allowing all of the base missions to deep strike... ), and he works really well.

I can understand the misuse of range, but it's the Strength of the weapon that I take it for. The Plasma rifle just isn't strong enough to be paired with the Fusion blaster for tank hunting as the best you can do is glance a 12. Yes, the Missile pod doesn't do much better at having only one better strength, but that difference means that you can now glance a 13, and have good chances of hurting anything less. The fact that it always has multiple shots at a greater range just ups it's ability to crack those vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 16:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Alternatively, you could take twin-linked FB and get the str + the re-rolls.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2008, 20:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Much better to just twin link the fusion cannons. Maybe give the team leader a HW-multi tracker so he can use both. In the end, while they are both used for tank hunting, the fusion cannon is for Armor 12-14 while the missile pod is for 10-12.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote