Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors losing combat
Old 01 Nov 2008, 15:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Fire Warriors losing combat

I've read in various places that when Fire Warriors get engaged in combat, the preference for the Tau player is that they lose that combat and run (thus photon grenades are a bad idea). But why?

Given they're I2, they're likely to all get destroyed by the pursuit. Surely it's better to hold the assaulting unit for as long as possible so it can't go about assaulting other Tau units? I can see that an unengaged enemy assault unit can be shot at, but there'll no doubt be other threatening enemy targets that could be shot at instead if the assault unit was locked in combat & thus not an immediate threat.

Thanks
hobgnoblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 15:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Fire Warriors losing combat

the fire warriors cold survive the original combat, and then die at the end of your turn, then your opponent gets to charge a new squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 15:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also, you can only shoot at stuff not engaged in combat.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 15:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by steck_638
the fire warriors cold survive the original combat, and then die at the end of your turn, then your opponent gets to charge a new squad
exactly - so you would not get to fire on that unit before they assulted and killed another target.

Also, your opponent can no longer consolidate into CC so when your squad has been wiped out, if it happens in the enemys turn in your turn you get to fire the shit out of them, all holding them up does is mean that they are locked in CC and you cant fire at them. Unless you have a squad of Kroot and Kroot Hounds in charge range you want to be able to fire at them.

With the 5th ed consolidation changes holding up the combat another turn works in your opponents favour. He charges in his turn, the FW's stand, He finishes them in your turn, gets to make a consolidate move (D6 towards your next unit), then can fire assult weapons and assult your next unit in his assult turn. Your FW's will not hurt him badly, or win the combat (unless you are fighting something like Eldar Guardians) so ideally you want your troops to die so you can focus fire and destroy this dangerous unit in your shooting phase.

Only time I want Fire Warriors to stand is if its the last turn of the game and they are fighting on an objective, or possibly if there are Kroot in charge range (and that depends what they are fighting and what way my unit of Kroot are set up).
Old 01 Nov 2008, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ah - got it! If they're going to die anyway, it's better to do it in their turn than in your own. And the chances of holding twice is all but zero.

Cheers.
hobgnoblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 17:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgnoblar
Ah - got it! If they're going to die anyway, it's better to do it in their turn than in your own. And the chances of holding twice is all but zero.

Cheers.
But it is not for sure that they will die, it is also possible that they can fall back, considilate, and begin shooting again(hopefully you have eliminated the threat with backup fire by this time) and be a (weakened) fighting unit.
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The main point is that a unit in combat is immune to fire from the rest of the Tau army. Fire Warriors being what they are, there is little sense in prolonging the inevitable.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2008, 18:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

This was more of a tactic in 4th edition though. You could remove the models in base to base, with the enemy, and then when you lost combat they could not sweeping advance you. This is not the case now, but your fire warriors will probably still loose combat and be run down. The good thing now is that the enemy can't bounce from combat to combat, staying safe from return fire.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 03:33   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

So, ending the combat in your turn is better in 5th.

I really wonder what there is to be said about, in a static list, of having 6 squads of 6 Fire Warriors. If the enemy only has one or two dedicated quick-moving assault squads, they won't be able to do much damage before being blown off the map by the rest of the army.

[edit] Yes, yes, the turn they get charged. Sadly, I don't get charged enough to know what's what.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2008, 04:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

In fifth, for Tau, ending combat in your opponent's turn is good. Ending combat in your turn just earmarks another of your units for death.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote