Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha Tactic
Old 22 Oct 2008, 02:54   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Piranha Tactic

The piranha as you would know has limited armour, its best being the front armour of 11. Making it an easy target for bolters to shoot from behind or the side, To maximise your bolter immunity you need two piranhas and the diagram I have put below. Basically position your piranhas like so and they have a larger area of strength 4 immunity.

Also the piranhas will be able to fire freely as their weapons are swivel able.

Its simple and just something I thought of that others may want to use. Perhaps you have already thought of this but not to matter.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Piranha Tactic

While ignoring bolter fire is fun for sure, immunity is a difficult objective. Rarely do I face a marine squad that does not have any one of special weapons that can hurt my piranha. Another point is that when I do field two piranhas (that aren't a squad), they usually have different objectives and split up to accomplish them. There also might be cover issues involved, I mean if the marines can see their target at all, they can shoot at it and would be hitting its side armor if in the correct arc; its just that the other piranha would grant cover....maybe

But this is something that may come up when using a squadron, and I will be sure to keep it in mind if some angry S4 guns are getting too close.
Old 22 Oct 2008, 20:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Just remember, arc of fire goes from the center of the model, so those four guys on the right can easily get side shots off still. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 07:13   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Which 4 guys were you talking about? The ones with the two piranhas cannot get side shots off, It is still a shitty diagram after all. :P

But yeah mostly bolter immunity is better in low point games. But thanks for the replies anyway hope it helps in some small way.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 07:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

The only problem with this tactic is that it will only work in long range. As when you get too close the enemy will just assault you and get to smack at your rear armour. I played enough 5th edition against CSM to know they hurt if they hit the rear armour of... everything. Now I but Fetched dischargers on almost all my tanks. This doesn't stop him but can take down a guy or 2 in the process. (I'm talking about jump troopers).

Also he could still get side shots at the Piranha. He can choose which tank he'll shoot so if he moves more to the right or left he can still shoot the Piranha that's the furtest away. This way you get an Obscured target but he can get through.

This tactic would be good to stop them from assaulting FW behind them but that's a diffrent thing.
Sorry if this sounded harsh but rarely is it going to turn out the way it's planned on paper. I've learned this the hard way.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 14:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

That is the kind of tactic my piranhas usually employ, FW cover. They also sorta (more of a metagame effect) act to dilute shots on other vehicles like warfish and HHs. While the opponent may want to shoot them, its easier and sometimes more pressing to shoot at pirahnas.

Against CSM my piranhas did quite well. First turn they did their job (pair joined up to try and shoot down that approaching defiler), the rest of the game they drew fire. A fusion gun with two drones might sound small but I was starting to really annoy his terminator retinue, so he was forced to shoot and assault them (through pure providence one survived, for a while ... but was unarmed immobilized and stunned).
Old 24 Oct 2008, 06:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to wind777

IF majority of the units are in the front arc then all the units have to fire at the front arc. If the majority of the units are on the side then all your units fire in the side. Fromn what i remember in 5th edition the majority is king there for dont quote me on that just make sure that 6 marines are in the front arc. You can also move them up a left or right flank and then you have to bearly even worry.
wind777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 19:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

at $25 a ship are Piranha worth owning?

I am thinking that if I buy one I might as well buy five to have the ability to have a full squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 19:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

25$ AND 60 points...it's a waste of time and space.
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jan 2009, 19:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

They can be but if you have a lucky streak, a fusion blaster hit to the side/rear armour of an enemy tank could change the game. They are also good to distract the enemy and to draw fire.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote