Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help on tactics
Closed Thread
Old 15 May 2005, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Help on tactics

Hi im back if you even remember me.The last time i came here it was for advice and thank you for that however even though it helps im still not winning games (just loseing by a little)

A standard game will usually go something like this my opponent is in a bunker on the other side of the board. I manage to get within about 27 inches on it behind cover usually a wall that blocks LOS. I have allready defeated a tank not shure witch one( space marine the one, with the 24' range ordinace blast) that he insists on takeing even though he has never gottnen a shot off. I get out of the cover and get blasted to kingdom come by a heavy weapons squad toteing a lazcannon 3 rocket launchers and melta gun. My army is in such shambles that it cannot credibly kill enough of his men before they get out and assault me. How do i prevent this.

I play with 24 fire warriors
A Shas'o with plasma missile pod
3 Stealths (too few?)
about 6 Pathfinders w/3 Rail rifles
And a hammerhead with rail gun
Old 15 May 2005, 23:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Help on tactics

Well, after you take out his tank(s), my suggestion is that you pelet your opponent with your railgun until he ups and charges after you, then you can gain the advantage by using JSJ and other tactics using the available cover. Remember, your Railgun has a longer range than anything that SMurf infantry can carry, as well as heavy weapons can't be fired if the infantry moved (which includes even a single model of the squad).
Just out shoot him at range, and then engage an advantagious grounds once he gives up his primary strengths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 16 May 2005, 17:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine12
Hi im back if you even remember me.The last time i came here it was for advice and thank you for that however even though it helps im still not winning games (just loseing by a little)

A standard game will usually go something like this my opponent is in a bunker on the other side of the board. I manage to get within about 27 inches on it behind cover usually a wall that blocks LOS. I have allready defeated a tank not shure witch one( space marine the one, with the 24' range ordinace blast) that he insists on takeing even though he has never gottnen a shot off. I get out of the cover and get blasted to kingdom come by a heavy weapons squad toteing a lazcannon 3 rocket launchers and melta gun. My army is in such shambles that it cannot credibly kill enough of his men before they get out and assault me.* How do i prevent this.

I play with 24 fire warriors
A Shas'o with plasma missile pod
3 Stealths (too few?)
about 6 Pathfinders w/3 Rail rifles
And a hammerhead with rail gun
Firstly, your list: More fire warriors. Less stealthsuits. Drop the Pathfinder rail rifles. Second Hammerhead with an ion cannon. Or take one hammerhead with ion cannon, and one broadside.
His devestators are in a bunker? Piss easy to take out. markerlight them with your pathfinders. THen shoot your ion cannon using the markerlight. Your shas'o can help out as well. You hit on a 2+. And the best thing is: he can't claim ANY save- any guns using the markerlight ignore cover. Move up your fire warriors, and pound away at long range. Then its a case of hold your range and pop off his troops when he advances out to you. He's moving over a 24" killing field to get you. More than enough time to kill him.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 16 May 2005, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I would say drop the PF. For me, they are only good in larger games (but they are good). In place of the pathfinders, you can afford more Steath (a Tau MUST HAVE) and a few more firewarriors!
Old 16 May 2005, 22:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Lose the PF's, and if you INSIST on using them, defenitely get rid of the railguns; they have never been good at anything (statistically you can kill more MEq per turn with same points different unit).
Old 16 May 2005, 23:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
A standard game will usually go something like this my opponent is in a bunker on the other side of the board. I manage to get within about 27 inches on it behind cover usually a wall that blocks LOS. I have allready defeated a tank not shure witch one( space marine the one, with the 24' range ordinace blast) that he insists on takeing even though he has never gottnen a shot off. I get out of the cover and get blasted to kingdom come by a heavy weapons squad toteing a lazcannon 3 rocket launchers and melta gun. My army is in such shambles that it cannot credibly kill enough of his men before they get out and assault me.* How do i prevent this.
Hang on, he is in a bunker on the other side of the board correct? Now depending on what situation you are playing (i will assume just a normal 6 turn VP match) why are you going to him? It seems to me that you would benefit from not uprouting and going to him but waiting for him to come to you, giving you the advantage on firepower to begin with. If anything if he is determined not to come to you then just sit there, giving him no choice but to come to you if he wants a battle. This way his heavy weapons havent been able to fire so you would have more models capable of taking out his, and you should be able to make full effect of the Railgun whilst he is out in the open coming to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 16 May 2005, 23:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ML the bunker and use your railguns no cover save

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 17 May 2005, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay
Quote:
Hang on, he is in a bunker on the other side of the board correct? Now depending on what situation you are playing (i will assume just a normal 6 turn VP match) why are you going to him? It seems to me that you would benefit from not uprouting and going to him but waiting for him to come to you, giving you the advantage on firepower to begin with. If anything if he is determined not to come to you then just sit there, giving him no choice but to come to you if he wants a battle. This way his heavy weapons havent been able to fire so you would have more models capable of taking out his, and you should be able to make full effect of the Railgun whilst he is out in the open coming to you.
Didn't I just say pretty much the exact same thing as the first reply?
Anyways, when it comes to rooted opponents, Tau do better than anybody (except maybe IG with a lot of Bassilisks). Most of our main weapons are 30" or better, meaning that usually, your opponent's heavy weapons have either cheap troops to shoot at, or just sit and get killed at 72". You can pellet your opponents with your FWs, as heavy weapons are your opponent's only choice, and you can even markerlight with your pathfinders behind your FWs (your opponent would have to test to target your PFs ^_^), or just put them in cover.
Anyways, you've pretty much heard everything we can tell you with the information you gave us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Who?
Quote:
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 17 May 2005, 08:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Same as everyone get rid of the Pathfinders.

How many points you playing?
What type of bunker?

I just thought of a Crisis Suit with Flamer. Can you get close to Flame some Marines?
(Question if the suit has two flamers is that considered twin linked?)

Also go to a Shas'el if it is a small point game and go for a BS or two with the points from the Shas'O and Pathfinders.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Closed Thread