Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to Tau- Army list and questions
Old 17 Oct 2008, 23:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New to Tau- Army list and questions

I am a new 40k player converted from Warhammer fantasy, and have decided the Tau are the way to go for my first 40k army. I have come up with the following army list, a real basic idea of where I want to go with my army.

Shas'o
-Cyclic Ion Blaster
-Burst cannon
-Shield Generator
-Hard-wired multi-tracker

Fire Warrior Team(12)

Fire Warrior Team(12)
-EMP grenades

Gun Drone Squad(4)

Hammerhead Gunship
-Railgun
-Burst Cannons

Broadside Battlesuit Team(2)
-Targeting Array

747 points

This list is intended with a focus-fire tactic in mind. The basic idea is for my units to leapfrog over each other as we move over the map; avoid, shoot, avoid, shoot. My main opponents are going to be Tyranids, Imperial Guard, and Dark Eldar.

---------------------------------------------------------

As I said, I am still new to the 40k universe. I have a decent fantasy backround, and am still getting used to the changes in rules. A few random questions I have about the Tau.

-Pathfinders must be fielded with a devilfish transport. Must they start the game inside the vehicle, or must they simply be on the field at the same time?

-Page 2 of the Tau codex marks them as "less than two-thousand years old." Page 4 quotes "The Tau are a young race, barely six thousand years old." In the first quote, are they specifically talking about the Tau empire, not the race itself?

-What models are currently circulating as Tau Gue'Vesa? I have thought of using basic Cadian infantry to represent them, but are there any that people feel strongly towards one or another?

Thank you for all your help with a new player.

-Sylax
Sylax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 03:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New to Tau- Army list and questions

For the Greater Good! Welcome I'm glad you chose tau i went step by step through your list and then answered your questions! Without further a due here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylax
Shas'o
-Cyclic Ion Blaster
-Burst cannon
-Shield Generator
-Hard-wired multi-tracker
Not bad as a anti infantry role if that is what you want him as then great.

Quote:
Fire Warrior Team(12)

Fire Warrior Team(12)
-EMP grenades
Good strong Fire base though if your going for the fire base you wont want to use EMP grenades plus I would never use them in the first place that is 36 points or 1/2 a broadside which is, of course, jesus in a battlesuit and also much more effective then a close combat grenade thing versus a 72" thing that hits 56% of the time unaffected and at strength 10 think of it this way if the vehicle moved more then 6" you can only hit on a 6 if it moved less than 6" its a 4+ if it didnt move instant hit its not worth points. .

Quote:
Gun Drone Squad(4)
Personally I'm a big fan of the Frisbees of death some people may disagree but there uses are innumerable

Quote:
Hammerhead Gunship
-Railgun
-Burst Cannons
Well in 4th edition you would want decoy launchers though in 5th ed. I'm not so sure in 5th edition I think Disruption pod (if I'm wrong please tell me) also you need a Multi Tracker so your vehicle counts as a fast vehicle.

Quote:
Broadside Battlesuit Team(2)
-Targeting Array
I would put Advanced stabilisation system instead (or both I dont have my codex with me but I think your only allowed to have one hardpoint with broadside) because it allows you to move and shoot apart from that you can look what I previously said about broadsides and how I love them so.

Quote:
This list is intended with a focus-fire tactic in mind. The basic idea is for my units to leapfrog over each other as we move over the map; avoid, shoot, avoid, shoot. My main opponents are going to be Tyranids, Imperial Guard, and Dark Eldar.
Tyranids your not gonna want to be even close to so try and stay away from them as much as possible, against them I would have 3 teams of 8 fire warriors... actually for every enemy i would. Imperial Guard I would say your not gonna have much of a problem against just dont get bogged down by his heavy weapons take them out!!, and for Dark Elder take out their transports and vehicles first which will be most of them... so try and out maneuver them which will be hard to do this may take a bit of cleverness your probably gonna need to trick them and then try and spring a trap (granted I have only played DE once)
---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
As I said, I am still new to the 40k universe. I have a decent fantasy backround, and am still getting used to the changes in rules. A few random questions I have about the Tau.

-Pathfinders must be fielded with a devilfish transport. Must they start the game inside the vehicle, or must they simply be on the field at the same time?

-Page 2 of the Tau codex marks them as "less than two-thousand years old." Page 4 quotes "The Tau are a young race, barely six thousand years old." In the first quote, are they specifically talking about the Tau empire, not the race itself?

-What models are currently circulating as Tau Gue'Vesa? I have thought of using basic Cadian infantry to represent them, but are there any that people feel strongly towards one or another?

Thank you for all your help with a new player.

-Sylax
1. Glad to have you Tau has always been my first love!

2.I believe they can be either as long as there all 2 inches away from a access point and in unit coherency. My personal opinion of is this Pathfinders can be great, they are great, but I play a mechanized force and though they are in a devilfish they are stationary for the most part and I don't use them often.

3. They are 2000 years old united under the Ethereals (NEVER USE!!) , 6000 years old since the where a race.

4. It doesn't really mater as long as it is imperial guard Cadian is sort of the standard guard I use Catachan because I imagine them looking more self sufficient then the regular Cadian

5. No problem man always happy to help! (Just a help full hint I would get some crisis suit with plasma rifle you need some AP 3 even if your not regularly playing MEQs)
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote