Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

cadre fluff
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default cadre fluff

i am working on the fluff for my cadre, and i was wondering would the tau have a commander from one world leading an army kitbashed from 2 other worlds? (sort of like how gaurdsmen units below strength will join togeater)
and also can anyone find anything to support this either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: cadre fluff

It really depends on the place and situation ,although when tau attack they almost always for a large battlegroup from a bunch of worlds that is
leaded by a powerful figure such as shadowsun.

hope this helps
The thing grunts like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

As Thingy said a battleforce is usually composed of different Cadre/Sept so on a temporary basis it's possible.

For a permanent situation I don't know, I guess it would be unlikely since the Cadre (the army basic unit) is based on the Sept. Now I can see a Sept having 'citizens' sprend over several worlds/planets though. But at the end they are part of the Same Sept so...

The closest thing could see to your idea would be the Farsight enclave, who probably have troops from different Sept fighting together under a commander from another Sept (Vior'la in this case)...and this is exceedingly rare and the Vior'la probably dominate in the ranks.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 19:59   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It's called a "Composite" unit. We used to have them in the military. Usually they were thrown together to work as a combined arms team for specific missions.

For the Tau, this is the way of war already. If they need a seriously hard mission they would draw Crisis suits from the one sept that has the best, they draw Fire Warriors from another sept, etc...
Old 06 Nov 2008, 20:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, ty then ;D

what about a comander from one sept leading a cadre from another?

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 07 Nov 2008, 10:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONK
For the Tau, this is the way of war already. If they need a seriously hard mission they would draw Crisis suits from the one sept that has the best, they draw Fire Warriors from another sept, etc...
I don't think this is widely practised in the Tau Empire. Don't forget that a Cadre is most likely a tightly-knit unit, experienced in working together, each element completely trusting the others.

The true value of a Cadre are not "strong Firewarriors", or "good Battlesuits"; the true value is the cooperation of those units. Sure, Cadre A might have better Firewarriors than Cadre B, and B might have the better Crisis than A. But that doesn't mean that if you combine Crisis from B with Firewarriors from A you get the ultimate Cadre, since those units might have problems cooperating with each other.

So, no. If you would have a seriously hard mission, you would send a Veteran Cadre, not pieces from various Cadres who might have difficulties working together.

This whole "let's throw the best units of all armies together and form teh ubar-army" is not the Tau way of combat. It's not about the individual strength of units, but about their cooperation.

Still, I could imagine a Cadre like yours being perfectly reasonable. If, during a prolonged campaign, two Cadres are joined because of casualties and necessity, and they prove to be very efficient in working together, they probably would be kept together, and not split up. The Tau are pragmatic more than anything else - if it works, why break it?

A Commander from a different Sept would be possible, as well, but requires some tinkering... And he definitely should have a second-in-command from one of the Septs the Cadre itself is composed.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2008, 19:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

my comander (according to the fluff i am writing anyway) is a big player in the 3rd sphere expansion (think shadowsun's 2nd in command) so would they give shadowsun a cadre from here sphere?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08 Nov 2008, 14:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

*bump*

i really need to know if some of the higher upps like shadowsun would have a cadre from there sept when they go into battle

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08 Nov 2008, 14:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Tau do often command Tau from other Septs.

I think it mostly depends on where the Cadre ended up at the time it required more bodies to fill those gaps left in the wake of casualties. Another possibility is that of Tau families "moving" from one Sept to another - with child. That child would be raised in the new Sept's creche, despite being named for the old one.

In Fire Warrior, one of Shas'la T'au Kais' best friends in his cadre was a female Tau from D'yanoi (IIRC). Brightsword was once a member of Farsight's personal cadre, despite Brightsword being from Tash'var and Farsight from Vior'la.

Weird things like this happen, but it's not entirely uncommon. You just have to have the justification for it in your fluff.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2008, 15:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, ty ;D

Quote:
Quote: