Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Mobile Assault Cadre: What is GW thinking?
Old 21 Oct 2008, 08:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Mobile Assault Cadre: What is GW thinking?

Does GW have a whole warehouse full of stealth suits that they're trying to get rid of or something? I just looked at the description of the Mobile Assault Cadre, and it doesn't make much sense. So everybody else doesn't have to look it up, it contains 36 fire warriors (makes sense), 3 devilfish (not too bad), 2 hammerheads (couldn't they have put the skyray sprue in one of them?), and 2 Piranhas (I don't use them myself, but sure). Here's where it gets weird, though: only 6 gun drones (although that seems to be in addition to the 10 that come with the vehicles, and I think that means that 2 come with each fire warrior box), 15 stealth suits (and the 5 marker drones that come with them), but no crisis suits.

They are selling this as a "complete 1500 point Tau Empire army", but it doesn't have a crisis suit commander. All the Elite slots will have to be filled with stealth suits, leaving no crisis suits in the army at all! Why would you force an army to have no Elite crisis suits, who made this list, and why didn't anybody check it before finalizing the contents of the box???

Also, the picture of the "complete 1500 point Tau Empire army" has another small problem. There seem to be 4 fire warrior squadleaders (assuming that's what the white shield means), but 3 squads. Two squads have 2 shas'ui each, and one squad has none. I think the painter intended 4 squads of 9 but the photographer arranged them as 3 squads of 12, but that's an easily forgivable mistake.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 11:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Mobile Assault Cadre: What is GW thinking?

sounds like they wanted to sell the guys and didnt care a lot about who bought them. the lack of a commander though... either they will come out with a new tau codex soon (with stealth as comanders) or GW just wanted to sell some stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 12:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Frankly, it would make sense for GW to have continued their Rapid Insertion Force set with the Mobile Assault Cadre, as the RIF has enough suits to be XV comms + guard twice, and the last 3 stealths would join the XV25s and form 3 6-man stealth teams.

This was what I thot at first when I saw the MAC come out... then I heard they discontinued RIF. Now the MAC just looks like a total waste of points and bucks. :P

Hail to the God-Emperor, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khathecleric
My love runs her Sisters with melta, so it does get rather hot for my suits when she's around. :P
I just gotta comment that I LOVE all the inuendo in this statement right here... hehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyrfalconXV25
Is that penetration only for vehicles?
What else would you like to penetrate?
Sisters of battle for starters.....
Khathecleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only thing I can think of is they must have been trying to keep the cost down to something that people could actually buy! The cost of the tau army box is quite a bit more than any of the other 1500 point armies. I didn't check their arithmetic, but the description says a 25% discount over the cost of the stuff separately and I'll assume that's correct.

Still, I wish they could have produced a better army balance for similar cost. 15 stealth suits, 5 boxes, is $100 US and 450 points of suits plus another 150 in marker drones. 5 crisis suits would cost $100 and about 450 points (assuming fireknife and separate gun drones). That's 150 more points that they'd have to make up somehow, but dropping one of the devilfish to replace it with a commander would help quite a bit. A $35 devilfish is about 100 points, but a $25 commander can be more than that. If one of the hammerheads was a skyray kit you could have another 60 points in seeker missiles for no more cost.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 20:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd buy it, if I had money to. Sounds like a good set to me.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 22:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you work the math out and don't count the stealth suits at all, you still save about $30 on the rest (HHs, FWs, Pirahnas, etc.) But then you're paying $30 for 15 stealth suits, which is sweet no matter how you slice it. Basically if you don't even put the XV25s together you're still saving money.

I think it's a good buy, but only if you pick up the RIF too (which I can still buy... has it been canceled?) This brings the total to $450, but saves you $220 total, and if you are generous with wargear will give you probably around 2000 playable pts, maybe more. The SM 2000 pt boxed set is $410, so we're getting a little more into the other army's neighborhood. The $220 you save could be spent getting your army into the Apocalypse realm and so the extra XV25s wouldn't be an issue. A $90 Skysweep would be a nice addition for the Apoc army, which still leaves $130... another RIF ;D All for the same price as if you bought all the individual models.

Although that being said, I'd prefer 5 XV8s in the box instead :P
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 22:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirro

Although that being said, I'd prefer 5 XV8s in the box instead :P
Especially as I have 30 stealth suits already...

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2008, 23:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

you can no longer get the crisis suits box, unless there is one at your local hobby shop. You can still click to buy on it, but it says no longer in stock. I called them about it and they said they have no plans to restock at this time.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 00:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Carson

It's not a bad set. I couldn't see myself using that many stealthsuits though.
Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 01:23   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ahhh well I guess the wonderful days of the RIF are over At least I got one when they were in stock.
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote