Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Tyranid Tau
Old 24 Oct 2008, 23:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Anti-Tyranid Tau

The army I face the most is my friend's Tyranids. Now I don't really mind the bulk of his army: 1 Hormogaunt squad; 1 - 2 Gaunt/Termagaunt squads; 1 Geanstealer squad; 1 Death Leaper; 6 Warriors and a Carnifex. But what I do mind, is his damned Spore Mines that like to drop on my HH. He almost always hits them too. I need my HH, as without them, my army will not have the heavy backup it requires to take out the Warriors and Carnifex. I can't seem to save my tanks under normal conditions, so is there any legal way to take them out when they're in Reserve? This question could save me quite some grief.

rider_eragon

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 23:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Anti-Tyranid Tau

When in reserve, they're untouchable. So no, you'll need to devise a new tactic entirely in order to get better results. I suggest make another unit seem more threatening. For instance, do I kill the Hammerhead that's not in los to do anything, and hasn't killed more than 5 models all game, or do I hit that line of Broadsides that have already popped 3 vehicles?

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 23:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

as stated above, no way to take out a unit in reserve. If your army hinges that critically on your hammer head, you might want to consider adding some more big guns to your forces so that it isn't the end when he takes out your one hammer.

All armies have some tank busting ability, the spore mines are pretty much the only ranged tank busting that Tyranids have.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2008, 03:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would have to know what's in your roster to know what you can possibly drop to get 2 broadsides. Let's face it, with two broadsides hammering away at the big bugs, and the firewarriors hitting the little guys, then you *should* be good to go even if your 'Head get's whacked.
Old 25 Oct 2008, 04:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, he's got six Spore Mines v.s. my 3 HH, and seeing as there's no way to take them out in reserve, I'll try making him have mishap DS. I'd try the Broadside alternative if I had an available slot, but I don't, so I won't :'(...

But thanks for your help anyways ;D.

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2008, 23:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Perhaps leave a stealth team to either infiltrate in an area where the spore chuckers may land, or drop them from reserve later and hope that you drop after his guys do.

Tau have so many deep strike units that if its that scary, try to scare it. This tactic also gives you flexibility against multiple enemy armies, simply because a stealth team is a little more universally useful, compared to adding another Broadside, which may be overkill against a lot of armies.

Also, putting 2+ marker drones in that stealth team can help you get some seeker missiles on something if its that bothersome, and when figthing enemy armor, the unit can be very effective jumping in to hit some rear armor.

enoch is offline   Reply With Quote