Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau in 5th
Old 25 Oct 2008, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Starting Tau in 5th

I played Tau when they first came out, sold the army and now I am starting again. I understand they got pretty good in 4th, but 5th has changed things. I picked up 1 Crisis commander, 2 more suits, 2 units of fire warriors, 20 kroot and a devilfish. First units come back form the painter in November.

I was wondering what tactics and units are doing the best in 5th ed?

I have heard that Kroot got a shot in the arm and suits got the shaft beause of targeting.
achancesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 15:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Starting Tau in 5th

Not sure where folks are getting the idea that suits got the shaft, they've held up better than anything besides kroot if you ask me.

Low AP shooty armies in general have a hard time now due to the abundance of cover saves. Units like the hammer head, and broadsides took hits. As well as crisis suits fielding low ap anti meq weaponry. But... they don't have to run low ap weapons. It is a mental shift to grab the mass shot weapons, and flamers to take out meq (marine equiv.) but they work quite well.

Kroots big buff comes in the form of cover from other squads, which makes up a ton for their lack of armor save. Their advantage of being able to shoot through lots of trees and not suffer return fire however, is gone.

emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, from my personal experience the future isn't so grim in terms of 5th edition. I haven't played many games but the games I played went well in my behalf. Crisis suits have gotten a little gimped because of true line of site, but the trick to that is to start using more large LOS blocking terrains. Makes things more interesting anyways IMO.

As far as the kroot, I still like them. Especially now if there is an objective in a jungle. The new go to ground rule allows them to basically have a 2+ cover save while in forested areas at least. As before they are very situational. But they do provide a large volume of fire if called upon in mass numbers. You can also run kroot up behind squads of something because other squads provide cover saves now. Take a full squad of kroot and charge with a line of stealth suits, do they attempt to target the suits and not even hit, or target the kroot, who are now basically a tau with a bolter.

A few other things, vehicles now get a 4+ cover save with disruption pods. Glancing hits almost never destroy our vehicles now provided we have decoy launchers. Our multi-trackers allow us to move combat speed and fire our tanks main weapons and all secondary weapons (I believe, friend has my rule book.)

Try a few small 500 point games and see how things are for you, surprisingly the tau are quite versatile in small games. Or at least I thinks.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 16:46   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So suits are targets no. But I would think it would be better for Broadsides as they can get a cover save from a squad in front of them.

The wound alication rules really defeat the purpose of shield drones.

Kroot are really good now.

I imagine Steath suits are as good as ever.

What about pathfinders in 5th?

I have heard Vespids are still overpriced.

What about the two man skimmers? I have never seen them on the field.

What kind of commander do you take in 5th?
Old 25 Oct 2008, 17:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The wound allocation rules are actually just fine for shield drones in this edition. I wouldn't take broadsides without a few unless it was a very low point game. Even then I'd probably stick one on there.

Thing is, your units provide cover for your shots too. So if your broadside is getting cover from your units, then their units are getting cover from your broadside. I'd rather have some shield drones, have my broadsides in a nice fire lane, and not offer cover saves to my enemy vs rail gunning goodness.

being able to allocate a s10 shot to a shield drone is MEGA valuable for the otherwise tough broadsides.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 01:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
A few other things, vehicles now get a 4+ cover save with disruption pods. Glancing hits almost never destroy our vehicles now provided we have decoy launchers. Our multi-trackers allow us to move combat speed and fire our tanks main weapons and all secondary weapons (I believe, friend has my rule book.)
Actually, Immobilized only destroys skimmers who have moved flat out in 5th ;D

Quote:
I imagine Steath suits are as good as ever.
Actually, they have become even better. Now any marker drones in the team can move and shoot due to relentless.

Quote:
What about pathfinders in 5th?
Better than ever, we can get rid of those evil 4+ cover saves with 3 markerlights.

Quote:
I have heard Vespids are still overpriced.
You heard correctly. They did get a little bonus seeing as how all jump infantry can Deepstrike with the advent of 5th.

Quote:
What about the two man skimmers? I have never seen them on the field.
Tetras or Piranhas? Both are pretty good if used correctly.

Quote:
What kind of commander do you take in 5th?
The same one I took in 4th, a TEQ killing deepstriker. With all the cover saves 5th offers, you need to get very close to the enemy most of the time. However, this creates 23 things needed/should have in the unit.
1. The ability to finish off the enemy in a single round of shooting
2. The ability to get to the enemy quickly.
3. The ability to survive and possibly to some damage in assault.

The Shas'o Aurora (plasma rifle + CIB) seems the perfect answer. It can deepstrike to get there fast, has a high enough kill output to kill or seriously injure the enemy unit, and if given some defensive equipment ( I go all out with a shield generator, stims, iridium armor, and a shield drone to boot (2+ save shield drones ftw)), it can survive and potentially do some damage in assault.

The main idea I am trying to get across is that 5th made the Tau better than ever (though the C&C node no longer does anything :'()
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 01:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Shield drones are definitely handy on more expensive units, pretty much your broadsides. Anything else it's probably a waste, unless you have a high point cost crisis suit team in the open.

Kroot can be good now, they are still made of paper when in the open, but the new cover system I think helps them more than hurts.

Stealth suits yea, even better now. You can pair them with markerlight drones and they can now move and shoot. Anything with jet packs are relentless.

Pathfinders, not much has changed. In fact they are probably better than ever. Markerlights hits can never be saved against, no cover saves or anything. So anybody in cover has no protection against a markerlight. And you can use markerlights to negate there cover save with enough, so they are definitely in.

Vespids can now outflank, and maybe deepstrike (no handy codex.) So they are a bit more useful, but I'm personally not a fan.

Two man skimmers I believe are pathfinders on vehicles found on Forge World. Don't know much about them yet, haven't ordered any.

As far as commander, Shas'o or Shas'el are the ways to go. Ethereals are pretty much out, and unless you really like shadowsun or farsight, Crisis commander is it. Weapons are basically what you think his role should be. Positional relay for landing those perfect tank hunting crews by turn 2. AFP for mass troop fighting. Or any of your typical killing combination's that you like.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 02:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What are Piranhas used for in 5th?
Old 26 Oct 2008, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've had a lot of success with hybrid tau. And by hybrid I mean mobile with non-mobile fw's every now and then along with broadsides.

Lots of crisis suits. They win battles by virtue of not dying.
Old 26 Oct 2008, 03:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagine
Thing is, your units provide cover for your shots too. So if your broadside is getting cover from your units, then their units are getting cover from your broadside.
Only if the broadside's head is below the fire warrior's head, or it's so far behind the fire warriors that its LoS goes through the gaps between the FWs, or they actually obscure the target.

Proof! In diagram form!. Also read the third exception on page 22. Shooting OVER a unit does not impose a cover save.