Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Firewarriors and Markerlights
Closed Thread
Old 14 May 2005, 19:27   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Firewarriors and Markerlights

Last night I fought in a 4000 pt team battle. 1600 pts of Tau, 1600 Ork and 800 Eldar vs. 2400 Nids and 1600 Eldar.

Since I was leaving mobility to the Orks, I didn't field any Devilfish, and instead plopped my 3 Firewarrior squads down to cover the center of the board with their LOS. I know Tau are supposed to be mobile, but there wasn't much room to maneuver, there were forests on either edge of the board. Am I missing something?

Also, since I didn't have any Pathfinders, I gave my stealth squad and FW squads markerlights. I've looked around the forums here, and nobody seems to mention that much. I thought it was effective, it felt like I was calling down celestial artillery, but I would like to make sure I am not just being delusional. I gave my FW leaders Target Locks so the rest of the squad could do their own thing anyway. What do you guys think? Thanks.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Firewarriors and Markerlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainik
Last night I fought in a 4000 pt team battle. 1600 pts of Tau, 1600 Ork and 800 Eldar vs. 2400 Nids and 1600 Eldar.

Since I was leaving mobility to the Orks, I didn't field any Devilfish, and instead plopped my 3 Firewarrior squads down to cover the center of the board with their LOS. I know Tau are supposed to be mobile, but there wasn't much room to maneuver, there were forests on either edge of the board. Am I missing something?

Also, since I didn't have any Pathfinders, I gave my stealth squad and FW squads markerlights. I've looked around the forums here, and nobody seems to mention that much. I thought it was effective, it felt like I was calling down celestial artillery, but I would like to make sure I am not just being delusional. I gave my FW leaders Target Locks so the rest of the squad could do their own thing anyway. What do you guys think? Thanks.

well how did u do i mean if it work for u that good it sound like u played a fun battle 4000pt wow lot of models

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 14 May 2005, 19:44   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Tau tactics change somewhat when you play a large multi-army battle. Mobility becomes a little less important when we can rely on our allies to protect us from assault.

The only trouble with fielding markerlights in Fire Warriors is the cost. It ends up being a much more expensive Markerlight than those carried by pathfinders. Because it is a heavy weapon, it also hampers a mobile Fire Warrior team. The same is true for stealth teams. Having to remain stationary to fire it makes it harder to maneuver the Stealthsuits out of harm's way.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Markerlights are a sensitive subject as there's no real cut & dry answer to it. However, there is a difference between fielding markerlights via pathfinders and via other units that have access to them.

For example, Pathfinders are a way to quickly gain up to 8 markerlights in a single place, without having to spread them out in other units which have to wait for their one chance to use the light. Pathfinders are more dedicated markerlight teams and are perfect for it. Taking pathfinders shows that you have other uses for your troops, such as not having them sit still.

Markerlights in other squads, such as Fire Warriors and Stealth Teams, shows that you either are maximizing all the markerlights you can, or it shows that you're not that interested in pathfinders, or having all your lights in one place, to effectively keep them working throughout the game without the worry of losing them too quickly. Markerlights in non-pathfinder squads however, show a particular dedication to losing various squads to a sedentary style of play. Fire Warriors that simply stay put to fire a markerlight for example, aren't doing much else, unless they're lucky enough to have targets within range of their pulse rifles while the Shas'ui fires the markerlight elseware. The same is true for the stealth team as they sit put to fire a single markerlight, however, they're much safer doing it, but we lose an elite slot to accomplish one markerlight.

If you are already playing a very static force, then markerlights in all your squads is not a waste of points and is actually very beneficial. If they're already just going to sit, then having a markerlight spare is a great addition to the squad. The difference is knowing not to simply stay put just to use the markerlight, but simply to use the markerlight when the opportunity to do so outweighs moving the squad or doing something else with them. This kind of stationary utility is best suited to lots of big guns that don't require a lot of lights to function well (such as a collection of XV-88's and Hammerheads).

Should your army be constantly on the move, that's when you will hear people tell you to forget the markerlights because there is a different function for the units which requires them to not sit still, which means the markerlights are better kept in a different squad in a larger amount, such as the pathfinders.
Old 16 May 2005, 14:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I use marklight in steath teams and in firewarrior teams quite often. In Fw teams i usually pack marklight if the team doesn't have DF, and then i equip team leader with target lock.
And in stealth team i use it as backup for tetras as it can be used quite well if my stealts end up out of burst cannon range (for example after eliminating unit) and there is a question sometimes i gave a team leader targetock so he can fire independently and not reduce much firepower of the squad this have also second benefit that you can split your fire even with burst cannon (great for destroing more light vehicles in one turn)
Or you could give the leader Multi tracker so he can fire both Burst cannon and markelight but only on same target as rest of the unit so it is better if you are close to unit and you doesn't need to move.

And i was quite succesfull with ML such way only problem is that you cant depend on them too much as they are not reliable with BS3.
Old 16 May 2005, 16:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

In my 1500 pointer, I'm fielding 2 mobile squads, and 3 static squads. All static squads have a shas'ui with target lock and markerlight. Personally, I've found that mehc-tau are very lacking in firepower while they're spinning across the board in their fish, hence my static kau'yon squads. My 3 FW squads can pound away at long range, and act as a line and lure that i can operate around.

Regarding markerlights, I'm bringing my tau force up to 2000 points soon, and I intend to invest in a full 8-man Pathfinder squad, a stealth squad and an xv8 squad.
What I find is that Pathfinders, with 8 lights, act as a great unit to co-ordinate critical strikes against specific units-8 lights is enough for most of my stealthsuits to blast an ork mob to ribbons, or my xv8s to blast a terminator squad to shreds. Or a trio of broadsides (if i took them). And that is my Pathfinders role. Spot for my elite units to multiply their kill factor. Meanwhile, my Fws, with single markerlights in each squad are ideal for spotting for one unit weapons, like the railgun on a hammerhead, or my shas'el. So my FWs support my tanks, my 'finders support my elites, my mounted squads act as a rapid redeployment/strike force and my tanks generally blow stuff up.
All that said, while I am a fan of FW markerlights, and I'm starting to appreciate finally how great pathfinders are, stealthsuit markerlights are a waste.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 16 May 2005, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
My 3 FW squads can pound away at long range, and act as a line and lure that i can operate around.
Have you tried using Kroot for this? Assuming you can find some 4+ cover, the Kroot are more durable and more efficient at shooting than Firewarriors.

Of course if you routinely play on the desert table... well, nevermind.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 16 May 2005, 16:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
My 3 FW squads can pound away at long range, and act as a line and lure that i can operate around.
Have you tried using Kroot for this? Assuming you can find some 4+ cover, the Kroot are more durable and more efficient at shooting than Firewarriors.

Of course if you routinely play on the desert table... well, nevermind.
I always take kroot. Squad of 15 is obligatory as far as I'm concerned. My kroot are the perfect support unit for my fire warriors, and do great going it alone and infiltrating. They've caused havok doing that.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 16 May 2005, 17:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i lov kroot there my infantry for my mech tau army my only static beside PF

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 16 May 2005, 17:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
i lov kroot there my infantry for my mech tau army my only static beside PF
Well, I just prefer a hybrid force. My friends list has just 1 mounted FW squad, the rest are static, 3 hammerheads a sole suit and etherial, and its the most vicious tau list i've ever seen. 5 massacres at WARPCON won him the tournament.

Closed Thread