Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Protecting the HQ
Old 30 Oct 2008, 05:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Protecting the HQ

Firstly, I do not know if this works. I have not tried it out. Everything I say will be true, but from scattered experiences (not conjoined to make a massive protection like this). This will also only apply if points aren't really an issue.

You will need:

1 Shas'o Commander + 2 Shas'vre bodyguards
2 Shas'ui XV8 Crisis Battlesuits + 1 Shas'vre XV8 Crisis Battlesuit
Troops
Anything else

What to do:
[list type=decimal][*]Firstly, we are going to make your HQ be as safe as possible. You can't do this with a 500 point cap (probably not even with a 1000 point cap). To start, give him the following things: Flamer; Drone Controller; Shield Generator; Ejection System; Iridium Armour; Stimulant Injector; 2 Shield Drones. Though he can't really defend himself against attackers using weapons, your HQ is pretty well protected from most attacks.[*]Next, we need to make the Retinue. From past experiences, I have found that two bodyguards work better with one HQ than 2 HQ with 1 bodyguard each. We're going to make each bodyguard capable of defending our HQ from either CC or ranged attackers. Give your first bodyguard: TL Missile pod; Shield generator; Failsafe detonator; H/W Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones. Your second bodyguard however, is a more CC type of guy. You will need to give him: TL Fusion blaster; Shield Generator; H/W Drone Controller; H/W Target Lock; 2 Shield Drones; 1 Gun Drone. You now have 6 Shield drones and 1 Gun drone to die before anything else.[*]Your HQ is safe enough now as it is, however, I feel you should add a normal XV8 Crisis suit team to act as "third party" bodyguards. This squad is what makes up for the lost power from your Shas'o. Give the two Shas'ui suits either a TL Plasma Rifle or a TL Missile Pod and a Shield Generator. Give your Shas'vre a TL Plasma Rifle or TL Burst Cannon and a Shield Generator too, but also give him a H/W Drone Controller and 2 Shield drones (depending on the weapon you take). These drones will once again protect their squad from harm, and therefore protect your HQ.[*]Now that we have your HQ and bodyguards all set up, it is time to work out how we can keep your HQ safe.
Surround the HQ with your bodyguards (and third-party bodyguards).[*]Put your HQ into cover. If he gets an AP1 attack, although you've got Iridium armour and a bunch of bodyguards as instant cover, you still should get that 3+ cover save if possible. Get him into a building if you can. This team's objective is to stay alive - not go into combat.[*]Keep the elite team in front of him at all times. They will provide a cover save that may save his life. The same goes for the bodyguards, although keep them at the back.[*]For front on attacks, shift the damage on to your the shield drones first, then to the elites, then to the other shield drones, then to the gun drone, then to your retinue, then to the HQ (if his time comes). I'll let you figure out how to watch his back.[*]Target their HQ with heavy support like Ion Cannons and Railguns. Without their HQs, your enemies will suffer leadership tests greatly.[*]Attack! Attack! Attack! Keep your opponent busy with the rest of your army. Then your HQ can't be a target.[*]Utilize your elite/HQ bodyguards to attack from where they can. If you need them to open up during the movement phase, then do so. Just remember to move them back during the assault phase.[/list]
Once again, I do not know if this works, so please try it out, and see if it does. Feedback is always welcome too.

rider_eragon

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 06:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten
Default Re: Protecting the HQ

So, you're advocating putting a whole lot of points into an HQ selection, just so you can stick him in a building and screen him with large point costing elites... just so the HQ survives the game?
Why would you want to do this?
As far as I can tell, the HQ is not even a scoring unit...
Is this for some specific situation or something?
I apologize if this sounds like flaming, as that's not my intent, but most of this sounds more counter-productive rather than helpful to a Tau player.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 08:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

I also can't imagine why you'd try this. Your commander has the highest BS in the army; give him something other than a flamer imo. No point having him alive if he's not wreaking havoc.

If I really wanted my commander to live, I'd give him stims, a shield generator and shield drones and attach him to a drone squadron. 10 extra wounds! If he's not anti-infantry, give him a target lock as well. He can do his job while the drones pin down suckas. You can detach him temporarily in any turn when you won't be able to get the whole squadron out of LoS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_eragon
H/W Drone Controller; 3 Shield Drones ... You now have 8 Shield drones and 1 Gun drone to die before anything else.
2 drones per DC.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 09:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

You can also attach your HQ to a squad of stealth suits, and potentially avoid fire, or equip longer range fire power and join a sniper drone team for the same affect. Independent character status FTW.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 10:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Note that stealth fields only work if the entire squad is equipped with them! (C:TE: 27). By attaching a non-stealthed character to a stealth squad, the whole squad is revealed and can be shot at normally. If you want to attach a commander to a stealth team, use O'Shaserra.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 11:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

OK. In my defence:

1. This is if you've got points to kill. Not if you're tight on points. Also handy if you fear your opponent.
2. I forgot about the Shas'o's BS. My bad. But again, this would be good for hiding him.
3. A good scenario is "Destroy HQ". If he can't be targeted, then he's safe.
4. Ah. Damn it! I'll fix this.

Old 30 Oct 2008, 16:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I find that the HQ is a very versatile piece that requires that he get out there and fight. Yes, he will take wounds and will suck up fire, but as a unit that can join a beleaguered Fire Warrior team and raise the LD, as a unit that can JSJ (alone this should be why he/she's is out there), as a unit with the best BS to get the best results from a needed CIB or ABF, as a unit that can jump into a hole that your enemy is exploiting and almost seal it up, I just don't ever see my HQ remaining in the rear.

With a HQ that contains Farsight, can you resist attempting to win at least ONE CC encounter? I mean, we are Tau. We don't win CC fights. Can you imagine savoring the surprise in the unwary opponent that loses said CC assault?

I have fought several games, against different foes. I run a commander with ABF and Missile pod, and two Fireknive guards, three to six shields. It is a very expensive unit, but I have never lost it, and rarely even lose a Body Guard. To me, take my HQ out and I have to limp to victory opposed to stomp on my opponent. Though he gets bruised and bloodied, my commander hops across the battlefield, saving the bacon of my other units.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 05:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

So this is for use with a home-made scenario? Might be a good idea to state that in the original post as most of this makes little sense to use with the missions in the 5th ed book (or at least the small one). In fact, with KP, you've just double the amount your opponent receives if the HQ w/ bodyguard gets killed.
You're advocating the voluntary removal of some of the Tau's best units without really explaining why.

The mobile firepower of the crisis suits are one of the things that make Tau unique (to me at any rate) and I can not think of any reason why it would be rational to stick it all in a bunker in the back corner of the field. But if this is what you do with one HQ, what do you do when you take two HQ selections?
Old 31 Oct 2008, 06:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

As I've said before, I haven't tried it. I probably will never try it. I don't know how or why the idea came to me. It isn't my style. My commander is always a Shas'o for the obvious reasons (incredible BS, good Tau WS, good no. of wounds, etc.)

This is probably for the paranoid player that doesn't like/know much about the army he's facing. Especially if he's playing a Destroy HQ campaign (the name states rules). It's only a suggestion for those players (sorry to stereo-type).