Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Team w/ Marker Drones?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Stealth Team w/ Marker Drones?

Rules question:

If a stealth team has marker drones and does not move during the movement phase and uses the markerlights on marker drones, can the make the 6" move in the assault phase (not assaulting an enemy unit, just a move)? I think they can, but I wanted to check.
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 17:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Stealth Team w/ Marker Drones?

they can use the marker drones even if they moved during the movement phase jet packs now give you the relentless special rule, and stealth teams + marker drones in stealth teams have them. So you can in fact JSJ with a marker drone in a stealth team. Happy hunting!
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 02:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Holy shit....I never thought of that, that's epic and I will definitely do that.....
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
Holy Shtlk....I never thought of that, that's epic and I will definitely do that.....
Yep!!!! one of the coolest things to hit tau this edition!
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saracen
Holy Shtlk....I never thought of that, that's epic and I will definitely do that.....
Yep!!!! one of the coolest things to hit tau this edition!

Convenient too, have an apoc game tomorrow, i'll split my stealth teams up into threes and give them all maxed out marker drones...
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That's more extreme than I've gone, I've been putting a maxed squad of stealth suits, with 3 marker drones and the rest gun drones. Makes for a very durable, hard to see, and potent unit. (the marker drones are networked lights)
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you are using the lights to mark for the rest of your army, putting them on stealth teams is about 80% more expensive than a full squad of pathfinders. I think it's totally worth it, just thought those new to the idea might want some of the math. 90 points per ML hit, assuming the stealths just sit there at ~30" for invisible JSJ marking.

If you're regularly using the markers to buff the stealths' firing, it's probably worth boosting the squad size up towards 6 suits; perhaps with some gun drones to round out the hardpoints. This is because a marker drone buffing a stealth squad's BS only breaks even with targeting arrays when you have 6 suits (+1BS = 1 marker hit = 2 marker drones = 60 points = 6 targeting arrays). Less than 6 suits, and targeting arrays are a cheaper way of boosting the team's average performance.

For a mixed role, I'd take 4-5 suits, with marker drones appropriate to their battlefield role, and gun drones in numbers that depend on a) the number of suits and b) the amount of shooting you want to do with the team. Gun drones gain about 40% more hits with that first markerlight BS buff, making them a cost-effective way to make the lights pay for themselves.

I posted about this a few weeks ago; you probably don't want to go as overboard as I suggest in that post though ^_^
Old 26 Oct 2008, 23:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey guys, I actually used this in a game recent against some Space Wolves in cover.

I jetted in, and had enough Mls on a full size stealth team with 6 MLs (2 stealths w/ fusion blasters). I was able to negate the 4+ cover save completely and bring BS to 5... shot the group up to hell and forced leadership (of course they passed, they are marines).

It was a very effective use of them. I was shocked how well it worked. The only problem I have is that it is sooo damn exspensive (180 pts), but versus a Pathfinder team... no pathfinder team can also put that kind of firepower with those defensive capabilities. I like how it is a self-sufficient unit that is not as squishy, but again, a 300+ point unit is enough to make anyone cringe.

Thanks for everyones input, glad to spark some ideas.

I always love to try new things, and I am very much in the experimental stage right now.
enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 04:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

There are a couple of advantages to outfitting a stealth team with lots of marker drones. Point cost, of course, is not one of them. Any other form of markerlight is going to be cheaper than the marker drones, although since they are mobile in 5th edition it's a bit more attractive than it was. The biggest reason I can think of for adding the markerlights on a stealth team is that my stealthers usually outflank, and that can occasionally put them out of reach of the other markerlights in my army. With the incredible amount of firepower and points involved in a good-sized stealth marker team, you want them hitting on 2's and twinlinked 3's if at all possible. If they end up badly positioned, the only way to do that would be to carry their markerlights with them.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2008, 15:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought about markerdrones a while back and dismissed it, but there are some good arguments here. The squad size is the biggest factor in "points-efficiency" of markerdrone use. I suggest the largest squad you can handle. Given you want about 2 ML hits a turn, you'll want 4 markerdrones. Add that to a squad of six stealthsuits. Then add as many gun drones as you can handle. Gun drones are cheap, add firepower, get stealthed by the suits, and can be allocated wounds to keep your more expensive drones and suits alive. Max squad size would be 18 models, of which 8 are gun drones.

I don't know about shield drones, though. I'll have to do some research.

What about the squad leader? You can give him a markerlight and a HW multitracker, but it's not networked. If he gets a hit, it'll be usable by other squads.
daniel.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote