Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Transport question
Old 24 Oct 2008, 20:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Transport question

I have looked through the manuals, and I can not find an answer.

Scenerio: I've got a full squad of Kroot that are about to have serious trouble. I also have a pair of Devil Fish that have been hovering nearby.

Now I can always zip those Fish over to help the Kroot out. But! If it is bunch of Space Wolves that I know have a hankering for chicken, can I use both Fish to extract the unit to safety?

The only rule that would have a difficulty that I can see was the 2" rule, so flying home in formation is a must, however, I don't believe this is going to "fly".

Comments?

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 20:40   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Transport question

No, you can't split a unit between two transports. Unless Marine combat squads, naturally :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2008, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Damn Ninja'd, but yeah. The Devilfish can only transport units that have 12 models or less, and not battlesuits.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 04:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Since kroot and other models can now ride in transports, I would like to see some modifications of the rules to make it more practical. I wrote up some very preliminary and theoretical house rules for a "krooted devilfish" that can carry more models (basically, it becomes open-topped and loses the options for drones or smart missiles), but that doesn't change the fact that the change to the dedicated transport rules wasn't thought out terribly well. Another couple of sentences saying that the transports must function as a squadron of vehicles until the unit is unloaded, and that the squad must disembark together even if it's from one of the transports being destroyed would have been fine.

I'd also like to be able to load 2 or even 3 sniper drone teams into a single devilfish, as there should be enough room. 12 models is 12 models, right?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

You'd have to adjust a lot of rules and forces for that though. It's not just the Tau who were affected like this.
Old 27 Oct 2008, 06:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't think it's going to happen. Think about the logistics of it.

The transports would have to stay in coherency. You'd end up turning 2+ devilfish into a vehicle squad like piranha until the unit inside disembarked. How many of the squad have to make what kind of tests if one of the vehicles is destroyed? what if the vehicles moved flat out?

I've played eldar iyanden for ages. It would be neat to be able to take two wave serpents for a 10 strong troop squad of wraith guard and cart them around, but they've never made provisions for it in the past. Or take two falcons to transport a squad of dire avengers.

In a day and age where they are trying to streamline and cut back rules to make the game more accessible, I don't foresee them adding rules now, simply because they would be useful for one more army.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 23:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You're right, it's probably not going to happen, but it would be an easy house rule. For simplicity, you could say that if either transport gets dropped the whole squad disembarks and such as if they were in the one that got dropped. That would certainly suck for kroot and their lack of armor, though. It wasn't mentioned in earlier versions because most of the transports in the game (yes, there are some exceptions) are dedicated, and until 5th edition they couldn't carry any unit but the one they were attached to.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote