Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Aun'va
Old 18 Oct 2008, 23:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Aun'va

In a 2000pt game, im thinking,

is Aun'va actually worth taking, because i have never ever seen him used in any game, ever.

Is this because he genuinly is rubbish

Give me your advice, cheers
Phantom1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Aun'va

Nope - he is beyond rubbish, he is a word that the filters on this site would never let me use - he is anti good! And that was in 4th edition - since 5th edition......well lets just say that you may as field the Ethereal chief sewage maintenance engineer mounted on the anti grav toilet bowl of doom!

He is highly expensive. (and not worth the points)

The ultimate price of failure rule means that if he dies (which he does easily)your whole army has to test or fall back.

He gives your whole army "Stubborn" - which in 4th meant pretty much fearless - in 5th it means you get unmodified leadership......which when your base leadership is 7 its not worth paying over 200 points for.

He is part of a unit of three - retinue so cannot join a larger unit for protection, and has no offensive shooting weapons. The unit has a re- rollable cover save of 4 plus, but NO SAVE in close combat.

His T for purposes of instant death is 3.....yes 3.....so if you get hit more than 3 times by a strength 6 or above weapon (with 5th ed rules) you have to allocate 1 wound to him.....if he fails - he dies. And your army stands a good chance of scarpering.

The unit itself (well his Guards) are probably one of the best CC units in the Tau Army, and (small Mercy) with the 5th ed retinue rules Aun'va counts as an upgrade character. But they have no saves and a Low "I" - so most armies will go before them and stand a good chance of taking them out. Aun'va himself is completely useless at CC and with T3 for Instant death and wound allocation (just like shooting) anything strength 6 (MC's. Powerfists etc) will instant kill him.

If he dies and your army does not run screaming from the table he gives everyone Furious Charge and Preferred Enemy........Oh great, he has made my Tau Better at CC.....still not any good, but better. Whats the thing most people try to avoid with Tau? Oh yes - CC.

To say he is a huge liability is understatement of the year, he is the single worst, most counter productive, pile of steaming (insert rude word of your choice here) that it is possible to put in your army.

Ethereal are generally pretty bad anyway, and 5th edition rules have made them even worse than before! But Aun'va is in a league of his own - the many problems he had in 4th edition gave been compounded by the 5th edition. Seriously, for the greater good, do not let this useless liability anywhere near your list - he offers your army nothing that matches the catostrophically bad effect he can cause when he croaks - which is often.

I actually think that instead of putting him in your list you would be better off just letting your opponent add his Pt's cost onto there own list. You would be at less of a disadvantage than you would be is he was on the field.

Old 19 Oct 2008, 01:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
To say he is a huge liability is understatement of the year, he is the single worst, most counter productive, pile of steaming (insert rude word of your choice here) that it is possible to put in your army.
Now I have to disagree there. There is one unit more useless than
aun'va and that would be a suit with multi tracker, targeting array, and target lock
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I beg to differ. That crisis suit could die, and not make the entire army run off the board.

As a side note, Aun'va can now go to ground, making him and his unit nigh invulnerable to shooting...

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasocastris
As a side note, Aun'va can now go to ground, making him and his unit nigh invulnerable to shooting...!
Sorry, but that's just damn retarded. That's the equivalent of saying SPACE MARINES are nigh invulnerable to shooting. We all know this is false.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

you can deny a marine an armour save though, unless you are tau (or have a flamer) aun'va gets his save...

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFTACP
You're playing the wrong game if you're concerned with things looking look like toys...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Aun Leketh)
I have a response to that... it involves a dreadsock... :P
steck_638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 02:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Quote:
Now I have to disagree there. There is one unit more useless than
aun'va and that would be a suit with multi tracker, targeting array, and target lock
I'm actually going to disagree with you. I would rather take a crisis suit commander armed accordingly than Aun'va to fill an HQ slot. For various reasons...

1) He's cheaper than Aun'va. If I'm going to completely waste points then let me waste as few as possible.

2) He gets a save in close combat. Aun'va gets no save in close combat... So that crisis suit is actually a lot more survivable.

3) He's strength 5 and unmodified toughness 4 against instant death. This means that when space marine player rolls up on you with a landraider redeemer and sprays you with napalm that the crisis suit commander will only lose a wound. Aun'va on the other hand will die instantly along with his bodyguard.

4) The crisis suit you configured is an independent character still. He can hide in another unit of crisis suits and grant them his leadership of 9 if he wants to. Aun'va and his bodyguards cant do that.

So as it turns out you're incorrect... if you make an apples to apples comparison of a crisis suit commander so configured and Aun'va then actually the crisis suit commander has several advantages.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 11:41   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ok, so thats me not taking Aun'va any more then

Im going to give you my 1500 army, it isnt a competitive army, its friendly and generally quite killable

Could you guys Recommend me on what to take for 2k and what changes i should make to my 1500

Shas'o with Cyclic ion blaster, Plasma, Shield and H.W Multi-Tracker
Bodyguard with Airbursting..., Plasma Shield and H.W Multi-Tracker

12 Fire Warriors
SHas'ui ,Markerlight and Target Lock

11 Fire Warriors
Shas'ui, Drone Controller and Marker Drone
Devilfish with Multi Tracker and Disruption Pods

16 Kroot with Armour
10 Kroot Hounds
Shaper

Hammerhead with Railgun and 2 Burst Cannons
Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pods, and Target Lock

Hammerhead with Railgun and 2 Burst Cannons
Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pods, and Target Lock

3 XV88's with Stabilisation System
Shas'vre with Target Lock, Marker Drone and Shield Drone

oh ps. everything that can be bonded is bonded

cheers for advice
Phantom1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2008, 12:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll give it a go! -

HQ - Really, your HQ is fine. One thing I would question is the BG, a single suit does not really add that much apart from an extra KP, for just 15 Pt's more you could ditch him and have a 2nd HQ with the ABFP. This would be more flexible, not tied to your other unit (and then both commanders could join other units if necessary, giving benefit to leadership etc).

Troops - Couple of thing here - Ill start with the Kroot, because I love them :P

I wouldn't bother with the armour - Cover saves now are far better, and even things that take away cover (flamers etc) are still normally at least AP6. The only time it could be useful is CC - but that's still only 1 in 6 Kroot saved....not really worth it. The unit size as well, you could happily drop it down to 15 Kroot, 10 Kroot Hounds. If you are going to go for the shaper (which I am not sure is really necessary, as without the need for armour you are paying for +1 leadership and a extra attack on a unit that already has a smeg load of attacks) Then drop it down to 14 Kroot with the 15th being the Shaper. (The savings you make here would happily pay the extra points to turn your BG into a second HQ).

Your Firewarriors are good big units, I would be tempted to spend some of your excess 500 Pt's on another DF for the one unit. (Depends wether you want to play static or mobile). I would also invest in at least 1 more troops choice (either FW or Kroot). Troops are your "Only" Scoring units now, so if you are playing a 2000 pt battle its certainly worth having at least 4 units!

Heavy Support - You cant go wrong with Rail Heads - and they are nicely set up. The Broadsides are also good, the A.S.S is debatable now, as the new LOS rules mean they should be able to see most things - But I still rate it.

If you were short of points, you could knock one (or both) of the Hammerheads down to Ion heads - cheaper to run by 35Pt's and excellent light Vehicle, MEQ killers. With your 3 Broadsides (and the Target lock) you would still have 3 S10 Railguns (capable of firing at 2 differnet targets) per turn, plus 6 strength 7 shots from your Ion Heads).

Fast Attack - you don't have any......Pathfinders are always good (well now we play 5th ed anyway). And would give you a extra devilfish transport to swap onto your Firewarriors. Can outflank, and have the ever useful Markerlights.

Also Piranhas - very fragile, but can be effective tank hunters, objective contesters etc - and for the Pt's value - Very cheap.

Elites - Again, you don't have any - Crisis Suits are pretty damn good in a variety of different roles - My favourite ploy at the moment is a unit with TL Flamers and Gundrones DS'ing beside the enemy and toasting - also the cheapest Crisis set up to run! And thanks to 5th ed rules - it makes a mess!

Stealth's also good - depends on what sort of army you want to play.

My best advice to you, would be not to just make an army - but make a plan - Look through the codex and decide what sort of Army you want to play (and think how good that would be against your regular opponents armies) - Decide on what you want your army to do in the battle and then build your Army around that plan - And you should not go badly wrong

Good Luck.
Old 19 Oct 2008, 23:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Aun'va: I proxied him once to see if I'd like to buy the model, you know for those 2500 points battles, guess what? I never bought the model...
"They shall be my finest Cannon Fodder, these men who give themselves to me. Like clay I will mold them and in the furnace of war they will become cracked and broken. They will be of tissue paper and whimpy muscle. In tissue paper armor I clad them and with the mightiest flashlights they will be armed. They will be touched by every sort of plauge or disease to help further make them unhappy, all sickness will blight them. They will have almost no tactics, strategies, but lots of machines so that they can atleast stand up to a foe in battle. They are my tar pit against the Terror. They are the bulk of Humanity. They are my Imperial Guard and they will know much fear!"

A fortress circumvented ceases to be an obstacle. A fortress destroyed ceases to be a threat. Do not forget the difference.
- Attributed to Leman Russ

My armies may sleep, but big guns never tire.

Surrender - or die.
Typhon is offline   Reply With Quote