Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ion heads in 5th
Old 05 Nov 2008, 15:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Ion heads in 5th

Are Ionheads worth taking now with 5th ed. rules the way that they are with respect towards vehicle damage? What's everybody think?
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Ion heads in 5th

Some ION info from page 2: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=74231.0

I liked them in 4th edition back when I played years ago. Now, I don't think they will be much for most vehicles anymore. Perhaps good to FAST vehicles or something with low armor you NEED to take out, but otherwise, I would rather have a Twin Linked Missle Pod on a suit or two.
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 15:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

I still take mine allong. They aren't as great as they used to be against marines but they are still nice against light vehicle (squadrons). It's a valid option, didn't change that much.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 17:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

You have to give them markerlight support but if you run 3 at a time then they work great. Just focus fire your markerlights on 1 unit of marines and you should get enough hits to increase the ballistic skill of all the Ionheads and reduce their cover save. Then let loose. You could realistically wipe out a unit of marines every turn.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 21:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I personally have stopped taking them, I used to love them but now find them to be pretty redundant when you can take a squad of crisis with twin missile pods for about the same cost. And you get twice the shots. The increase in cover saves makes them less useful against Meq so I have put my Ionheads to rest.

R.I.P Ionhead, I loved you oh so much.
Old 05 Nov 2008, 21:40   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the link Ira. That was helpful .... Now for another question... If I'm NOT fielding 3 Ionheads at a time, what do you all think about fielding 2 Railheads and 2 Broadsides for overall take all comer killiness? If yes, then Shield drones or no for the Broads??

To further judge this situation... I will be fielding 2 Death rains in my future tourney army.
Shas0 K0Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Nov 2008, 23:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas0 K0Vash
Thanks for the link Ira. That was helpful .... Now for another question... If I'm NOT fielding 3 Ionheads at a time, what do you all think about fielding 2 Railheads and 2 Broadsides for overall take all comer killiness? If yes, then Shield drones or no for the Broads??
If you have broadsides, you NEED shield drones. They cost too much to get one-shot by a lascannon from a marine paper tank.
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 01:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I used to run an ionhead with burst cannons in almost all my lists, but for fifth edition the ionhead has generally been replaced by a skyray with SMS. Markerlights are more important than ever for reducing cover saves, and the skyray has them. Also, it is one of only two vehicle configurations (besides piranhas, which I've never used) that can still fire all of its weapons at cruising speed.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 13:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't see the improved cover saves helping MEQs as they only get one save, armor or cover. It would be hard to get a 3+ save in cover. At least, this is how I understand the new cover saves, they are just better then before though. I still see the ION good to MEQ squads, but do you really want a tank that is there to take out basic marines? I like the 3 shots though. I'm still in a toss up though.

You are welcome for the link .
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2008, 13:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraSummers
I don't see the improved cover saves helping MEQs as they only get one save, armor or cover. It would be hard to get a 3+ save in cover. At least, this is how I understand the new cover saves, they are just better then before though. I still see the ION good to MEQ squads, but do you really want a tank that is there to take out basic marines? I like the 3 shots though. I'm still in a toss up though.

You are welcome for the link .
Improved cover saves are worse for the ion head because they make marines more resilient. It's nice to punch through their shiny 3+ but if all you're doing is reducing it to 4+ (which is quite likely) you really haven't increased the odds in your favour very well. In 4th ed 5+ cover saves were more prevalent, and the drop from 4+ to 5+ is more significant. Also in many situations where units get cover saves now, they would not have gotten them in 5th.

I love the Ion head, it was very rare for me to NOT take one in 4th edition, sometimes giving it priority over a railhead in small games, but in all honesty the Ion cannon just doesn't have the rate of fire to justify itself in 5th. Too bad because it is a fine lookin' cannon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote