Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Analysis of Imperial Armor 3 Hammerhead Upgrades
Old 04 Nov 2008, 05:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Analysis of Imperial Armor 3 Hammerhead Upgrades

I'm reviewing the stats for the Imperial Armor 3 hammerhead options and honestly I hope to GOD that they put these in the new Tau Codex whenever it eventually comes out. They've got some great weapon options and I think that they could work really well.

Let's look at them one by one.

Twinlinked Long Barreled Burstcannon: It's basically a twinlinked Assault Cannon that is Heavy 3 instead of assault 4, doesn't rend but has an extra 12" of range. It's a nice option because it's cheap and it'll wound most infantry units on 2's. If you're looking for a hammerhead weapon that'll keep the points down and continually and reliably cause wounds then this is a great option. Twinlinked Ballistic Skill 4 is extremely like to hit all the time.

Missile Pods: It's a missile pod that's assault 4. Nothing wrong with that. You'll be able to reliably pop light vechicles all over the battlefield. Eldar Vehicles could get messed up by this upgrade. It'd also be great for taking down drop pods and dreadnoughts. Of course you could use it as well to constantly put wounds on marines to make them test and eventually fail armor saves.

Twinlinked Fusion Cannon: The star of the show in my opinion. The stats of a multi-melta except it's a small blast template! The scatter isn't such a big deal because the hammerhead is ballistic skill 4 and it's twin-linked so you can re-roll the scatter roll. This would mess up denesly packed units of necrons or space marines that are charging you in the face. It's also good for taking down vehicles because of course it has the melta rule at half range. I would take this as often as I take railguns. Possibly more often because it's cheaper.

Twinlinked Plasma Cannon: It doesn't work like imperial plasma cannons. It's Heavy 2 and it's not a blast weapon. It's just a plasma rifles with +1 strength that doesn't overheat like imperial plasma does and double the range. So you could be killing terminators and obliterators from 48" away. It's not that bad but then again it's really not that great. If I knew I was going up against a lot of terminators I might bring it. But I'd still rather have the Fusion Cannon.

I would LOVE to see these weapons added to the new Tau Codex. Do that along with giving the Tau Vehicle formations and I'd be in HEAVEN!
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 05:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Analysis of Imperial Armor 3 Hammerhead Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I would LOVE to see these weapons added to the new Tau Codex. Do that along with giving the Tau Vehicle formations and I'd be in HEAVEN!
As would most anyone else who has seen how good and how balanced these weapons are.
I actually have a Fusionhead. Or at least all the bits and pieces required to make one anyway. Maybe it'll be done by christmas, maybe it wont.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 06:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
As would most anyone else who has seen how good and how balanced these weapons are.
Seconded.
It's one of the most logical things they could do, in my opinion.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 10:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Seconded.
Which, of course, means it's the least likely thing they'll do.
Hell, they'll probably saddle us with another kind of space pope before we get these codex legal. Same goes for Tetras.
[/cynical rant]

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 11:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Seconded.
Which, of course, means it's the least likely thing they'll do.
Hell, they'll probably saddle us with another kind of space pope before we get these codex legal. Same goes for Tetras.
[/cynical rant]
they sound like they could help progress the race and help us kill Meq, so we wont get them...

i like the fusion cannon idea, maby on my second hammerhead... it will be fun to try it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 11:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nice! The fusion sounds dangerious though if you are supporting your troops as the scatter could land on them if your enemy is too close. There is no advantage to an assult weapon on a vehcile, is there? Good wright up though, I can't wait to get my IA3!
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 12:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I really can't see GW not giving us the Imperial armour 3 add ons. It's just too obvious. I'm on the fence about whether or not we're getting vehivle formations. From the way they had the Tau vehicles laid out in the 5th ed rule book it seemed likely. They had them in what seemed to be n armour hunting formation. Which would. Be badass.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 12:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Not completely sold on the FW turrets, i think the Ion cannan is better than the burst cannons and missile pods, and the fusion and plasma are basically a plasma Cannon/star cannon and i don't think there powerfull enough to be the main weapon on a HH.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 16:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAS VRE
... i don't think there powerfull enough to be the main weapon on a HH.
I agree with that part. Unless it allowed the HH to now transport. What would the area be used for with those weapons? It says it cannot transport beause of all the extra bits to the Ion cannon and Rail gun in order to fire. These weapons are battle suit weapons, so would not need THAT much room.

Now add transport, or even a "super upgrade" to a Devil fish...mmmm....
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 16:34   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I agree, see Eldar Wave Serpent/Falcon for precedent. A Devilfish with TL turret weapons would be a nice addition to the next codex. In all fairness, though, I would limit this newer "Up-Gunned" Devilfish to Fire Warriors only. Pathfinders get their Devilfish that allows re-roll scatter for deepstrikes (I think the Pathfinder Devilfish should also get the Positional Relay as well).

I'm not sure if this "Up-Gunned" Devilfish should be counted into the Force Org slot, like a Wave Serpent. Or it should be counted as it's OWN Force Ord slot, like the Falcon. I'd like to read some feedback from y'all on that one.

Fire Warriors would be a real threat to be reckoned with if they were backed up by this bad boy. To stop everyone from going off, I am NOT saying it should be inexpensive, just that it should be a choice to take it.

Bravo, IraSummers! I think you've got something there.