Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Monats & Drones
Old 14 Nov 2008, 21:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau Monats & Drones

I know there was a rule about the overall toughness of a unit... if I have a single crisis suit, be it commander or elite, and he has two gun drones does that drop his toughness for being shot?
Madadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 21:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Tau Montats & Drones

You bet it does. Majority of the unit takes over, so if it has T3 and T4, whichever is more in number will be the value shot at.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 22:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Wow, that is stunningly lame. If they are one and one, IE one suit, one gun drones, what happens?
Madadh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2008, 22:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

if you have an equal number of diffenert unit, you take the best of the lot for toughness and initiative IIRC.

So a 12 kroot, 12 kroothounds unit is a lot more fun now in CC.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 00:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
if you have an equal number of diffenert unit, you take the best of the lot for toughness and initiative IIRC.

That wouldn't make much difference, since you always use the highest initiative when rolling for sweeping advances anyway. (It's on page 40 of the Big Rule Book) So, if you wanted to, you could put just 1 hound in the kroot squad and use that to make sweeping advances at initiative 5.

May I then Suggest: Shield Drones! They have the Same Toughness and Armor save as it's owner, so suddenly you have a tougher unit! (also, it has it's invulnerable save) The TOughness value of the Squad won't drop, The Drone itself has a better Armor save (It'd be 3+ in a Crisis Team) and it has it's invulnerable save. Put some Shield Drones on Broadsides and you suddenly have a Drone with a 2+ armor save.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2008, 01:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also attacks are made at individual initiative - not as a group, and as the Kroot/Hound statline is exactly the same apart from initiative Toughness does not come into it.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 11:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
Quote:

That wouldn't make much difference, since you always use the highest initiative when rolling for sweeping advances anyway. (It's on page 40 of the Big Rule Book) So, if you wanted to, you could put just 1 hound in the kroot squad and use that to make sweeping advances at initiative 5.
I had to dig my rule book out of the car, but with it sitting right here, I can say that's not right. "In a unit with mixed Initiative characteristics, count the majority value, or the highest if there is no majority." You only get to use the hounds' Initiative if there are at least as many hounds as other units.

Quote:
May I then Suggest: Shield Drones! They have the Same Toughness and Armor save as it's owner, so suddenly you have a tougher unit! (also, it has it's invulnerable save) The TOughness value of the Squad won't drop, The Drone itself has a better Armor save (It'd be 3+ in a Crisis Team) and it has it's invulnerable save. Put some Shield Drones on Broadsides and you suddenly have a Drone with a 2+ armor save.
Shield drones are practically mandatory on broadside squads. If the squad is in cover and has at least 2 suits, you can almost get away with using gun drones instead. They wouldn't reduce the toughness and you'd still have the cover save, but for broadsides it's worth the whopping 10 points to have shield drones. Stealth suits mix very well with gun drones (no toughness reduction since the suits are already T3, and the weapons are similar), and I usually run a pair of gun drones on my crisis teams. The potential pinning fire is nice, and a Jetpack unit can have enough mobility to usually have a cover save from any lascannon fire.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 14:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Quote:
Quote:

I had to dig my rule book out of the car, but with it sitting right here, I can say that's not right. "In a unit with mixed Initiative characteristics, count the majority value, or the highest if there is no majority." You only get to use the hounds' Initiative if there are at least as many hounds as other units.
I knew there had been a change there in 5th ed.

So 12 kroot and 12 hounds as fun potential now.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 01:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Guess I was Wrong about that. I Guess I should Double Check these things more often.

So, 12 Kroot and 12 Hounds? 24 Models for about 150 points sounds like a deal. I may have to consider getting some.

I'll Second the Adding Gun Drones to Stealth Teams. A Couple Times I've ran a Very large Stealth Squad (6 Stealth suits, 2 Marker Drones and 10 Gun drones) And It's very effective. If you can fit Everyone into Range, then You've got 28 Pulse Rounds (10 of which are pinning) and 2 Networked Markerlights flying towards the enemy. It has a very large footprint though, at 18 models. It's great fun in larger games.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 04:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

Quote:
Guess I was Wrong about that. I Guess I should Double Check these things more often.

So, 12 Kroot and 12 Hounds? 24 Models for about 150 points sounds like a deal. I may have to consider getting some.

I'll Second the Adding Gun Drones to Stealth Teams. A Couple Times I've ran a Very large Stealth Squad (6 Stealth suits, 2 Marker Drones and 10 Gun drones) And It's very effective. If you can fit Everyone into Range, then You've got 28 Pulse Rounds (10 of which are pinning) and 2 Networked Markerlights flying towards the enemy. It has a very large footprint though, at 18 models. It's great fun in larger games.
Glad to see it because I'm starting to employ that myself (the massed gun drones and marker drone with the stealth suits).

Now then, concerning the drones, sometimes when I play I bring up the subject and explain a house rule that majority toughness is wound-based, not model-based. They've always agreed and use it for both sides (e.g. a Warboss with two runts/gretchin/etc.) and never argued against it.

But if someone really wanted to be a pain in the butt I'd follow but I largely take shield drones with suits anyway (though Stealthsuits are the exception).

Waitaminute, that thing about Iniative then... if a unit had more drones (which have I:4), wouldn't that mean that the drones, in the majority of battlesuits if taken in pairs, convey this to their Battlesuit owners?

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote