Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help vs deamons
Old 29 Oct 2008, 22:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default help vs deamons

i am getting ready for a local tournament, and the only problem i can think of is a deamon army i know will be there, he will run 2 soul grinders, a squad of bloodletters (one symbol), 2 squads of plaguebearers (one symbol) some horrors (not shure on number, and they have some bolt thing or something) a skull taker on a beast thing, and a squad of 3 blood crushers for a body guard or something, and 3 guys that shoot flamethrower templates

at 1500pts, and sorry for not knowing exact upgrades or anything

any help/tips/ideas? ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2008, 22:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: help vs deamons

Taking transports for your infantry could be a wise move as it helps you avoid combat and outmanouvre them, for the soul grinders take a couple of hammerheads with railguns.
Old 29 Oct 2008, 22:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Remember, he only has half of his army on the first turn, and he can't assault you. I would consider concentrating deployment on the flank with the most terrain features, so he his deep strike will be harder. Even if this gives him some cover, use your vehicles to outmaneuver this and focus your fire. Your biggest threat is CC, and it is better to put more fire than not enough.

Be ready to sacrifice some units. You are better to overwhelm his units with your suppressive fire than to divide it between 2 units from which a few models could survive. This is to avoid him locking you in multiple combat turns. With 5th ed, you are better to leave a CC unit untouched to let it crush you entirely in CC and get to shoot at it the next turn rather than getting multiple small units grinding your units slowly.

He has a pretty hard scoring list, but other than that he looks weak... he has not enough Crushers to use them properly (they don't need numbers to be good, they need it to survive... Really, these guys are mean, and never let them hit your lines except with a sacrificial unit).

Consider using some kroots. Put them directly onto the objectives, or if not a mission with objectives, spread opposing to your main flank. That way he'll have to split up an already split up army...

About the his core troops :
Ignore the Letters (Khorne daemons) unless they are too close, in which case they are your #1 priority.
Horrors are mean, they ignore your armor save and get a lot of shots plus anti-tank shots. Due to their invulsave, the best suppression tool we have are Burst Cannons equivalents (pulse rifles, pulse carbines, even Kroot guns). Concentrate your heavy fire on heavy targets, and pulse on them and other core.
Plague Bearers are resilient, but nothing our army can't handle. Once again, they represent a menace only if close.

About the soul Grinders:
Unless he has the pie plate shooting attack, he's not a priority if not in charge/flamer range. Just put some rail up his face.

About flamers :
Never, never let them be at flaming range. If he DS good, never let them have a 2nd flaming of doom chance, suppress them priority #1.

Really, I don't know why everyones concerned with Daemons. I played them and hated them. They are original, and can be quite competive, if not abusive (abuse based on lucky rolls thought...), but nothing All comers can't take...
Old 30 Oct 2008, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

Kroot really shine here, as they don't even have an armor save to begin with and they never had power weapons to be deflected with an invulnerable save. Just don't expect to last more than a round, so break them up into manageable, 10-man chunks.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2008, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i would love to out manouver him, but i olny have a hammerhead and a devilfish

at least one of his soul grinders can shoot a blast, not shure about the other

Quote:
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Old 31 Oct 2008, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If you want a simple answer, go second. Why? Because everyone can now pull the trick deamons can do. Go second, and don't deploy a thing. Sure, the units you need immediately might not come on, but you strike where you wish after most of his army is sitting around waiting for you to show up. It's far easier than trying to design a list to kill them, as they all are hard to kill in the first place.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2008, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Kroot really shine here, as they don't even have an armor save to begin with and they never had power weapons to be deflected with an invulnerable save. Just don't expect to last more than a round, so break them up into manageable, 10-man chunks.
lol, I was about to suggest NOT taking kroot. Have a few daemon players at my local store, and they really are a very very good melee army, and engaging them in close combat seems like a waste of points (it certainly has been every time i've tried kroot)

Just stay mobile. They're the worst shooting army in the game. If they can't get to grips with you, they can't kill you--and while their invulnerability saves make them resilient, if you pour enough fire into them, they'll go down eventually, and if you keep moving they won't touch you.
Old 04 Nov 2008, 12:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I actually manage to take down a bloodthirst with a full squad of fire warriors (don't ask me how). But I supose it's just a matter of firepower as others have already said in the thread.
Danelidue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2008, 12:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i ended up not fighting the chaos deamons

i had a fire warrior (single, his squad was dead) rapid fire and kill a deamon prince (olny one wound left, but still...)

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04 Nov 2008, 17:43   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Shield Drones for EVERYONE, Fire Warriors included. This allows you to keep a save at all times. Transports are good. Shoot them to death, they can only make so many saves. As for the large dudes....<switches to German accent> "Zat iz vat da Railguns are foor!"