Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A potential note on Stealth teams.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 08:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to MDRedeemer Send a message via MSN to MDRedeemer
Default A potential note on Stealth teams.

So I was thinking of fielding a Stealth mob, 6 stealth suits and 12 gun drones just to be a big attention grabber, then I thought about adding fusion blasters. Now, this may just be a bit of desperate rules lawyering, taking advantage of RAW as opposed to RAI, but it reads like this. "One in three models may replace their burst cannons with a fusion blaster etc etc." Now the key part here is one in three models, do gun drone count for the model count? It doesn't say that only models equipped with burst cannons count for the total, it just says they are the only ones who can replace them. Now for the big important question.

By taking 6 stealth suits with 12 gun drones, a Model Count of 18, could I take 6 fusion blasters on my stealth team by replacing the burst cannons? This may sound like overkill, but this would be used for large games such as apoc for hunting the really big stuff, with drones as 12 more wounds to the suits.

Go ahead and tear this one apart, It was an interesting thought.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 09:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: A potential note on Stealth teams.

drones are wargear options: while wounds are treated normally for morale purposes, they should be treated as upgrade items for the purpose of the unit. Since upgrade items dont influence the 1 in 3 count, the best you can do is 2 fusion blasters.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 13:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
drones are wargear options: while wounds are treated normally for morale purposes, they should be treated as upgrade items for the purpose of the unit. Since upgrade items dont influence the 1 in 3 count, the best you can do is 2 fusion blasters.
But what sucks is they DO count to the 25% of losses for morale check. If this was not true, that would be great, though I don't see it as much use.
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 13:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

They aren't stealth suits so they don't count towards the on in 3. Why would you even wanna do that anyway? It kind completely nullifies their stealthfields when they have to get that close.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 14:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, it's not RAI probably, but by the wording it's technically legal. I'd let you use it in a game if we ever played.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I have to agree that it is legal. After all, if gun drones count as models for transport capacity, why not this?
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 16:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Pepsi has this one right. The drones are wargear, they don't count towards how many suits can take fusion blasters. Grammatically the sentence describing how many suits can take the upgrade is referring back to the previously mentioned stealth suits. Also, the sentence has the assumption of referring to models capable of wielding a fusion blaster, which drones obviously cannot. I would absolutely not let you field this unit.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 17:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Vimes
Pepsi has this one right. The drones are wargear, they don't count towards how many suits can take fusion blasters. Grammatically the sentence describing how many suits can take the upgrade is referring back to the previously mentioned stealth suits. Also, the sentence has the assumption of referring to models capable of wielding a fusion blaster, which drones obviously cannot. I would absolutely not let you field this unit.
But they are still models. Therefore, they count toward unit size. It may not be RAI, but it is RAW. Be a sport and let the man field his death squad.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 17:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I would love to be able to take as many fusion blasters as I want. However!

Quote:
One in three models (including the team leader or Shas'vre) may replace their burst cannon with a fusion blaster at a cost of x points per model
One in three models may replace their burst cannon...

THEIR

This implies that, of the models that we are counting, we count the ones burst cannons.

I wish it weren't so.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 17:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

No. No, no, no. The fusion blasters apply to the XV15/25s, not the gun drones.

You may field this unit, however you must first take a dreadsock-to-face check first by rolling 1d6, 1+ to fail.

This is just plain abuse and not at all in the spirit of the game, nor is it "desperate rules lawyering."
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote