Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advice on Stealth Suits
Old 19 Oct 2008, 18:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Auroth Send a message via MSN to Auroth
Default Advice on Stealth Suits

Hey guys,

My stealth suits are a full sized team who typically come with a TA in order to make them really good at shooting at hitting stuff with str5 weaponry.

Yet I realized that this was a rather large investment of points, points that could go to other things like vehicle upgrades and some nice toys for my Shas'O, such as a shield generator and stim packs.

So guys, I was wondering if it is "cost effective" to put TAs on a full size team of Stealth suits, while the points could instead go to things like vehicle and commander upgrades?
Old 19 Oct 2008, 18:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Advice on Stealth Suits

good question, at times I am finding that the stealthsuit TAs are becoming a sinkhole for what the burst cannons are supposed to do. Stealthsuits are great skirmishers, but against marines they chink at best. For 50 pts I can field 8 more gue`vesa, or 7 more kroot. I can either get 5 shots more, with drones, or 14-16 on the rapid fire but unprotected.

People are looking at the gundrones now, and im actually interested in testing this out myself.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 21:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I personally really like the set up of Stealth Suits with Targeting arrays. It gives you a lot of very accurate shots on turn one. I've used this set up before against MEQ and hoard based armies and found it worked well against both. Hitting on 3s and wounding on 3s (Or better) is wonderful. But, it's only really effective against basic infantry, so once all that's taken care of, you have a rather ineffective unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I usually use thme ot harass my foes and with their sheer volume of fire i don't bother with TA. They usually run as is with Hard wired gear on my leader.

If i got some point ot waste I give them BSF.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 23:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Giving all your stealths targeting arrays becomes a huge point sink, I take a squad of 5, but only in larger battles, give my Shas'ui a hard wired target lock, a markerlight and a fusion balster. I use the fusion blaster for shots of opportunity and the marker light send seekers. The other four harrass flanks and generally just try to cheese off my opponent.
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 23:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

stick them with drones and a couple marker drones and you achieve the same effect, while allowing the marker drones to be used to reduce cover saves instead when you're firing at something that is getting obscene cover saves instead of the +1 ballistics. Or allowing it to be used for a + to hit for another squad, or to ignore night fight for another squad... the list goes on.

I'll take a 2 gun drones each (or just 1 gun drone each if you're trying to save on points) and a couple marker drones any day over a targeting array.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well lets see lets take a mathematical approach here 6 suits with TA versus 6 suits and a 6 man drone team because 5 man drone teams is so mu8ch harder for math....(against MEQs)

First the TA Squad
18 shots 12 hit 8 wound 2 2/3 MEQ down

next the 6 regulars then the 6 Drones
18 shots 9 hit 6 wounds 2 died
+
6 shots 2 hit + 1 1/3 (from TL) 1 rounded down which equals 3 total

so with the 2nd choice you get 1/3+ kills and another squad of Frisbees of death assuming you can get another 12 points or just take 5 but either way I'd still got for the extra drones and a nice meaty cushion errr... metallic cushion!

I could do other choices if you like drones was already mentioned so I did them
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 03:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

actually my point was to wiggle in a couple marker drones so you could still get the bonuses you get from the upgrades, get 6 additional models, and the extra shootage from the 4 gun drones. You don't lose anything, and you gain double model count, flexability of marker light, and more shooting for about 34 pts.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 04:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

I'll point out that for the cost of giving a 6-man team TAs (60 points) you might be better served by putting markerlights in your army.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 06:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
I'll point out that for the cost of giving a 6-man team TAs (60 points) you might be better served by putting markerlights in your army.
Mech Tau has an excellent point here. Considering that you have a full team of stealth suits that means you're spending 60 points on targetting arrays. Now consider this. If you factor out the devilfish that come with pathfinders, because you can use this transport for any other infantry unit on the table, 5 pathfinders only actually cost 60 points. This is great for a lot of reasons.

1) Accuracy. Each pathfinder hit's on a 4+, that means that out of 5 shots statistically you'll be scoring 2 -3 marker light hits. If you use let's say 2 hits to increase the accuracy of your Stealths then for the same points you've actually got a more effective solution.

2) Flexibility. In games against armies with low armor saves then sometimes you might be better suited getting rid of cover saves. Markerlights can do this, Targetting Arrays cant. So that's another reason to take the pathfinders over the Targetting arrays. Also, as it concerns flexibility, pathfinders can support any other unit on the table. So if your stealth suits dont have a target then the pathfinders can support any other unit on the table.

Now keep in mind that it's not all completely advantageous. There are advantages of having the Targetting arrays over the Pathfinders. In my mind it goes like this.

1) Independence. Fluffwise stealth suits roam the battelfield searching out targets relatively independent of the rest of their army. In game terms this also works quite well. If you dont want your stealth suits to be dependent on staying within the range of another unit to achieve their battlefield role then Targetting Arrays are a better solution for you.

2) Reliability. Stealth suits will always have the reliability of targetting arrays. It's a straight ballistic skill 4. With pathfinders if your opponent is remotely familiar with how the Tau work he'll avoid their line of sight where and whenever possible. This means you cant always depend on the pathfinders having line of sight to the target of choice. Having the ability to take your high ballistic skill with you whenever you want is handy. Also, let's not forget that the Pathfinders may get killed. If they're dead then they certainly cant mark targets now can they?

3)Foot print. When I say foot print I mean the amount of troops you actually have on the table. Sometimes it better to get the job done with a smaller amount of really elite units than it is with a larget amount of mediocre ones. This is especially true in kill points. It's better to have fewer units on the table that are tougher to kill in a kill points game. This could actually stand true in a lot of mission types. However, in kill points it really rings true.

In the end it's just a matter of your preferred play style. I guess you could say that it's the Kau'yon (Patient Hunter) vs. Mont'Ka (Killing Blow). My play style usually leans towards large numbers of cost effective units that take advantage of focus fire and interdependency to draw the enemy in and then annhialate them on my own terms. I'd say this would be more in line with the Kau'yon. Where as the using Smaller numbers of elite units to take the fight to the enemy themselves would be more indicative of a Mont'Ka play style. Both work, it's just a matter of making them work for you.

I hope this helps.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote