Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Expanding my Tau
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:09   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Expanding my Tau

This is my first non-introduction forum post, so 'hello'.

I've played Nurgle-centric CSM since 2nd edition, but as soon as the Tau came out I fell in love with the models and started a small Tau force on the side. I had not brought them out for a game in a long time but did so last night. I played two games and was rolled over both times. I'm the first to admit that I'm not much of a Tau tactician, having not used them for so long. Both games were against the new Space Marine book.

I was hoping to get some advice on what I should purchase to expand my forces. I'm not looking for MEQ meta, just the things that will help me build a better more balanced list.

Here's what I own:
1x Commander
1x Ethereal
6x Crisis Suits
5x Stealth Suits
24x Fire Warriors
20x Kroot (4x Kroot Hounds)
7x Pathfinders
2x Broadsides
1x Sniper Drone Team
2x Hammerheads

Now I already plan on boosting my Fire Warrior numbers. I'm also keen on getting three Piranha. I'm interested in any suggestions you guys may have to give myself better options. Thanks!

I'm better at L5R than I am at 40K.
PlaguedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Expanding my Tau

Get 2 more sniper drone team for the full 3 teams lot. they aren't mobile but they are good anti-MEQ unit...worse case they focus on three small target (they can be field seperately) while the rest shoot at them.

You need a devil fish for your pathfinder...and make is a warfish (devilfish with SMS) it has more puch to them.

A third broadside could be a decent option especially if you field them with TL plasma rifle with a multi tracker the TL railgun\TL plasma rifle is quite deadly too.

The rest looks pretty solid.

Weaponwise I would suggest a healthy mix of plasma rifle\melta gun (high penetration) and some missile pod/burst cannon (high rate of fire)...sometimes more shots is better then less shot with high AP.

The vespid are a toss-up Their gun are great anti-MEQ, but the range is pathetic, which remove some of their usefulness...thankfully now that they can deepstrike in 5th ed, it might also be somethingto consider for a 1 shot...maybe 2 deal.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
You need a devil fish for your pathfinder...and make is a warfish (devilfish with SMS) it has more puch to them.
My fault. I forgot to mention that I do own two Devilfish. I'll see if I can't scrounge up some bits to give it a SMS.

Old 21 Oct 2008, 23:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Get one more broadside so you can field a full squad. If a monolith comes down it can take 3 suits to drop it.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 11:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to ACE666

hey guys,

I suggest you drop the ethereal, i really dont see the point in taking one (unless thats your strategy) as I find their benefits outweighed by the negatives.

I agree, a third broadside to round out the team would go a treat, i know my friends hate them. Haven't used sniper teams yet, so i cant really recommend them.

More Fire Warriors is a must, maybe a team in a Warfish will provide a dangerous distraction to whomever you are facing.
But a cheap fire-support commander can do wonders (actually much bigger wonders than a commander who has been to Pimp-my-suit and came back with all those fancy upgrades no one needs, like a sub-woofer, automatic disc ejection systems, shock compensation, in-built wide screen, DVD player...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaliel
well to be fair wargamer, the lasgun is less advanced then the railgun, we use lasers for our presentations and I can buy one at the corner store for $1.25
ACE666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 20:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, you may not need to buy this, but I noticed that your fast attack options still allow you to slip in a gun drone squad. They are cheap, they deepstrike, they aren't bad shots, and can just MAYBE kill something in CC. Maybe daring AI commandos aren't your cup of tea but I more than often enjoy having them around to add to that SM worries about his Dev Squad's safety (they have never pinned, well actually nothing in my army has before). I mean they can DS in shoot at the Devs, maybe get one, then the marine can either 'waste' shots on them, or you get to shoot them again and assault and (hopefully) tie them up so they can't pump those krak missiles into the rest of your suits.
Old 23 Oct 2008, 17:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I don't like the idea of a drone squad. You are much better off to buy them for 4/5 the points attached to your stealth team.

My first thoughts were along the same lines as listed above. fill out your broadside and sniper teams.

I'd say pick up some more hounds too.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

knightperson: I'm pretty sure I will be getting a third Broadside.

ACE666: I own the Ethereal, but I've never used him.

Are Kroot worth while?

And does the Sky Ray kit come with the bits for a Hammerhead? I'm considering a Sky Ray and magnetizing it or something so I can use it for whichever.

Old 23 Oct 2008, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Yes the sky ray come with all the bits for a Hammer head...so you can easly switch from one ot the other.

Kroot-wise it depends. they aren't bad in CC (WS, A, I wise), but are paper thin so they are good for the initial assalut if they win initiative after that not so good. Hounds help improve thier odds though.

This been said I personally own about 80 kroots and usually field 1 or 2 maxed out squad. 20 rapid fire guns are quit deadly for sheer volume.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2008, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The thing to remember with the new SM list is that yes they have new upgrades an units but there more expensive an no harder to kill from our point of view.

What you take has much to do with how the SM players, If he has lost of fast moving units don't take sniper drones they are far to vulnerable, however if he likes to sit back and shoot then definably take these.

Ion cannon are great for taking out marines but remember to make there points back you need to shoot the most expensive squads, bikes/veterans.

Definitely get a 3rd XV-88, there actually one of our best sources of plasma for when they get close.

More FW as troops are now everything and kroot are no good at taking objectives (Even with cover there to weak to hold them for long if infiltrated there, and will never be able to walk across the field to one.) Fw in fish's are our only way of taking objectives. I would take 3x12 firewarriors give one of them a DF and one of them can get in the Pathfinders Fish and they can go for an objective while the other sits back.

Kroot are great just be carefull with infiltrating them as SM have access to a lot of flamers. use Kroot to direct the SM movement, by placing them in good cover in the middle of the board and making the SM come past you in rapid fire range to get to your tau in combat. If he spends time shooting your kroot in 4+ cover then you win as hes not shooting at your Tau.

Crisis suits are a problem in 5Th edition as there is now almost no were we can hide from missiles and lascannon shots, yes we can get cover but XV-8 units make perfect targets for devastators with missiles 4 shots can easily mean 2 dead suits even with 4+ cover, 140 points down the drain and same again next turn. morale of the story, don't take to many crisis suits, they just wont work. since you have to take one for your commander give him a plasma rifle and your choice of Missile pod/fusion, depending on how aggressive you want to be. If you take a couple of bodyguard suits which you should give them drones then you can have 6 gun drones and in cover there basically shield drones you can pass of shots onto so you should stay alive for a while.

Ethereal are another of the many tau units not worth taking, and don't need much explanations of why.

If your opponent relies on a particular squad to do most of his damage i.e sternguard or devastators then just pin them. i know easier said then done but with a full squad of pathfinders you should put 4 marker tokens on them shoot them with the sniper drones and use all 4 to make him take his pinning test on a value of 5. the pathfinders are only costing you 96 as there fish is being used by the fire warriors who would have to buy one anyway, and with the drones they only cost 176, which isn't to bad a price to pay to keep a whole unit doing nothing for the whole game as they slowly get killed by the sniper drones. get a second lot of pathfinder and you can lock out another important unit. with the price of the new units like sterngaurd costing around 250 its worth doing.

Stealth suits are nice units to take if the opponent doesn't have to many fast units, otherwise they get caught quickly as they have to get close to shoot, they are best used to harass and annoy your opponent into sending units after them that should be coming across the board at the rest of your army. there guns will mostly bounce of SM's but still have enough shots to cause small squads problems. don't forget if you need to, to charge with them if the squad you were shooting still has a man left, probably with a powerfist or special/weapon as they have 15 st 4 atks on the charge and you will atk before a powerfist and statistically kill him.