Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions that came up in my latest gameshop mini tourny
Old 19 Oct 2008, 13:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Questions that came up in my latest gameshop mini tourny

Just a few quick questions that arose in said tourny.

Positional relay - All reserve/deepstrike rules apply, just it allows a 2+ instead of a 4+ entry by turn 2 correct? And does it scatter?

Marker lights - I read somewhere that when firing a marker light the enemy is void of any cover save he might have, is that indeed true? A fellow tau player fired marker lights at a smoke screened vehicle, the debates began.

Transports - Couldn't find anywhere in the rulebook about saying troops cannot embark/disembark if it previously moved flat out. Debate with other player.

Reserves - Anything can now be a reserve right? But simply follow simple reserve rules, no deepstriking and the sort?

Sniper drone teams - Codex says 3 teams can take up one slot on a heavy support, does this yield 3 kill points for the enemy?
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 13:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Questions that came up in my latest gameshop mini tourny

Let see for the answer:

1) positional relay: Yes Regular reserv3deepstriking rules apply as well as scattering. It allow you to bring 1 and only 1 unit but with more accuracy (you cannot use if if you bring multiple unit)

2) Markerlight: as Anders added: There is no cover save for the markerlight proper...it's a dot in your general direction and to get a cover save you need to have suffered a wound. And you can use 1 token to give a -1 cover save...use enough token and you can void the cover bonus.

3) Me dunno

4) Yes

5) mm interesting question, You can indeed take up to 3 team for 1 heavy slot, but each are independant of each other (like IG heavy weapon teams)...I guess each team consist of 1 Kill point, 3 KP for a full team. But i,m not sure, I would have to reread the KP section on that one.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
Marker lights - I read somewhere that when firing a marker light the enemy is void of any cover save he might have, is that indeed true? A fellow tau player fired marker lights at a smoke screened vehicle, the debates began.
Yes - markerlights cause no wounds and therefor there is no cover against a markerlight hit.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 14:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekiel
Positional relay - All reserve/deepstrike rules apply, just it allows a 2+ instead of a 4+ entry by turn 2 correct? And does it scatter?
It allows you to bring a singular unit on, with a roll of 2+.
If used, no other units can attempt to deploy.
Everything else works the same as normal.

Quote:
You only test for cover to prevent wound rolls. All you need to ask yourself, is if the markerlight wounds
Quote:
Transports - Couldn't find anywhere in the rulebook about saying troops cannot embark/disembark if it previously moved flat out. Debate with other player.
page 70, under fast transport vehicles. Note that unless a vehicle is labled as "fast" it cannot move flat out anyway.
Quote:
Reserves - Anything can now be a reserve right? But simply follow simple reserve rules, no deepstriking and the sort?
I'd suggest reading the whole section on deployment. But the short answer is no, not correct.
Quote:
Sniper drone teams - Codex says 3 teams can take up one slot on a heavy support, does this yield 3 kill points for the enemy?
This one is actually a really good question. For lack of a RAW interpretation, I'd have to say RAI says 1 kill point per team. The sniper drone team does say "the team never counts as a scoring unit" so my interpretation is that each team is a unit. If each team is a unit, then RAW takes it from there, saying each unit is worth 1 KP.

Secondly, if a drone team from a devilfish or other vehicle counts as a kill point, I don't see why the three marker teams wouldn't.
emmagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The sniper drone question is a good one for 'ard boyz kill point rules, which I've used a few times since the actual tournament. I think they would give out 2 kill points each, but since kill points are awarded by force org slot and they take up only 1 slot? You could argue that your opponent doesn't get the 2 kill points unless he wipes out all 3 squads. Actually, something like this (IG squads that can split up, I think) might have been covered in the 'ard boys FAQ, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2008, 06:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
You could argue that your opponent doesn't get the 2 kill points unless he wipes out all 3 squads. Actually, something like this (IG squads that can split up, I think) might have been covered in the 'ard boys FAQ, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
Yes, this is how the 'ard boys faq clarifies it. You have to kill everything in the slot to get the points. It is the force organisation slot that is worth 2 points, not each squad in it.

Incidentally, I much prefer that rule. There was some sighing and shaking of heads on the dakka forums, which I didn't understand and they didn't try to justify. I find it really hard having vehicles that can give up 2 KPs per, and my guard friend hates his meat-shields being worth so many points.

As for reserves, yes anything (or everything!) can be held in reserve. Page 94 has all the details, but basically anything which you don't declare is using special deployment types comes on from your edge. Note that you have to tell your opponent how your reserves are organised during deployment; this means you have to decide who's in which vehicle, who's attached to which squad, and so on, and this can't be changed while they're in reserve.

Note that this can be a little hax in Spearhead deployment. You deploy in one quarter of the field, but your table edge runs the full length of the table. So reserves can enter in places that you couldn't have deployed them, even without deep strike or outflank. It's kinda like getting Outflank on your basic reserves.

And you asked about the positional relay. This isn't strictly related to your question but I'd just like to mention the use of the relay to hold back your reserves so that only one comes on turn 2 (on a 2+), then all the rest arrive on turn 3 (on a 3+) or turn 4 (2+, if you can hold out that long). The amusing thing about doing this is that you have the unit with the positional relay on the table from the start of the game, and have to keep it alive. Your opponent tries to kill it, but if they manage to, that only completes your plan by letting your reserves flood on.