Warhammer 40K Forum

Drones at 4th ed. Rules
Closed Thread
Old 14 May 2005, 15:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Drones at 4th ed. Rules

Hi,

I'm from germany and have a Question:

on 3th. ed. i know how it works with drones added to a Unit, but how it works with 4th. ed. Rules ?

4th ed. says: If a Unit has different Saves, take the Save which is most, and all hits must given to the models with the most common save first, until all have 1 hit, right ?

Ex.

3 Battlesuits and 6 Gundrones:

Battlesuits : 3+ save
Drones: 4+ save

So the Suits gets a 4+ Save, but no prob, cause the first 6 hits must be given to the drones, if i understand the Rules right. And then you can use the 3+ save from the suits.

but when you have more suits than drones, the drones get a +3 save but the first 3 hits must be given to the suits, which is against the rules from the Tau Codex, which says if you have drones in a Unit, all drones must be given a hit first.

So, whats the correct way to handle this ?

Is there a Official FAQ that treated this problem ? ???
Old 14 May 2005, 15:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Drones at 4th ed. Rules

if you have 3 battlesuits and 2 drones, you allocate all hits to the battlesuits first with their 3+ save, then any remaining you may choose to allocate to the drones with a 4+ save.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 14 May 2005, 16:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i was to understand that say two plasma rifle rounds and three heavy bolter rounds where fired at a squad of crisis suits with three suits and two gun drones lead by the team leader, the tau player says wich rounds he wants the drones to take before rolling anything... so logically the tau player chose that the drones where to take the plasma rifle rounds and the three heavy bolter rounds where left to the suits.

you the tau player says what rounds the drones are to take before any dmg rolls if ofcourse they are with in range and in the same unite fired at.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

It should also be noted that due to majority toughness rules, the drones count as being toughness 4 for the example you cited.* I believe it is still up to you which weapons get allocated to which models.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
It should also be noted that due to majority toughness rules, the drones count as being toughness 4 for the example you cited. I believe it is still up to you which weapons get allocated to which models.
it changes the toughness of the drones?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 14 May 2005, 19:41   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't have my rulebook at home, so you will need to check me, but the way I understood it is this:

1. Your opponent rolls to hit with all weapons from one unit.
2. Your opponent rolls to wound with all weapons, using the majority toughness of the your unit (in this case 4).
3. Because you have mixed armor, you must allocate wounding hits to the majority type first (the battlesuits), then the minority (the drones). This is the first time you actually need to divide shots up between different models. If there were no mixed-armor considerations (as in a unit of Fire Warriors with drones), you would just choose which models to remove after you had rolled your armor saves. There is a special rule if your opponent causes more hits than you have models in the squad, but you will need to look it up.
Old 14 May 2005, 20:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

@Pazifist - Welcome aboard. Where abouts in Germany do you live?
To answer your question simply: Please read through the v4.01 FAQ first. The codex rules for drones were dropped and we now have to live with the Multiple Toughness rule in the 4th edition rule book.

If a unit contains models which have two different toughness values, you use the toughness of the majority unit. If no majority exists, you use the lowest toughness in the unit. What this means is that if the drones in a crisis unit are equal to or greater than in number to the suits, all your suits have an effective toughness of 3 and can be insta-killed by a S6 weapon. In other words, having drones makes it a lot easier to kill the suits in some cases especially for an IC (e.g., an IC and two drones taking 3 wounds from a starcannon).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 15 May 2005, 17:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Damn, that's pretty bad to hear this.

@Waldo: I'm living next to Frankford, about 20 km away.

@ Khanaris: I think it was that, when you have more wounds than models you have to roll extra 4 every modell. Ex. If you have 11 Firewarrior and 1 Shas'ui and gets 12 hits, than you must dedicate 1 hit to your Shas'ui.

@All: Ok other Question, make it now sense to protect your suits with drones ? What i read here its not a good idea, cause you can easily get instakill.

Old 15 May 2005, 18:05   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Right, it's on page 26. For example, if you suffer 12 hits on a squad with 10 models in it, your opponent can force you to make at least one save on a model of his choosing. It is a strange rule that I doubt many remember.
Old 16 May 2005, 17:47   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Just a quick one if i have a 12 strong FW unit and a etherial with a shield drone ataches himself to them, I was under the impression that if say a lascannon shot hit my FW squad then I could use the SD's invunerable save, but if failed would have to remove the shield drone?

"You gotta love them skelly's! Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones....."
Closed Thread