Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deep Strike or Not to Deep Strike
Closed Thread
Old 16 May 2005, 06:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Deep Strike or Not to Deep Strike

I've been messing with my 1000 point list. I have one lone crsis suit. I was wondering if I should do my usual missle pods or turn him in to a fusion blasting deep striker. How effective is one crisis suit to deep strike? I know I'm gonna lose the poor guy but hopefully take out some enemy armor before he bites the dust. I could also rework some points so I have two crisis for deep striking. Ideas?
Old 16 May 2005, 06:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a
Default Re: Deep Strike or Not to Deep Strike

I would say it's a good idea, but it's a gamble. Make sure you deck him out good enough to stand a couple shots, and twin-link him and give him a hard-wired shield drone pair, because if he's going after tanks and he misses his first shot, he's probably gonna die without doing anything. BS3 sucks.

Also, dice gods sometimes hate deep strikers.

But crisis suits can kick ASS in deep strike, especially if you drop a full squad of tank hunters right on top of a tank, or three guys with anti-infantry weapons on top of a group of guardians. THAT was fun <3
Old 16 May 2005, 06:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wouldn't giving him a shield generator better than couple drones? With the new majority toughness rules, he'd get hit more with drones.
Old 16 May 2005, 06:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

IMHO, deepstriking suits, especially in a low point game, is a huge gamble that seldom pays off. *You're basically contemplating having your lone crisis drop in, possibly scatter out of range (or to his death) and then only kill a single vehicle about half the time. *Then he's very likely to die during your opponent's subsequent turn. *That's a big waste of a 60+ point unit. *In a 1000 pt game you're probably talking about 1-2 real "tanks" which your railguns should be able to deal with in any case. *

Lets do a statistical analysis:
1 mon'at TL FB suit - he will scatter, on average, 7" 2/3 of the time. *Of course he could scatter across the vehicle or at an angle, but overall a good percentage of the time he's going to end up outside the +d6 penetration for the FB. *

A TL FB crisis will hit 75% of the time. *Of those hits, against AV 12 (let's not use 10 b/c even good scatters are liable to move you out from behind the vehicle) you're going to get a damaging (i.e., penetrating since FB is AP 1) 50% of the time. *That means, on average, you'll get a damaging result 37.5% of the time. *So, assuming you land alive, a little more than 1/3 of the time you'll at least stop the vehicle from firing for a single turn.

What about deepstriking drones? *Scatter is less of an issue since they have an 18" range but they really can only affect the back side of armor. *Of course you can pick you landing point farther behind the tank (assuming there's room) so that most scatter results will still give you a chance of hitting the rear armor. *8 drones gives you 4.5 hits on average, with 1.5 damaging hits. *Of those you have a 50/50 chance of getting a penetrating hit. *However, nearly all the glancing results are also good since they will prevent the vehicle from firing (only a glancing immobilized result won't help since the tank could blast your drones the following turn). * Ok, so 8 drones cost more than the lone crisis suit.... however, they are also much harder to kill, requiring more than a single krak missile or lascannon shot.

In summary, I think deepstriking is not worth the risk, even with drones. *The use of a crisis suit is even worse IMHO because you're talking about losing a pretty expensive unit for about a 1/3 chance of a single success. *In comparison, for nearly the same cost, you could buy a broadside and add another railgun to the list....

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 16 May 2005, 06:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfc
Wouldn't giving him a shield generator better than couple drones?* With the new majority toughness rules, he'd get hit more with drones.
A shield generator just makes a suicide unit even more expensive.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 16 May 2005, 07:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ah the drones! Those little buggers are good for something! Reason why I'm thinking about deep striking in a low point game because I have a CTM whoring eldar friend that never likes to expose himself. I thought deep striking might razzle him a bit.
Old 16 May 2005, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Deep-striking is a risk, yes. But risking 54pts(TL fusion & flamer) is not a big deal. If you have an empty elite slot, go for it! I took out a raider doing so(outside 6" range BTW). So unless you`re suit heavy, why not? ;D

Knowing how to use power is genius

Call me your highness
Old 16 May 2005, 10:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I personally do not like deep striking Crisis suits with fusion blasters. As much as they're a great weapon, I simply don't like it if I scatter too far and cannot use the 2D6 penetration feature because I'm just not withint range of it. I find a lot of people using them who think they always get 2D6 penetration and it's disturbing (remember, it's within 6 inches, not at 6 inches or higher).

Now, I do deep strike suits sometimes. I also deep strike gun drones when possible as I prefer losing a squad of them to poor luck. However, when I take a suit for the job, I take a twin-linked missile pod with target lock suit for 56 points. He's cheap and very effective. However, the reason I do it mainly is so I can scatter and not worry about missing anything. I'd rather keep aiming for rear and side armors with 2 S7 shots that are twin-linked. It works totally find on the rear armor of those big tanks like Leman Russ, Defiler, Demolisher, and lots of the Eldar skimmers too. It crushes anything from behind short of a Land Raider and Monolith. Fusion is too limited, too random and not long enough range to make up for mistakes and poor scatters. Granted, scatting right to the front of a vehicle is quite an unpleasant situation (as it is more where the fusion blaster will be useful for once). This is precisely why scatting further behind the tank when possible allows for better use of the missile pod. And if you want to triple the fun, he can come down with friends and all 3 can take down 3 different vehicles if your opponent has them all together for some odd reason
Old 16 May 2005, 17:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Vega62a

If you take a shield generator and a hard-wired drone pair, your tank hunter would prolly survive the one turn it would take to get into the 6" zone, so long as the tank is relatively isolated.*That's the trick, is using your other units to isolate the tanks.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Taking a shield generator and HW drones requires the investment & sacrifice of an 'el or upgrading a regular suit both of which is very expensive. Now you're talking about blowing 100 plus points on a suit that might survive two turns instead of one. It makes more sense to concentrate the fire of your railguns if you're going to spend a couple turns hunting a hardened tank and in the case of something softer (e.g., say a whirlwind or a basilisk) gun drones work just as well.

Closed Thread