Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Smart Missile System
Closed Thread
Old 07 Nov 2008, 22:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Smart Missile System

when you fire the smart missile system from where do you measure to see if you are in range? The rulebook says that you measure ranges with all weapons that are firing.

When you add smart missile systems the profile is heavy 4 24" range. On the model they replace the gun drones. So when you measure to see if you are in range there are times where both the right and left guns won't both be within 24" range of the target as would be required by rulebook rules.

So does this mean that

A) You ignore the rulebook and fire the smart missile system if at least one of the guns is within range.

B) You fire 2 shots instead if only one of the guns is withing 24" of the target.

C) You do not fire at all as the smart missile system is composed by both of the guns and they must both be in range of the target to fire as per rulebook rules.
Old 07 Nov 2008, 23:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Smart Missile System

I'd say its if at least one of the guns is in range you get all of the shots.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 00:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
I'd say its if at least one of the guns is in range you get all of the shots.
I agree. That is a good question though that GW needs to clarify on.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 00:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you look at the Model itself, then you will see that there are 6 barrels on each side. So, even just one of them would be able to take four shots by itself.

So, if Either Pod is in range then you get to shoot. It makes the most sense that way.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

Yeah it makes sense...but doesn't follow the rulebook as far as I interpret it. And that's what i'm wondering about how that works out. In the case of burst cannons the burst cannons are 2 separate guns so they would each need to measure but the smart missile system is supposed to be one gun but it's located on 2 different sides of the model which is the problem.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Well what i'd do is either take it from one of pods or take it from a spot inbetween the two.... so the Target Array i believe... or the base of the Burst Cannon... Thats how i'd do it...
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiyou
Yeah it makes sense...but doesn't follow the rulebook as far as I interpret it. And that's what i'm wondering about how that works out. In the case of burst cannons the burst cannons are 2 separate guns so they would each need to measure but the smart missile system is supposed to be one gun but it's located on 2 different sides of the model which is the problem.
I take it someone shot your nids up with one with a single side out of range...?
Old 08 Nov 2008, 03:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah the situation came up against my friend, now that he switched his devilfishes to carry smart missile systems instead of gun drones.

And well the rulebook is pretty clear that the gun shooting has to be in range. So I was wondering how the heck that works for a weapon that fires from 2 points on the tank. We settled in that if only one is in range that its shots will be cut in half. And go with this until we can get a clear answer on how it actually works whilst following the rulebook.

So far though everyone has posted their own personal opinion that doesn't necessarily follow the rulebook. So i'm really interested in anyone who can point out something that I may have missed in the rules that clarifies how smart missile systems work in accordance to 5th edition rules.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 03:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Well like i said logic would make it seem that there is 6 missiles a pod therefor you can measure from whichever one you want ... Or if they are a system that needs to fire from both then it would again also be logical to measure from a central point between them both... Target Array/Burst Cannon mounting... The third one would be that the missiles range has a slight leway for that extra... 2/3 inches odd inches

Of course we all know GW and logic sometimes do not see eye to eye ;D

To counter your half shots if only one is in range... it says you get 4 shots... and it doesn't say it's halfed if only one weapon is in range... Going off of your logic how would the SoBs Exorsit work... If only one of the missile tubes things is in range does that mean it only has D6 halfed (rounding up)... Admitadly the distance between the 2 is smaller but you get the idea...
Old 08 Nov 2008, 03:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

The whole discussion is moot when a single thing is pointed out.
The SMS is one weapons system.

You measure from either part of the system, and conduct the rest of the shooting as normal. Easy enough.

Otherwise, you'd be saying TL weapons don't get TL'ing if one part of the weapon is out of range. Not at all RAW or RAI.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Closed Thread