Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are Tau Tanks Overpriced?
Old 04 Nov 2008, 20:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau
Default Are Tau Tanks Overpriced?

Tau Tanks are very expensive. A Space Marine Predator can easily cost less than a Devilfish, especially once we start adding on goodies. A Whirlwind costs 85 points.

This all made sense back when being a skimmer meant that you were tough as nails. Now, Tau tanks benefit little from being expensive skimmers, all of their bonuses coming from upgrades that, quite frankly, add up pretty quickly.

Want to move quickly and still shoot anything? Buy a multitracker. Want to not crash and burn going into cover? Buy sensor spines. Want to not be giving away free kill points? Buy SMS - note that this isn't even an option for the Piranha.

Want to put a railgun on a tank? It costs 50 points. My Hammerheads are already threatening to break the 190-point barrier. This is ridiculous. Our tanks are terribly overcosted, and it just takes too much to make them lovely.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Are Tau Tanks Overpriced?

I agree. Even before the 5th edition rules took away all of the skimmer's awesome rules, Tau tanks were expensive. It was worse before the "new" codex. In the old one, an ion cannon cost 30 points, instead of the 15 they cost now.

At first glance, Skyrays look like a good deal. Let's see...a Hammerhead only costs a little more than a Whirlwind, and if you add the cost of 6 seeker missiles and two networked markerlights but subtract the cost of a targetting array, you get about 165 points (assuming that two networked markerlights are 20 points), which is a good 40 points cheaper than an actual Skyray.

However, with Whirlwinds costing as little as they do, with ordinance weapons, and the fact that Skyrays cost 40 points more than them, and can run out of seeker missiles in three turns, and that seeker missiles miss altogether instead of just scattering (although this is rare) and seeker missiles not having blasts, I would say that Skyrays, despite what I have mentioned in the previous paragraph, are hugely, ridiculously, unfairly, more exensive than they should be...hopefully this will be cleared up if/when the next Tau Codex comes out.

However, seeing as we just got one, what a year and a half or so ago, I don't know that I'm willing to wait that long. If only there was some way to complain to GW about it. :

P.S. Don't post points values. :P
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I completely agree, transports are supposed to be getting cheaper but we are forced to spend 80pts, 80PTS, for something that is not fast, is not well armoured, does not have brilliant weapons, now no longer allows us to shoot under it unless specially modelled and the enemy get a cover save, in any size battle, a vast amount of points would be spent on vehicles, for the price of even a piranha we could buy so many other things that would survive longer, move faster and do far more damage than 1 useless vehicle ever could
and that is just the devilfish and the piranha, the skyray might be OK but it only has 6 shots, when it runs out all we are left with is a massive, slow, pair of stealthsuits with no stealth capability, 6" movement for a highly advanced skimmer, and the hammerhead, it costs a fortune and the price doesn't even include any weapons, we pay an enourmous amount just for the 6" movement, the fly over terrain and the enemy's ability to pick us off from across the board with true LOS, and then we pay for the weapons!

question is, what should they cost?
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I am partially in agreement here, but not totally.

Devilfish could definitely do with coming down in price - 80 Pts for a basic transport is alot (although it does have front armour 12 and more maneuverability then many other armies transports). It soon adds up when you are trying to outfit your FW's or buying the enforced PF transport however. Still, as we have seen in alot of the new Codexes Transports generally are coming down in price - so we will have to wait our turn.

Our upgrades can make things even more expensive yes - but are they overpriced for the abilities they give?? Disruption Pod is only 5 Pts! and gives us a 4+ Coversave against everything but close range fire. - if anything that's underpriced! The Sensorspines and Multi - Trackers, give us abilities no other tank has - they turn all of our vehicles into fast vehicle firing equivalents and let us drive through terrain with total impunity! - 10pts a pop?? That's more than worth it for the tactical advantage that gives! As for the rail gun - 50 Pts is alot - but lets face it, its one of the longest range, highest strength tank killers in the game! And with the submunition is also extremely good against Infantry. Its hard to see it as overpriced for the power and versatility it gives. The SMS is a different story, It is probably to expensive for what it does, and with the drone killpoints situation it has become a bit of a necessary purchase - but again, it isn't excessively expensive.

Piranha's - for what they offer are dirt cheap - 60 points for a basic model and you get 24pts of Drones thrown in for free - If you go for a max squadron of 5 you get a free 120 Pts of Drones. So your 5 vehicles is only effectively costing you 180 pts (before upgrades).

So, I cant agree that our vehicle upgrades are overpriced, for what they offer us I think its fairly priced (apart from maybe Seekers, as one shot weapons they should maybe be cheaper), our standard vehicles even include some of these upgrades in there basic price (TA on HH for example).

However, I can agree that the Vehicles in themselves are too expensive for 5th edition. Transports should definitely come down in price, and I think the Basic HH template should be about 75 PTS (before Weapons and Upgrades). -Which would mean you could run a tool upped Rail Head for about 150 - 160 Pts, and a Ion Head for around 100/110 Pts. - This would seem fair to me.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You find your army "un balanced" ?
I mean, you loose too many times against the other armies ?
Because, if you lessened the price of your tanks, it means, you will have more points to distribute, and by the way, strenghten your army.. Would it be fair ?
Well, I just begein, with the Tau, and so, i'm not rather as good, as with my Ultramarines .
But even like that, on 6 games played, I won 2 loose 2 and tie 2.. So I think, it is quite balanced.
On the other way, I played only one game with my marines with the new ed, and codex, and won.
So for the moment, even, if it's true that tanks, are more expensive than those of other race I don't see it a problem, for the moment. (but as I said, i'm just a beginner).
You really, fairly, find them too expensive?

"Losses are acceptables, Failure is not" (R.Guilliman)
sarddok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 21:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
Devilfish could definitely do with coming down in price - 80 Pts for a basic transport is alot (although it does have front armour 12 and more maneuverability then many other armies transports). It soon adds up when you are trying to outfit your FW's or buying the enforced PF transport however. Still, as we have seen in alot of the new Codexes Transports generally are coming down in price - so we will have to wait our turn.
Most definitely. Rhinos don't cost half of what a Devilfish costs, and the Devilfish gets the advantage of being a skimmer (5th ed rules >), carrying an additional two models :P, one point extra of armor in the front, and a slightly better gun...oh yeah, and gun drones...so technically a Devilfish costs 60 points, BUT STILL!!! It's to expensive!
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishing
Most definitely. Rhinos don't cost half of what a Devilfish costs, and the Devilfish gets the advantage of being a skimmer (5th ed rules >), carrying an additional two models :P, one point extra of armor in the front, and a slightly better gun...oh yeah, and gun drones...so technically a Devilfish costs 60 points, BUT STILL!!! It's to expensive!
OK, Wait until the new codex.. for what they do for the SM, they will certainly doing it for the other races no?.
By the way.. About the other chapter of SM, those with their own dexes.. They too have to wait until a new released, or shall they pay less their rhinos already ???

Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
OK, Wait until the new codex.. for what they do for the SM, they will certainly doing it for the other races no?.
Ha. Ha ha. Heh he he haaaaahahahahahahha.

*wipes tear away from eye*

Hilarious.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Much agreed, while we have a lot of upgrades, it's still very expensive for us. =[
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 22:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Quote:
Ha. Ha ha. Heh he he haaaaahahahahahahha.

*wipes tear away from eye*

Hilarious.
I think that you will laugh again and more, when I 'll tell you, that it was not suppose to be ?