Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-drop pod
Old 10 Nov 2008, 23:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Anti-drop pod

I need a fool proof anti-drop pod tactic to use on my space marines buddy, something to stop his pod from landing behind me and breaking my broadside gun line that I need to kill his land raider. I am a little confused why drop pods can ignore one of the fundamentals of the game, that being the scattering and rolling on the miss-hap table. I probably could fill a page or two with all the things I HATE about SPACE MARINES, but that aside some help would be much appreciated.
stewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 00:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Anti-drop pod

Try Keeping Your units in Reserve, and giving your commander a Positional Relay. It allows you to Bring in any unit from reserve on a 2+, but that can be the only reserve brought in that turn. It would allow you to either bring in a very much needed support unit, or to delay the bulk of your forces until it is safer to deploy.

If He's using a Drop Pod Assault, then He'll have to deploy half (round up) of his pods on his first turn. (I'm pretty sure, should double check) So just Keep Your Broadsides in Reserve until the Threat has been dealt with.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen many people recommend it, and It could work very well, especially against a Drop pod Assault. You Can't shoot him First Turn, so why not make so that he cant shoot you until second or third Turn?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would figure just mass firewarriors no? I mean, two full squads of warriors rapidfiring into a squad of 10 marines could kill them all.

I mean, in a recent game I kill a 7 man squad of terminators with 3 damaged squads of firewarriors firing.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

mind you, space marine drop pods, also could mean flamers. Drop pods could mean dreadys at a really bad time.

A flamer to a full firewarrior squad is practicaly a death sentence, especialy if a heavy flamer.

And if you spread out your forces, your opponent will try to pick them off, concentrate youll be attacked in concentration. The best bet is to keep a good reserve unit on hand, and have infiltrators. Pick off any stragglers like whirlwinds with stealthsuits, sacrifice a unit, if it means you can get a plasma bomb crisis team in. Once all the deep striking is in, play to ear, and keep mobility.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 02:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm not sure if this would work...my SM friend doesn't have any drop pods ...anyway, how about spreading your guys out as much as possible? Deepstriking units can't come in within 1" of an enemy unit, so if your army was spread out enough, he'd have to deepstrike in front of you, which would have the same effect as infiltrating.

The down side, of course, is that you would need a ton of models to take up that much room.

:P

Again, I've never really tried this, so feel free to tell me how wrong I am .
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I feel for you, I got a buddy that does the same thing. He's got a dread with TL heavy flamer and a flamer it destroys units of infantry. What usually pops out of the pods? And is your army list?

If a dread pops out try a pair of shield drones to soak up the hits and make sure you destroy it before it can assault. If it's troops you can try to position your back against area terrain and put a spread out unit or two of fire warriors in front and try to keep them at least 6" or better yet 12" from your broadsides.

The only other idea I could come up with was a pair of crisis suits with TL fusion blasters as a backup for the broadsides or guards against dreads.
NytBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 04:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocleman
I'm not sure if this would work...my SM friend doesn't have any drop pods ...anyway, how about spreading your guys out as much as possible? Deepstriking units can't come in within 1" of an enemy unit, so if your army was spread out enough, he'd have to deepstrike in front of you, which would have the same effect as infiltrating.

The down side, of course, is that you would need a ton of models to take up that much room.

:P

Again, I've never really tried this, so feel free to tell me how wrong I am .
5 full squads of firewarriors in 1500 pts? Check! ;D
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 05:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

If you need to, its possible to use certain deployments to your advantage. The obvious one being table corners, as you're already in a condensed formation. Just be wary of what comes out. Also, a drop pod is pretty big, so it needs a few inches of space to land. Space your force well enough, and with the right cover and such, you'll be able to keep them in check. Best I can think of.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 05:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If you bring vehicles then be very very carefull. They can put a melta-gun in each space marine squad and drop down right next to you and hit you with melta-guns well inside of the 12" zone for your disruption pods.

I actually have a lot of problems dealing with drop pod marines. If done right they can fairly easily trap you inside of your deployment zone by landing all of their drop pods in such a way that it creates a wall of drop pods from which you cant get out. The ony thing that I haven't tried yet is leaving my entire army in reserve.

The biggest problems for me are that they can deepstrike without scattering using homing beacons and they are pretty much guaranteed a free round of close range shooting at anything that you've deployed. Also, if drop pods scatter onto a unit then the pod just moves over and the unit doesn't roll on the deepstrike mishap table. There's a lot of great things about drop pods.

The only real way to avoid this is to win the roll of, go second and then leave literally your entire army in reserve. I haven't tried this yet but I think it could do ok. The problem with this tactic is that it's unreliable. There's no guarantee that you'll get the units you need to come in when you need them. Similarly, your space marine opponent will have at least half their army on the table. Also, dont forget that if you leave your army in reserve then your guys dont actually start coming in until turn 2. So it would go something like this....

Turn 1)
Space Marines - Your opponent deepstrikes on the table
Tau - You do nothing because reserves dont come until turn 2

Turn 2)
Space Marines - More of your opponents reserves arrive and the guys he had on the table in the first place move into positions to fire any heavy weapons they may have brought.

Tau - Statistically half your stuff should arrive. (It arrives on a 4 + so it could be more or could be less)

The problem that this creates is that there's a good chance that when your stuff arrives you're going to be outnumbered. Not just outnumbered, but outnumbered by space marines. It could balance out toward the end of the game because you'll be bringing more units in but that's assuming that the units that were outnumbered to begin with dont get mauled by space marine fire power.

Dealing with drop pod Marines is problematic for Tau right now and there's not too much we've got to respond to it. Trust me, if you play against a half decent player who runs a drop pod assault army and drops down on you with tactical squads with flamers (against gunline) or Melta-guns (against Mech Tau) it's going to be a short and unfulfilling game.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 05:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild
If you need to, its possible to use certain deployments to your advantage. The obvious one being table corners, as you're already in a condensed formation. Just be wary of what comes out. Also, a drop pod is pretty big, so it needs a few inches of space to land. Space your force well enough, and with the right cover and such, you'll be able to keep them in check. Best I can think of.
Drop pods actually dont need to worry about landing on units. If they land on a unit then they just land right next to it. It's a huge buff for drop podding marines. Also, Table Quarters is the WORST type of deployment to play against drop pod marines. If you set up a tightly packed formation then your opponent will easily be able to land his drop pods and trap you in your table quarter. If you try to move out of it then the next set of drop pods will land next to the original ones without scatter and have an easy enough time killing anything that tries to break through. It's incredibly painfull.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote