Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warrior BS 4 test vs. Orks
Old 17 Oct 2008, 19:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Fire Warrior BS 4 test vs. Orks

As Promised, I tested 1000 pts of Tau vs. 1000 ork with the FW's having BS 4. This is by no means definitive, just a test. I did not change the pt value of the FW's at all, and I had 0 Markerlights.

3 teams: Red, White and Blue. All 3 had 12 warriors w/ Shas'ui. the Blue squad had Pulse Carbines and a Warfish

The board is a 4x4 with next to no cover, but a really nice river and waterfall.

Turn 1:
Red: Fired 6 shots at T4 Ork Boyz @ 30". 5 hits, 4 wounds and 4 deaths
White: Moved forward 6", no running
Yellow: Transported

Turn 2:
Red: Shot 24 shots at T5 Bikerz x2 @ 12" 16 hit, 10 wounded, 2 deaths on 3 failed saves
White: Shot 17 shots T5 Bikers x4 @12-15" 12 Hits, 5 wounded, 3 deaths
Yellow: FoF, 12 shots at T4 Boyz @ 15" 8 hits, 6 wounded, 3 deaths

Turn 3
Red: 12 shots at T5 Warboss @ 20" 5 hit, 1 wound, 1 failed save
White: Moved 6" 24 shots at T5 Deffcoptas x3 @ 12" 17 hits, 11 wounds, 3 deaths
Yellow:Moved 6" 11 Shots at T4 Boyz @ 11". 8 hits, 6 wounded, 3 deaths

Game was over at this point. Only the warboss was alive. The Tau forces were
1 'O CIB/BC/ABFP HWMT
6 Stealth w/ 6 GD and 3 TA
24 FW w/ Pulse Rifle in 2x12
12 FW w/ Pulse Carbine and Warfish
1 Railhead

The Orks were (all i have)
1 WarBoss, PK, TL shoota
5 Lootaz
9 Bikerz in 1x4 and 1x5 w/ 2 Nobs with PK
30 Boyz in 2x15 w/ 2 rokkit, 2 Big shoota (i know, i can't. but i did. so :P)
3 Deffcopta w/ TL Rokkits

Over all, the tau lost the HH(PK warboss), 1 carbine FW(ork boyz) and the Shas'O(stupid boss again).

The orks were cleansed to a fungus, but for the boss who ran away with his tail between his legs.

TJ
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Hope. This is not a plan. This is not a solution. It is reaction.
Togashi Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 20:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Fire Warrior BS 4 test vs. Orks

there is only one problem with what i have seen and that is that u messed up on the colours of the teams. 1 second and it is red, white, and blue and the next it is red, white and yellow....... :-\ other then that i would say it was a pretty good post and win ;D good job

infidel
95% of teens would go into a panic attack if the jonas brothers were about to jump off the empire state building, copy and paste this if you? are the 5% who would pull up a lawn chair & grab some popcorn and yell JUMP
BITCHES!!!!!
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2008, 22:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Crud. That's because I originally had it the Carbine squad, then decided to go all colors and missed one. I'll try better on this one.

1000 tau vs. 1000 Salamander, same board and same tau setup as before. Salamanders are

Forgemaster
3x10 Tac Squads 1 flamer, 1 multi melta each
1x5 terminators, 1 heavy flamer, 1 chainfist

Turn 1:
Red: Fired 12 shots at T4 Marines @ 30". 6 hits, 6 wounds and 1 death
White: Moved forward 6", ran 5"
Yellow: transported

Turn 2:
Red: 12 shots at Marines @ 20" 8 hits, 2 wounded, 0 deaths
White: shot 12 times at Marines @ 20", 10 hits, 9 wounds, 3 deaths
Yellow: FoF, 12 shots on marines @ 14" 7 hits, 5 wounds, 2 deaths

Turn 3:
Red: 18 shots at marines @ 12", 14 hits, 11 wounds, 4 deaths
White: 8 shots at Forgemaster @ 14", 6 hits, 2 wounds, 0 deaths
Yellow: 12 shots at Marines @ 13", 6 hits, 3 wounded, 1 death

Turn 4:
Red: broke and ran off table after flaming death
White: 14 shots at Forgemaster @ 7", 7 hits, 3 wounds, all saved
Yellow: 8 shots at Marines @ 9". 4 hits, 1 wound, 1 death

Turn 5:
Red: Drinking beer
White: moved 3" after winning combat, 14 shots at Terminators @ 9", 8 hits, 4 wounds, 0 kills
Yellow: 14 shots at Marines @ 7", 11 hits, 8 wounds, 5 kills.

Over all much harder. Neither the DS terminators not the stealth suits came in til round 4. The stealth Gun drones and the BC unleased hell on 1 tac squad killing 7 and forcing a pin. One flamer wielding salamander made it up the hill to red squad and for the greater good, and loosing half their number, Red squad decided discretion was the better part of valor and ran. Terminators are double tough forcing the HH to solid shot and kill one, with another falling to about 20 pulse rifle shots.

My overall opinion is that a BS 4 gun line is seriously killy. I'm still not sure if it would be broken as some suggested because a good fast transport can still get flaming death to your lines on turn 2, seriously limiting your shooting time.
you should know by now GW likes to do it backwards... "Mr. Tank driver, drive me closer so I can hit it with my sword!"
Old 18 Oct 2008, 03:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Was this a sequel to this you said as promised can you provide with a link please I thought this was a good little shindig thing... it whatever it is I like it!
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 09:21   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

My suggestion for your tests would be to make the Pulse Rifle Heavy 1 instead of Rapid Fire. That should go some way to balancing Bs 4 Firewarriors. It also makes you really stop and think about whether to take Rifles or Carbines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 10:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
My suggestion for your tests would be to make the Pulse Rifle Heavy 1 instead of Rapid Fire. That should go some way to balancing Bs 4 Firewarriors. It also makes you really stop and think about whether to take Rifles or Carbines.
not really. it cripples tau short range firepower. heavy 1 is no balance to bs4.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 11:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
not really. it cripples tau short range firepower. heavy 1 is no balance to bs4.
Indeed.
Another idea, instead of BS4, is to make the Pulse Rifle Heavy 2/24" or Heavy 2/30".

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 16:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll try something new next time maybe. but i won't be able to play anything til next week. so if anyone wants to take over I'd be much obliged! It was suggested that a lot more terrain and cover be added in and someone competent play orks. that was my wording, not his. he was very nice and helpful about it.

In fact, if i may be so bold as to suggest that maybe a few of us all test out different options? One person tried out the Heavy 2 option, one try out those nifty charge slowing grenades, another work on the BS 4 while i can't this week. or any other things we want to test out. then we all post the reports in here for dissecting.
Old 18 Oct 2008, 17:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Another idea.

To balance BS4 (in some people's opinion), since the gunline approach actually seems feasible for once (not my play style so I have little experience there), why not restrict squad sizes? Down to ten or eight?

This will still be rather killy, as you put it, but gives greater incentive to lock them in CC. As well as making saves more important for the Tau.

Pros- Easier to hide unit and the devilfish look more attractive (unavailable for the 12. for example).

Cons- Slightly reduced chances of gunline (apparently) super shooter squads, smaller numbers mean more frequent tests, and easier to wipe out in CC.

Heavy 1 basic weapons is ridiculous too. Unless you also dropped points by three or more on every model. Which would be too much of a pendulum effect.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2008, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

That might not be a bad idea. i'd say 8. the tau only have 4 fingers IIRC, so base 4 seems like that would be their math base. That would allow maybe a small squad of drones to be allowed inside the fish as well, even if they have heavy weapons.

Though the dicotiomy (sp) of giving the FW a choice between at heavy 2 30" and assault 1 18" seems interesting. Give your gun line the heavies and the transport bound the assault weapons. Thought wern't we discussing wanting the carbine to become 12-18" and assault 2 with no pinning? that might be a good alternitive as well for that option.