Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of starting tau, unit advice needed.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 14:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thinking of starting tau, unit advice needed.

I am thinking of building a tau army, even though it will piss off my wife. I would very much like to build the army around the special char commander shadowsun. I have to. "For the greater good!"

Keeping her style of play and background, what units would I want to include in the army as I am unfamiliar with the tau.

Also what would be a rather cost effective army list to play. I am not looking at anything apoc sized just a good sized force with a few options.

Thank you for your time in reading my post, I have to. "For the greater good!"
Old 18 Oct 2008, 14:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thinking of starting tau, unit advice needed.

Oooh! Welcome to the Tau'va!

For your themed list, I'd stay balanced, since Shadowsun is a disciple of Puretide. Start with Shadowsun herself and the core of required Fire Warriors, then add Crisis suits and Pathfinders. Finally, add Hammerheads and maybe Skyrays. Shadowsun seems to favor Kauyon style tactics, so keep everything mobile and use deepstriking suits to hit hard or important targets. Outflanking Pathfinders will be helpful, too.

Once you have Shadowsun, FWs, Pathfinders, and Crisis suits, then you should be about 1000 points. Add the tanks and you make 1500 easily. To save money, don't buy metal Pathfinders and use small FW squads. Get the Skyray box instead of the Hammerhead, because it includes the parts for everything and can be built modular.

Remember the heroes.
viorlashasui
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 14:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

By the crisis suit character, am I correct when I guess that you mean Shadowsun?

[hr]

Disregard that last post, and don't think I'm an idiot ;D.

First off, definitely buy some Fire Warriors. Two squads of twelve. It might be good to have more if you have points left over, because only Troops choices can capture objectives in 5th edition. Also, get a squad of Crisis Suits. Shadowsun's weaponry is very short ranged, so if you want to use it, don't count on being protected by her stealth field. The team of Crisis Suits should move up with her and keep her alive.
For Pathfinders, get the boxed set that comes with eight Fire Warriors and the Devilfish. It's a great deal-$50 for eight "Pathfinders" and a Devilfish instead of buying the blister packs for $12 each and the Devilfish.
Sniper Drones. Are. Very. Helpful.
No matter who you're playing against, they're going to have something big and mean, be it that nasty squad of Sternguard Veterans (I think they were made to kill Tau >) or the Giant Carnifex that's charging right at you. Sniper Drones are great because of their stealth field. Since their weapons are long-ranged, they can sit back and pop enemy units as they charge across the board, while protected from incoming fire.

Hope this helps.

[size=4pt]Posts Combined. –RZ[/size]
Originally Posted by monocleman
... :'(
Awww, don't cry! There, there. You'll mist up your monocle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew pew
Games workshop hurts babies. >
monocleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you all for the quick advise. As for the Kauyon tactics, that would be the whole idea of the killing blow if I am remembering correctly.

One of the things that has really made me want to build tau are the ability to magnetize the suits, I really want to play around with that so I can easily switch up weapon loads. I also really like the clean style of the models.

I will be trying to start out by trying to trade or buy cheaply anything I can, because if you have seen my to paint list for my Ultramarines, you will understand why she would want to kill me.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 15:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masnagj
Thank you all for the quick advise. As for the Kauyon tactics, that would be the whole idea of the killing blow if I am remembering correctly.
You're welcome.

Kauyon tactics involve maneuver and ambush, it's the "patient hunter" style. Mont'ka is "killing blow".
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 18 Oct 2008, 15:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

lol gotcha, I got the 2 mixed up aparently. My memory of dawn of war has failed me since my comp became a paperwieght.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 15:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
lol gotcha, I got the 2 mixed up aparently. My memory of dawn of war has failed me since my comp became a paperwieght.
It's ok, DoW isn't the best Tau reference anyway. I know the feeling of the computer paperweight, mine's that way too.

Old 18 Oct 2008, 15:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah I had a good time with Dawn of war, but I really like the table top much better, its just a matter of finding people to play with in my area. Im trying to get my wife into it and it looks as if she will be playing demons or bugs.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 21:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Is shadowsun able to take a body gaurd unit? if so how many models are the max body gaurd unit?
Old 18 Oct 2008, 21:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Is shadowsun able to take a body gaurd unit? if so how many models are the max body gaurd unit?
I think she can take a normal Shas'vre bodyguard, like any other commander. This is just iirc, but I'm pretty sure that she counts as a normal commander for everything like that, but she just has special rules and set wargear.