Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Jetpacks - Assault Move
Old 26 Oct 2008, 04:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou
Default Jetpacks - Assault Move

I had this issue come up in a game.

My opponent had stealth suits 4" away from a unit of genestealers that he wanted to try and tie up in close combat. However the genestealers were in area terrain (difficult terrain) 2" into the terrain.

It looked like this
S = Stealth Suit
T = Terrain
G = Genestealers

SSSSSS
2" inch away...

TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTGGGGGTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTT

So I say to him 'dude you need to take a difficult terrain test if you want to assault me. He argued that Jetpacks let him ALWAYS move 6" in the assault phase no matter what. And I argue that Jetpacks still follow the rules for Jump Infantry. Meaning they assault just like normal infantry would and thus must take a difficult terrain test when assaulting into, out of, or through.

So who was right?

Do jetpacks really get to ignore difficult terrain for performing assaults? Or is their 'assault move' only for extra movement and doesnt work when declaring an assault?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Jetpacks - Assault Move

I think they'd have to take the test like normal jump infantry, bit hard to attack someone when you're flying in the air somewhere above them.
But, why would you use stealth suits to assault genestealers? They'd get torn to shreds and there are better ways to stop them or tie generstealers in combat than expensive suits. Chances are good that they'd break and die after the first round of combat, making the assault them before they assault you thing irrelevant.
So, in conclusion I'd say they'd have to take the test, there'd only be a 1/36 chance of them not making it there and its in your best interest for them to make it.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 04:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

as best I can recall, he has to make a dangerous terrain test when ending a move in difficult terrain. Pretty sure he gets his full move, but it's risky. I could be mistaken on this one, I'd have to check the rules to find out for sure.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 04:55   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

it is my impression that when assaulting suits run in not jump in. i believe in the 4th ed book they described it as them landing part way and running in. you would make the difficult terrain check. If you were just moving in the assault phase you would make Dangerous terrain check since you can only move by the jet pack. In regular movement phase i believe you can choose either. unless i am merging too much of the old rules in with the new.
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 05:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I can't find anything in the new rules that says you must land and run to assault. As posted above this was a really dumb move unless they were about to get assaulted anyway from behind, but that isn't the point :P
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 05:12   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is implied, but it is still pretty clear.

In the Movement phase, they only move 6" when
using their packs, but are always allowed to move
6" in the Assault phase, even if they donít assault.
When jet packers move in the Assault phase and
do not assault
, they treat difficult terrain just as
other jump infantry do in the Movement phase.

From this I read that models with Jetpacks entering difficult terrain take Dangerous Terrain tests when they don't charge, and Difficult Terrain tests when they do. So I think Akaiyou was correct.

It would be clearer if it said "may always move" instead of "may always move 6". But I think they were trying to make it extra clear that Jet Packs never give you a single 12" move like Jump Packs.

By pure RAW the 6" will probably override the need for a Difficult Terrain test, but I think it is just tricky wording.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 05:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Akaiyou Send a message via MSN to Akaiyou Send a message via Yahoo to Akaiyou

They are supposed to move like jump infantry.

pg 52 is the rules in question. Jetpacks work the same as jump infantry and the rules for jump infantry says they are slowed by difficult terrain in the same way as other infantry because the unit covers the last yards of an assault on foot.

so what exactly exempts jetpacks from this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
It is implied, but it is still pretty clear.

In the Movement phase, they only move 6" when
using their packs, but are always allowed to move
6" in the Assault phase, even if they donít assault.
When jet packers move in the Assault phase and
do not assault
, they treat difficult terrain just as
other jump infantry do in the Movement phase.

From this I read that models with Jetpacks entering difficult terrain take Dangerous Terrain tests when they don't charge, and Difficult Terrain tests when they do. So I think Akaiyou was correct.

It would be clearer if it said "may always move" instead of "may always move 6". But I think they were trying to make it extra clear that Jet Packs never give you a single 12" move like Jump Packs.

By pure RAW the 6" will probably override the need for a Difficult Terrain test, but I think it is just tricky wording.
Ah okies, thanks for clarifying that. I read it that same way as well. Don't see anything that exempts them from assaulting like normal jump infantry and having to take a difficult terrain test as normal to assault.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 05:24   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

If your opponent wanted to be a jerk about it, he would state that the box on 52 describes all of the ways that Jetpacks differ from Jump Packs. And he would point to the "may always move 6"" as a difference that overrides Difficult Terrain.

The same problem is there for Jetbikes and Eldar Jetbikes, but the wording is a little clearer.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 05:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
If your opponent wanted to be a jerk about it, he would state that the box on 52 describes all of the ways that Jetpacks differ from Jump Packs. And he would point to the "may always move 6"" as a difference that overrides Difficult Terrain.

The same problem is there for Jetbikes and Eldar Jetbikes, but the wording is a little clearer.
True but I can argue that this is to clarify that they get a 'move' in the assault phase.

In the rulebook in every single case where difficult, dangerous terrain or any other form of terrain or such is ever ignored, the rule specifically says 'this ignores difficult/impassible/dangerous terrain'.

so 'may always move 6' is not saying 'this ignores difficult terrain' pg 14 of the rulebook explain difficult terrain and it says that you MUST test if you want to enter/move through difficult terrain period. That's the golden rule

and then there's rules that specifically say they ignore it. Jetpacks says you can 'may move 6' yes, u can move 6' but you have no rule saying you ignore pg14 unlike other stuff that do specifically ignore it.

Golden rule of 40k is that 'if it doesn't say you can, then you can't' right?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 12:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

On the plus side if he did insist on it then you could make him roll dangerous Terrain Tests before he assulted. - Always a fun one for 1 wound Stealth Suits :P

But no, he has to assult on foot.