Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Warfish and the SMS
Old 08 Nov 2008, 01:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Warfish and the SMS

First of all, I'd like to Try out a few Warfish. But the Point Cost Really Stings, and I'm wondering if It'll actually be effective with it's durability.

I'm not too confident about the Devilfish's Durability right now (at the beginning of the very last game I played, both of my Devilfish were immobilized on the first turn (Opponent went first)) And so I'm not really too keen on spending upwards of 100 points per transport. To Whoever plays with them Often, do you really think they are worth it? Does having that extra bit of Firepower Really Help? (Honestly, the Real Reason that I'm wanting to do this is so that The Gun drones mounted on it don't give away excessive amounts of Free Kill Points)

Also, Where does everyone get all the Bits for Smart Missile Systems? Right now, I've got 1 Hammerhead and 2 Devilfish. But the Devilfish don't come with Bitz to make a SMS. I've got three Crisis Suits, but those missile pods they've got are even more valued. (I magnetized them) So where does everyone get the Bitz to make all of these SMS? I Imagine If I had a lot of Crisis Suits, then I might be Willing to Spare a Few Missile Pods, and Gun Drones for the Mounts would be easy. But where does everyone get all of the pieces they need?
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 01:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Warfish and the SMS

I like the idea of the warfish, but I am curious what others have to say.

Here is an exclent site for bitz though: http://www.apocabitznow.com/

tell him summersi@bellsouth.net sent you
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have a Warfish for my Pathfinders. I built it from a Skyray box, thinking I could get a normal Devilfish later and have a Hammerhead/Skyray swappable.

It killed a load of 'Nids in a recent game, including a 'Fex. Paid for its points in no time, and survived a Carnifex attack unscathed. Well worth taking, in my opinion.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was on the site playing, I will be ordering some soon.

Here is a direct link to the Tau SMS bits: http://www.apocabitznow.com/store/p/...le-System.aspx

Hope this helps!
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Or, just glue some missile pods onto the bottom of the cylindrical gun drone piece.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I just Had an Idea.

The Broadside Battlesuit Kit Comes with Both a Crisis Suit Sprue and a Smart Missile System, right?

I'm a little short on Crisis Suits, so Do you think I could just get Broadsides and Build Crisis Suits, while Mounting the SMS on a DF. Would anyone know if that would work? (I'm hoping that the SMS in the Broadside Kit is plastic, and not attached to the arms or something.)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 03:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

It's metal and has its own set of arms. That set of SMS is pretty much dedicated to it.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 03:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

also it wouldnt be cost effective to do that, it would be better to use a bits retailer, or look on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 04:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

For the points cost, a Warfish is a good investment as long as it can be supported by your army. Having one or two being the only tanks in your army place a large target on them. But, used in conjunction with Hammerheads, the warfish have an opportunity to make a dent in your opponent before he can stop them. Also, in a price comparison between 7 fire warriors and a warfish (hopefully armed with sms, target array, disruption pod and multitracker), the point offset is worth it due to durability and enhanced BS, for the same number of shots. Also, the warfish can be used to transport your troops on to objectives and keep up a heavy amount of fire, until you wish to unload your scoring units, and add even more firepower. I've been toying around right now with two warfish Firewarrior squads, a couple Kroot squads, and two squads of carbine foot troops. It gives a wide range of board coverage for my troops while not putting all my eggs in one basket with just warfish'ed warriors.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 11:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxiliary priest
For the points cost, a Warfish is a good investment as long as it can be supported by your army. Having one or two being the only tanks in your army place a large target on them. But, used in conjunction with Hammerheads, the warfish have an opportunity to make a dent in your opponent before he can stop them. Also, in a price comparison between 7 fire warriors and a warfish (hopefully armed with sms, target array, disruption pod and multitracker), the point offset is worth it due to durability and enhanced BS, for the same number of shots. Also, the warfish can be used to transport your troops on to objectives and keep up a heavy amount of fire, until you wish to unload your scoring units, and add even more firepower. I've been toying around right now with two warfish Firewarrior squads, a couple Kroot squads, and two squads of carbine foot troops. It gives a wide range of board coverage for my troops while not putting all my eggs in one basket with just warfish'ed warriors.
A warfish retains the Burst cannon on the front too, right? That's alot of support firepower . I defently need to get a few of those. haha.