Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Absolutely Deadly Deepstrike Formation (ADDF)
Old 30 Oct 2008, 04:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Absolutely Deadly Deepstrike Formation (ADDF)

I'm not sure if anyone else has had success using a formation similar to this, but, for me, deepstriking suits can be one of the deadliest forces in a Tau army. And now that flamers, especially twin-linked ones, have been buffed by the 5th edition rules, this strategy has gotten even better.

Now, before I explain the formation and the strategies required to use it, I'll explain the cons of it, and of deepstriking in general.

1. There's always the possibility of complete disaster... ie, scattering off the board or on another model. Personally, I have ridiculous luck with deep strikes, and will take massive risks with them... once, I deepstruck a full Crisis Team in between two masses of 'nid Gaunts. That was good times. Anyway, that's not the point. The way to minimize this is to use a Pathfinder Devilfish, which can park in a reasonably safe place while still maintaining LOS.
2. It puts your team at risk by separating it from the rest of your army. The key to mitigating this is to make sure that everything near the deepstriking unit is in no condition at all to strike back. >
3. You can't necessarily control when it comes in, much like all reserves. Or can you? Two words: "Positional Relay." Gotta love it. It is useful both for deepstriking and for controlling your reserves in general.

Now, here's my formation.
1 Shas'vre or Team Leader Crisis Suit
-TL Fusion Blaster
-Flamer
-2 shield drones (optional)
-Hard wired multi-tracker
2 Crisis Suits
-TL Flamer
-Target Lock

The goal of the formation is to end up in a position that allows your leader to target a vehicle (the "primary" target from which your Target Locks split off from), and your two flamer suits to toast a group of Infantry. You'd be surprised how often players will park their expensive vehicles next to squishy (or un-squishy) infantry. The TL flamers can take their toll on just about anything, including close-packed marines.

My best record so far was deep striking next to a tooled-out Dreadnaught and 2 squads of tactical marines. The Dreadnaught blew up, and 5 marines (including the missile and heavy-bolter wielding ones) died after they took somewhere in the vicinity of 14 wounds. The squads of marines were further damaged by long-range seeker missile fire, and the squad survived the rest of the game without too much damage.

At any rate, the lack of target priority tests in 5th edition, as well as the new template rules, make this squad of Crisis suits incredibly deadly; I'll be using it in many future games to come.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 05:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Absolutely Deadly Deepstrike Formation (ADDF)

Alright...I have to ask.

How did 5th edition make twin linking a template weapon better? It has the exact same effect it did in 4th, allowing a re-roll for wounding hits.

Thankfully, you didn't make the mistake of thinking you needed three separate TL's.
I still don't see myself trying out this configuration. I don't think it'll earn it's points back really. Too much of an "all-or-nothing" group to me. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 08:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave to the Bell.
Alright...I have to ask.

How did 5th edition make twin linking a template weapon better? It has the exact same effect it did in 4th, allowing a re-roll for wounding hits.
It actually did may template weapons better in general. Because theres no more partials theres more hits that your going to be re-rolling to wound for. This makes it that much better to twin link the system so you can really take advantage of all of those extra hits.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 08:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Alright...I have to ask.

Because all the templates now go off at once, and there are no more partials. You work out how many all 3 templates hit, and then roll for wounds. Targets with no save/low save will be annihilated and even MEQs will lose 6 or 7 models against that sort of fire power/ Plus no Cover Saves!.
Also Deepstrike is safer, and add in the PF DF reroll on scatter and they should land where you want them to!

I have been using a similar set up since my first 5th game - where I had 47 pts left on my list so brought a Monat suit with TL Flamer. He Killed 6 Seraphim from a squad of 10 on his own!

I use 3 Suits, TL Flamers, Drone Controllers and 3 x Gundrones. That way if you don't destroy the unit you are flaming you stand a chance of pinning them and doing the whole thing over again the next turn.

Positional relay - also awesome, have yet to have a 5th ed battle where this piece of wargear was not on my HQ.

Cheap - Deadly - Effective. Very Very Useful!
Old 30 Oct 2008, 11:17   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Why don't you put the target lock on the shas'vre and 2x drone controllers with 1 shield drone each on the other two members. Not only do you save 5 points (hey, every little thing counts), but you also make your unit tougher to kill. If you were to lose your Shas'vre/team leader before you'd lose your 2 shield drones as well, now only 1 shield drone goes a pop with it's suit.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 11:29   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Alright...I have to ask.

It actually did may template weapons better in general. Because theres no more partials theres more hits that your going to be re-rolling to wound for. This makes it that much better to twin link the system so you can really take advantage of all of those extra hits.
They never considered partial hits. It was blast/large blast templates that counted partial hits.

GoneFishing is probably correct in that they may have hit at different times before. I can't remember that part...
nalanthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 14:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As far as I understood it, TL flamers meant you basically fired two separate flamers at the same target space. (the template.), counting as one weapon. Meaning you re-rolled to wound.
Originally Posted by BRC
The W40k universe is like a hobo with a terminal disease tied to some railroad tracks in the middle of a warzone.
And that's not awesome how?
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 14:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've got to suggest replacing the fusion blasters with another flamer (making it twin linked) and a missile pod (just in case your targets in a transport) or burst cannon (for more ap5 goodness). I agree with Anders, you should put the drone controllers on the 'uis, after all, u dont really need that target lock.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 18:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane
As far as I understood it, TL flamers meant you basically fired two separate flamers at the same target space. (the template.), counting as one weapon. Meaning you re-rolled to wound.
Yep thats right - the beauty of it now is if you have 3 suits with TL Flamers, all 3 Templates hit at the same time (so your opponent does not get to strategically remove models to lessen the effect of following shots). So you get to place 3 flame templates on the unit, total up the hits (ie. anyone the template touches), roll for wounds, then reroll any failiures to wound. Against a Horde army you could easily get 30 odd hits and 25 odd wounds, and because of the sheer amount of fire you are laying down (pardon the pun) it will even work well against MEQ armies.

So good George Foreman would put his name to it.
Old 30 Oct 2008, 20:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the sound of this, I may try it this weekend. Question though, do you do the Move in, shoot, move out (during assault phase) to keep out of assault range or what do you do when they move in CLOSE? That is the only thing that would concern me.

And a rule question regrading this. So with TL, do you only re roll the ones that miss, or do you have to re roll everything?

Off Topic: This forum is great!!
IraSummers is offline   Reply With Quote