Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My army so far...What am I missing?
Old 06 Nov 2008, 20:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default My army so far...What am I missing?

Hey all,
Brand new tabletop gamer building my first army. I've played a few games with some experienced friends and used their Blood Angel Space Marines. I really love the look and tactics of the Tau so I'm going all in to build an army. So far I have the following in my possession or on the way:

36 Fire Warriors
2 Devilfish APCs
3 XV8 Crisis Suits
6 XV25 Stealth Suits
7(soon to be 10 I think) Pathfinders
12 Gun Drones

Some of the stuff I picked up used super cheap so I didn't do a lot of careful choosing. The price was right so I bought them.

I am considering a Hammerhead for my Heavy Support and Crisis Suit Commander for an HQ.

I would like to convert some of the gun drones to add some variety and versatility to my drones but I'm not really sure what options are available and how much I can do and stay within the rules. Any help on drone specialization would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not really shooting for any particular points total as the folks I play with are well equipped to match any army I bring big or small and have a fair and fun fight but 1750 is my goal.

I'm sure you can see the glaring omission of Kroot and Vespid. I'm just not sure I want to deal with them and think I may try to make it work without them. Is that a huge mistake or can I manage well without them?

Finally, can anyone tell me what I may need more or less of to make an effective army based on what I have on hand so far?

Thanks in advance for your patience and wisdom!
Mr. Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default Re: My army so far...What am I missing?

Sounds like the recent incredible buy I made recently too. As for stuff you'll probably want, especially for 1750, we'll go down the charts.

HQ:
If you're good with converting even a little bit, you could simply take one of the XV8s you have, give him some snazzy gubbinz, and make him your compulsory Crisis Commander. Could save you some money for now. Buying an ethereal isn't too bad either, since that allows for some interesting tactics to be tried out later, and relatively cheap as far as metal characters go.

Troops:
36 Firewarriors is a very solid way to start, and with Devilfish APCs you can't go wrong. Kroot aren't a necessity right away, they require a bit of practice to get right, and you'll probably want practice with the rest of the army first so you know how to back up the kroot. Otherwise, solid.

Elites:
More XV8s always helps, so very versatile on the field and a very frightening thing to be facing. Practice with them, see how well they fit your style and buy more as it becomes necessary. If possible, magnetize them or pin the weapons for easy swapping, you probably won't want to rip them off every time an awesome idea comes to mind. As for the stealth suits, they're fun, die to a stiff breeze sometimes (mine always get seen by good rolls and seem to run from a single LD check...) Definitely worth experimenting with, probably won't need more unless you really like them.

Fast Attack:
Pathfinders fit here oddly, but they're a good choice with the overall BS3 of the army and the amount of cover out and about. You'll probably be good with one squad for now, might be safe to get a few more to sit at 16 as you will be able to tinker with a variety of squad sizes and numbers of them. Gun Drones are fun sometimes, and you'll get more in practically every boxset you get, so don't fret much about having enough. Vespid however as many people agree, aren't worth it much right now. They die pretty easily to what they hunt with their short range. I'd proxy them first before considering buying.

Heavy Support:
I would definitely recommend a hammerhead or two, however, a bit of fun advice. Do Not Buy The Hammerhead Boxset. Buy the Skyray kit instead. The reason being they are the same price, and comes with all the hammerhead weapons AND the skyray parts. Doing this you can easily play with either the Hammerhead or the Skyray, definitely worth it.
A broadside or two would also be a safe bet. Again if you want to save money you could buy crisis suits and convert them into broadsides, which requires more effort, but just something to note.
And lastly, Sniper Drones. Worth experimenting with, I haven't used them much so my opinion is lackluster for details. Worth picking up if you find that you lean towards the static gunline approach.

Certainly hope this all helps, taken from an experienced cheapskate. 8)
Old 06 Nov 2008, 21:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

and if you screw up the skyray missiles you can still use the railgun, if you mess up the railgun you still have a devilfish!
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2008, 21:57   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So if I buy Sky Rays the kit includes the missles AND the huge rail gun as seen on the Hammerhead? Just want to be sure before I commit to purchasing 2 Sky Rays.
Old 07 Nov 2008, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious
So if I buy Sky Rays the kit includes the missles AND the huge rail gun as seen on the Hammerhead? Just want to be sure before I commit to purchasing 2 Sky Rays.
yes it dose, it also has the (little used) ion cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 02:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious
Yes, it does indeed. It has that, all the secondary weapons options except the drones, a tank commander (perfect for converting, if you use the ejection system), and the upgrades sprue. For the same price, it's a much better deal.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 07:23   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

hmm you're pretty well off so far, and yes rail gun hammer heads are always good. especially with the disruption pod war gear (4+ cover save if the enemy is over 12 inches away) smart missile systems are a god thing to run too honestly.

now some people don't like them, but i find human auxiliary to be extremely useful. basically buy a box of catchan imperial guardsmen and glue on extra tau fire warrior arm shields and backpacks for conversion. they arent in the codex yet, but google them, the rules aren't hard to find. i use a squad of them for speed-bumps, and in the 10 games I've played them (against Space marines, Imperial guard, orks, and once 'nids) they've never been taken below half strength (good rolls). and in their rules you can field heavy support IG weaponry (i believe) so a static.. or not so static tau army can benefit from mortars. which is really nice. If nothing else you don't see them often and when painted nicely they turn heads.

those 12 gun drones....
heh...
annoying disks of death are nice if you have the marker lights to support them. base they only hit on a 5 or 6 (twin linked though).. though i personally believe twin linked to be utterly stupid how its currently set up.
sorry, back on topic.
convert them into marker drones. marker lights can boost your Ballistics Skill, lower their cover save, be used to guide seeker missiles...
Maybe keep 4 around for a speed-bump squad but marker lights are better.

XV8- Crisis suits.
absolutely wonderful and useful. run them as your command for now.

XV25 Stealth Suits- If their setup for fusion blasters (1 per 3 models) use them to try as tank hunters. even in day fighting the enemy is subject to night fighting rules to see them. they do seem to die fast for some reason though so be careful with them. their fun, but defiantly not the end all unit.

Pathfinders- pathfinders are an interesting choice, though the devil fish they have to have is a little on the pricey side. and it can't infiltrate with them.
Eycline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 08:57   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would not go and buy two sky rays if i were you. You allready have 2 devilfish, so unless you want your whole army to fly i would buy one or two broadsides and one sky ray/hammerhead instead. One broadside is way cheaper than a railhead and tend to live longer and do more (at least for me). For larger games it is allways good to have those broadsides, while you maneuver your hammerhead into position. Most games i play against tau, their hammerhead seems to stay at the same spot for the entire game, so why not have a TL railgun instead of a normal?

- Ghizza, Warboss of Dem Easta Fringe Purpa Krumpaz
mindscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 14:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Wow, tons of great info so far.

I am a bit heavier on drones than I anticipated but because of how I bought my models(on sprues broken down from box sets I assume) I needed 4 just to complete my 2 Devilfish. That leaves me 8 to play with and convert to other specialties than toting guns.

Broadsides are definitely on my list of must haves. I'm thinking of 2 Broadsides, 1 Crisis suit commander and maybe picking up a Skysweep Missle Defence box set.

Here's another question, though...If I purchase the Missle Defence box set with 2 Skyrays and a Devilfish will that set also include all of the hammerhead parts or just the skyray missles?

Thanks again!

BYW: Played a 500pt game last night with my 36 fire warriors and 1 ethereal I found used at the game store yesterday and got absolutely mauled by 13 blood angels in assualt. I'm new but it seemed obvious to me that without the ability to shoot and move, shoot and move the Tau cannot pick off enough marines to survive for long. The blood angels have ridiculous speed due to their jump packs so I could never stay ahead of them and they closed the distance far too fast for me to do anything but chuck photon grenades when assaulted and hope for the best. My friend doing the mauling tried to tell me how I could have done better with deployment and movement but I don't think I'd have stood a chance without a devilfish even if it cost me 12 fire warriors.
Old 08 Nov 2008, 14:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i havnt played blood angels yet, but a lot of your CC problems will be gone when you get some suits in your list, the versatility of the suits lets you build them to take on anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote